WTF Is This (African LP Related)

RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
edited May 2011 in Strut Central
Stumbled on to this and am not familiar with it.....anyone know what a copy goes for?

Comments

• sakedelicsakedelic 247 Posts
    That's raer. Originals should be in the $500+ altitudes in half-decent shape.

http://savagesaints.blogspot.com/2009/10/peace-black-power-1970.html

• Options
    Great album. There was a CD reissue that I played to death last year.

• sakedelic said:

This is an understatement. A clean original is VERY hard to come by.

Also the sound quality of this reissue/boot is terrible.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    This is a huge find. I don't know anything about Zambian records except that they are all extremely rare. Even the big hit records that were pressed in the tens of thousands are impossible to find in clean condition.

I found a super clean copy of Rikki Ililonga's "Zamibia" LP in Lagos a bit over a year ago. A well known re-issuer offered me $150 for it, saying that this was a mass produced hit record and how his Zambian connects have found him numerous copies, only not a single really clean one. I decided that for this money I'd rather keep it even though it doesn't fit into my collection. A few weeks later, a friend offered me around $600 for it which I gladly accepted (and have no regrets about). Weeks after this a big psych collector from New Zealand told me he'd gladly pay a grand for a clean copy if I'd ever find another one.

The record you have found has to be much rarer than the Rikki Ililonga LP and if you would at all ever consider parting with such a cool item, I would not let it go for under a grand and a half, rather two.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Frank said:
    This is a huge find. I don't know anything about Zambian records except that they are all extremely rare. Even the big hit records that were pressed in the tens of thousands are impossible to find in clean condition.

I found a super clean copy of Rikki Ililonga's "Zamibia" LP in Lagos a bit over a year ago. A well known re-issuer offered me $150 for it, saying that this was a mass produced hit record and how his Zambian connects have found him numerous copies, only not a single really clean one. I decided that for this money I'd rather keep it even though it doesn't fit into my collection. A few weeks later, a friend offered me around $600 for it which I gladly accepted (and have no regrets about). Weeks after this a big psych collector from New Zealand told me he'd gladly pay a grand for a clean copy if I'd ever find another one.

The record you have found has to be much rarer than the Rikki Ililonga LP and if you would at all ever consider parting with such a cool item, I would not let it go for under a grand and a half, rather two.

Frank.....I think I mislead you.....I stumbled across it on Youtube, I didn't actually find a copy(I wish). I had just never heard or read mention of this LP anywhere before and if the cut I posted is what the whole LP sounds like it would be right up my alley. I'm going to search out the re-issue CD that was mentioned above as I'm certain I'll never find an OG.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    Frank said:

Frank.....I think I mislead you.....I stumbled across it on Youtube, I didn't actually find a copy(I wish). I had just never heard or read mention of this LP anywhere before and if the cut I posted is what the whole LP sounds like it would be right up my alley. I'm going to search out the re-issue CD that was mentioned above as I'm certain I'll never find an OG.

haha... my wrong.
    Here's some more info on the record:
    http://prognotfrog.blogspot.com/2007/03/peace-black-power-zambia-197x-afro.html

And some other wild Zambian records presented by my friend Pieter:
    http://seaneverdry.blogspot.com/2008/03/zambian-rock-revisited-mix.html

• MoSSMoSS 458 Posts
    gordon_gartrell said:
    sakedelic said:

This is an understatement. A clean original is VERY hard to come by.

Also the sound quality of this reissue/boot is terrible.

Ya, that's putting it nicely. The reissue sounds like a 3rd generation tape compared to the original.

Don't even get me started on Amanaz original vs Shadoks reissue

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

how did you ''stumble'' upon it
    if you don't mind sharing

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    never mind i figured it out

• HollafameHollafame 844 Posts
    That record is amazing. I was lucky enough to score an OG recently (cover-less unfortunately) among a few other Zam-Rock gems (see April finds thread).

I'm gonna get them cleaned up proper and save a rip or two for Record Day...

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    If you like this you'd probably dig a lot of the other Zamrock stuff also. The scene as a whole was more straight up rock than what was happening in Nigeria and Ghana.

Now Again did a 2CD/3Lp reissue of the Rikki Illilonga stuff (the CD has early 45s the Lp set does not) and Eothen said he had more stuff in the works. Check Witch 'Lazy Bones', the Amanaz record and the Ngozi Family 45,000 Volts Lp. One of the 5 Revolutions records is on the way also.

Probably a lot of the music from that scene is lost forever, sadly. I would think that there would have been tons of 45s (I have one Paul Ngozi that's great), but they never turn up.

• Options
    Rockadelic said:
    Frank said:

There was also an LP version of the reissue, which I'm sure is what was shown in the video you posted.

http://www.insound.com/Black-Power-Vinyl-LP-The-Peace/P/INS46856/

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    NomoreGarciaparra said:
    Rockadelic said:
    Frank said:

There was also an LP version of the reissue, which I'm sure is what was shown in the video you posted.

http://www.insound.com/Black-Power-Vinyl-LP-The-Peace/P/INS46856/

Wow...if that's the re-issue it really does sound bad.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    It's been speculated that the reissue was taken from mp3s downloaded from a blog.

Sounds about right.

• HollafameHollafame 844 Posts
    The original doesn't really sound all that much better. You simply will not find a copy without noise.

As well, the recording quality is not optimal...which seems to be the norm for these recordings. The vocals are way up in the mix and the instruments can sound pretty far away sometimes.

• Options
    HOLLAFAME said:
    The original doesn't really sound all that much better. You simply will not find a copy without noise.

As well, the recording quality is not optimal...which seems to be the norm for these recordings. The vocals are way up in the mix and the instruments can sound pretty far away sometimes.

It really shouldn't be a problem for anyone who ever liked punk or DIY stuff in general.

• i grabbed a copy of this monster (the reissue of course :-) ). the sound quality is a bit lo-fi but i'm still happy with it.

it's like with the old pre-war blues 78's where there's only one known copy and you just have to take what you can get :-)

• There isn't just one copy of this known and hopefully one day something can be done to reissue this in a proper way. There's a lot of the music missing on that reissue.

• All the tracks are on there, but the first three are in reverse order from the original. Also, it seems like the title track may have been truncated.

• HOLLAFAME said:
    All the tracks are on there, but the first three are in reverse order from the original. Also, it seems like the title track may have been truncated.

I'm not saying there are tracks missing on the reissue (although the switched up track order is a bit WTF), I'm saying that the fidelity is so poor, possibly due to it being pressed off a low-res MP3. So when you compare it to an original a lot of the sound (and all of the dynamic range) is missing.

• It's been speculated that the reissue was taken from mp3s downloaded from a blog.

Sounds about right.

RE: The Peace - Black Power

The record was reissued using a copy of the original lp.
    It was made by an Angolan/portugese guy who deals alot in african lps here in Lisboa.
    he also did one of the first reissues of this zamrock classic

meanwhile, other reissues have since appeared of that.

the dealer in question worked all over africa in the 70s , was married to a friend of mine here in lisboa, and collected records in mozambique, Angola, Zambia, Cabo Verde etc

many african bootlegs have actually been sourced through this guy.

peace!!!!!!!!!