Mustard Strut

cookbookcookbook 783 Posts
edited May 2011 in Strut Central
i just ate a delicious sliced turkey sandwich with some of this on it

i hated mustard growing up, but have begun to love it in the past several years. my repertoire is currently limited to what is available at the local grocer.

school me on that ground, bruised and cracked mustard seed goodness.

Comments

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Highly recommended...

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Our tasters preferred spicier mustards. The three hottest mustards were our tasters??? overall favorites. Interestingly, when we measured the pH level of each brand, this hot trio also proved to be the least acidic. (Note that a higher pH value equals lower acidity.) A peek inside the mustard- making process explains why. When mustard seeds are ground, an enzyme called myrosinase is released. The myrosinase activates the mustard???s dormant heat-producing chemicals (called glucosinolates), but the addition of acid retards this reaction. So less acid produces a mustard with more heat-producing chemicals. These heat-producing chemicals, however, are volatile and will dissipate over time. For this reason, we recommend checking ???use by??? dates, buying fresher mustards when possible, and never storing Dijon for more than six months.

Inglehoffer Stone Ground
    Inglehoffer Wasabi Mustard
    Roland Fancy Grain Mustard

and

Tarragon Mustard is my shit.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Is Creole mustard different from French, or Dijon mustard? It looks very similar.

If you're into hot condiments try

I used to live near the small town in England that was historically famous for its mustard, it's even mentioned in Shakespeare's play King Henry the Fourth, Part II.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    The only reason I ever darken the doorway of the bizarre and ancient German specialty store in my neighborhood:

• Creole mustard is similar to dijon, but not the same. Zingier.
    Real German mustard sons the shit out of everything else.

Paging Frank....

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    batmon said:

Oh man. How can I be down?

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:
    batmon said:

Shit is everywhere. It's the ultimate faux pas of the mustard world.

Go German or go home!

• ToccuDomuToccuDomu 225 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:
    batmon said:

You need mustard? The mustard museum has got you:

http://mustardmuseum.com/

It's America's favorite condiment museum, you know.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    cookbook said:

i hated mustard growing up, but have begun to love it in the past several years. my repertoire is currently limited to what is available at the local grocer.

Ketchup is for children, Mustard is for adults. (although I love both condiments)

There was a thread on Waxidermy recently on the same topic. But I'll post my thoughts here to save a click:

The following are hard filed, always in our fridge..

These two exactly, plus French's Yellow, Gulden's Spicy Brown and Maille Wholegrain.

Seriously, that Sierra Nevada porter spicy brown is probably one of the best mustards ever. Tastes good on everything, I might even go into the fridge and enjoy a spoonful on its own right now.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    musica said:
    DB_Cooper said:
    batmon said:

Go German or go home!

Sheeeeeeeiiittttt???I am part German. And that used to be my end-of-date deal-sealing line.

I don't believe I've ever seen that tarragon mustard though. I might could have to check my local grocery.

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    Highly recommended...

really the only mustard one ever has to fusk with

DB_Cooper said:
    musica said:
    DB_Cooper said:
    batmon said:

Go German or go home!

Sheeeeeeeiiittttt???I am part German. And that used to be my end-of-date deal-sealing line.

I don't believe I've ever seen that tarragon mustard though. I might could have to check my local grocery.

U should be able to find that brand or another in Astoria easily.

Fairway

I cant touch regular ball-park yellow mustard no mo'. Havent in a long minute.

• cookbookcookbook 783 Posts
    dollar_bin said:
    Seriously, that Sierra Nevada porter spicy brown is probably one of the best mustards ever. Tastes good on everything, I might even go into the fridge and enjoy a spoonful on its own right now.

Sierra Nevada mustard, you had me at hello! SN has been doing some interesting brews lately that have been making it out to the midwest. The new Summerfest and Glissade are delicious and can be purchased easily and on the cheap.

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts

Best sweet mustard in world!

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    hogginthefogg said:
    The only reason I ever darken the doorway of the bizarre and ancient German specialty store in my neighborhood:

The effect of this mustard is like having your brain smashed out by a slice of lemon wrapped round a large gold brick.
    It is the mustard equivalent to the Pan-Galactic Gargle Blaster

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    batmon said:
    I cant touch regular ball-park yellow mustard no mo'. Havent in a long minute.

ditto

its all about polish mustard for me (horseradish or spicy)

i buy a local brand though
    and i was raised on dijon maille but love me some german stone ground

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Last time we did a mustard thread I repped our local Beaver mustard.

Then I felt like I must be missing out, so I bought the most expensive smallest jar German mustard I could find. Tasted like Beaver mustard. Read the label, made by Beaver mustard.

• KaushikKaushik 320 Posts
    Basic, no nonsense, traditional hot mustard is what I go with. Just a dab does it. Potent enough to clear your sinuses and make your eyes tear up. Not that frou frou whole grain dijon with white wine stuff.

Kaushik said:
    Basic, no nonsense, traditional hot mustard is what I go with. Just a dab does it. Potent enough to clear your sinuses and make your eyes tear up. Not that frou frou whole grain dijon with white wine stuff.

grape juice is the og

• dwyhajlodwyhajlo 420 Posts
    I mostly just use Monastery Mustard these days.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    http://www.newyorker.com/archive/2004/09/06/040906fa_fact_gladwell

"The Ketchup Conundrum" is a pretty good read about America's favorite two condiments.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    Last time we did a mustard thread I repped our local Beaver mustard.

Then I felt like I must be missing out, so I bought the most expensive smallest jar German mustard I could find. Tasted like Beaver mustard. Read the label, made by Beaver mustard.

This and the sweet 'n hot!

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    batmon said:

YES!!! B/W It's unbelievably hard to find this outside France.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Flomotion said:
    batmon said:

YES!!! B/W It's unbelievably hard to find this outside France.

for my personal taste i hate that stuff but it's very easy to find in canada

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    this dijon is not bad at all, but it is violently hot...practically wasabi