Fishbone Or Bad Brains

2»

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Fishbone friends of mine werent the same as the kids who were straight up Hardcore fans.

My sister and her friends though FB was cool, but they were not fucking w/ no Bad Brains moshpit.

FB just seem a little more Fusion/Pop to me and wasnt the same as Bad Brains besides being Black under the Rock umbrella.

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    Fishbone for me, but my Bad Brains experience is limited to "Bad Brains," and I followed Fishbone from "Party at Ground Zero," to "Give a Monkey a Brain..."

I saw Living Coulor open for FB back in 88. Everyone came to the show wondering why this big national act was opening for FB and they left with their faces melted off realizing why. Also saw FB and Murphy's Law open for the Beastie Boys in... 87 I think, and they tore down the Paramount!

• esskayesskay 221 Posts
    Classic bill in the mid '80's in LA-think it was The Palladium-Fishbone with special guests Trouble Funk & The Vandals

• SpacechoSpacecho 176 Posts
    Cosmo said:

"Give A Monkey A Brain..." is a criminally underrated album..

yes!

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    djkingotto said:
    Also saw FB and Murphy's Law open for the Beastie Boys in... 87 I think, and they tore down the Paramount!

I saw the same tour but instead of Fishbone it was Public Enemy and Murphy's Law opening for Beasties.

• overflooverflo 59 Posts
    bad brains!

• coolchriscoolchris 301 Posts
    esskay said:
    Classic bill in the mid '80's in LA-think it was The Palladium-Fishbone with special guests Trouble Funk & The Vandals
    I was at the show as well Steve! The palladium was the ultimate. I saw too many good shows there between 87-90. Public Enemy Yo bum rush the show tour, Beasties License to Ill tour, NWA opening for salt n pepa with L.L. headlining. The Show was a all out blood/crip war with L.L. never able to play. Turned into a riot. Fishbone never put on a show that was anything less than amazing. They were my hero's back then.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    batmon said:
    Fishbone friends of mine werent the same as the kids who were straight up Hardcore fans.

My sister and her friends though FB was cool, but they were not fucking w/ no Bad Brains moshpit.

I recently witnessed three black girls in 2011 who weren't about to fuck with no Fishbone moshpit.

I was watching the Fishbone documentary a few weeks ago. Seated behind me were three African-American women, probably in their late teens or early twenties, who just flat-out did not get it. God only knows why they were at the screening in the first place; because it was free and something to do?

They were talking all through the flick, commenting (negatively) on all the things that Fishbone was known for? "Stage-diving? Why's he doing that?" "Punk?" "Why is his hair so weird?" Commenting on a scene where one member is talking about their lack of a substantial black following, juxtaposed with Angelo Moore singing "Say It Loud - I'm Black & I'm Proud": "Finally! Yeah, that's right!" When they showed a brief segment of "Everyday Sunshine," their would-be Accessible Pop Hit: "That's the best thing they ever did." And during the more poignant parts of the flick, they just refused to shut the fuck up. They finally left midway through the flick.

This was concrete evidence of what mainstream black America would have thought of Fishbone in their prime. I'm sure these girls were scratching their heads wondering why Fishbone couldn't have played it safe like Boyz II Men or some such foolishness.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Saw FB in their prime, easily the best live act I have ever witnessed so I'd have to go with them.

As for Bad Brains, I just don't get it on a musical level. Actually I could say that about most hardcore bands. The music just doesn't swing enough (save some DK, Black Flag, and few others). It's all id and sweat. I'm lover not a fighter. Fishbone is for lovers. I'd like to add that I have listened to every single BB release so I am aware that I could be missing something.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    batmon said:

FB just seem a little more Fusion/Pop to me and wasnt the same as Bad Brains besides being Black under the Rock umbrella.

Yep. And the rock umbrella is too large to just randomly throw two black groups together and see which one people prefer.

With all due respect to those whose musical tastes I otherwise agree with, Fishbone is one of the most annoying bands to have ever assaulted my ears.
    File under bassie's personal hell: Fishbone and Primus non-stop. Wacky slap-happy noisey music - cripes.

Skin tone and hair texture aside, Bad Brains is one of the best HC bands ever...who also managed to record some reggae that wasn't totally cheeseball.
    They are still one the best live bands I have ever seen over a 10+ years span and one of about five HC bands I still pull out to listen to on the regular.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    Having seen Bad Brains with the full OG lineup back in the early 90s i can only say you CANNOT fuck with bad brains - greatest live band i have EVER witnessed.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    pickwick33 said:
    batmon said:

I recently witnessed three black girls in 2011 who weren't about to fuck with no Fishbone moshpit.

I was watching the Fishbone documentary a few weeks ago. Seated behind me were three African-American women, probably in their late teens or early twenties, who just flat-out did not get it. God only knows why they were at the screening in the first place; because it was free and something to do?

They were talking all through the flick, commenting (negatively) on all the things that Fishbone was known for? "Stage-diving? Why's he doing that?" "Punk?" "Why is his hair so weird?" Commenting on a scene where one member is talking about their lack of a substantial black following, juxtaposed with Angelo Moore singing "Say It Loud - I'm Black & I'm Proud": "Finally! Yeah, that's right!" When they showed a brief segment of "Everyday Sunshine," their would-be Accessible Pop Hit: "That's the best thing they ever did." And during the more poignant parts of the flick, they just refused to shut the fuck up. They finally left midway through the flick.

This was concrete evidence of what mainstream black America would have thought of Fishbone in their prime. I'm sure these girls were scratching their heads wondering why Fishbone couldn't have played it safe like Boyz II Men or some such foolishness.

U would say the "Black Mainstream" in 1988 has the same outlook towards (Black)Alt-Rock as they do in 2011?
    Black Kids today dont get a steady diet of Rock in the first place.

FB wasnt playing towards mainstream America is the first place so i dont see the big deal in seeing regular black folks not feelin the Fishbone, much less Bad Brains.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    batmon said:
    pickwick33 said:
    batmon said:

U would say the "Black Mainstream" in 1988 has the same outlook towards (Black)Alt-Rock as they do in 2011?
    Black Kids today dont get a steady diet of Rock in the first place.

FB wasnt playing towards mainstream America is the first place so i dont see the big deal in seeing regular black folks not feelin the Fishbone.

I don't either.

However, it's just that those girls were at the movie, in a room full of people who seemingly were either
    (a) fans,
    (b) sympathetic to the cause, or
    (c) just shut the fuck up and watched the movie

The three young ladies were neither. Like I wrote earlier:

God only knows why they were at the screening in the first place; because it was free and something to do? They finally left midway through the flick.

Incidentally, the racial dynamics of the people watching this was a 50/50 even split between black and white.