What guitarist has your favorite tone?

Comments

• InnerSpaceInnerSpace 443 Posts
    As a guitar player for 15+ years, David Gilmour and John Mayer's tones are the ones that stick out the most to me. Hate if you want on Mayer, he is brilliant when it comes to tone. And Gilmour's tone on the Division Bell album alone, good God.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    InnerSpace said:
    As a guitar player for 15+ years, David Gilmour and John Mayer's tones are the ones that stick out the most to me. Hate if you want on Mayer, he is brilliant when it comes to tone. And Gilmour's tone on the Division Bell album alone, good God.

so Mayer is akin to a brilliantly prepared and eloquently plated meal of turds then...

• InnerSpaceInnerSpace 443 Posts
    The_Hook_Up said:
    InnerSpace said:

so Mayer is akin to a brilliantly prepared and eloquently plated meal of turds then...

Exactly. :shreddin_it:

your username reminded me of another guitarist with a great tone, Michael Karoli

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    the iceman

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    tripledouble said:

I can't tell cause I'm at work, but if that's Time by JB Green & Born Again then

B/w

Exactly how raer is this ?

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    InnerSpace said:
    Hate if you want on Mayer, he is brilliant when it comes to tone.

BAN!

Total and unabashedly a SRV rip off.

He is a great acoustic player.... but still a bit of a DMB rip off.

Some other players I like from the (less is more camp):

Andy Summers (great aural landscapes.... not a great lead player... but his rhythms and electronics are next level)
    Lindsey Buckingham (never understood why he never gets props... his tones on the 70s Fleetwood Mac records are brilliant... plus dude does not use a pick)

Honorable mentions: the many incarnations of Alex Lifeson and the bizareness of Robert Fripps sounds...

PS... Can we get a Strutter shredder contest? I'm down!

:shreddin_it:

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    RAJ said:
    PS... Can we get a Strutter shredder contest? I'm down!

:shreddin_it:

I'm down.

We should have a looping braek lasting approx 1 minute for stutteurs to record themselves :shreddin_it: to.

• asstro said:
    Malcolm Young of ACDC - Great bashing rhythm tone that isn't nearly as distorted as you might think.

Huge fan of his. I also like Marc Bolan of T. Rex. Loved the blues-influenced rhythms in his songs. Tommy Iommi is another person I ride for. But my all-time favorites are definitely Johnny Smith and Wes Montgomery.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    mistermayo said:
    Brian May.

Cosmo said:
    mistermayo said:
    Brian May.

thought for sure you would be repping these cats:

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Yeah of course. So ill...

But just yesterday I was remembering this story yesterday my man told me years ago, about how Brian May used to create his own pickups from weird junkyard parts, which created that weird muffled tone. So I just went with that one. But there's no "just one" answer.

I might wanna say Blackbyrd McKnight too.

• Otis_FunkmeyerOtis_Funkmeyer 1,321 Posts
    Cosmo said:

But just yesterday I was remembering this story yesterday my man told me years ago, about how Brian May used to create his own pickups from weird junkyard parts, which created that weird muffled tone. So I just went with that one. But there's no "just one" answer

I also heard that May built his guitar out of wood from his mantle.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    Otis_Funkmeyer said:
    Cosmo said:

But just yesterday I was remembering this story yesterday my man told me years ago, about how Brian May used to create his own pickups from weird junkyard parts, which created that weird muffled tone. So I just went with that one. But there's no "just one" answer

I also heard that May built his guitar out of wood from his mantle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Special

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    I like Johnny Guitar Watsons sound.

I really like the guitar sound on the Found a Child sample for Bust A Move. Is it a Les Paul?? I don't know enough about guitars.

I really like the cheesy 80s sound of the guitar solo on Michael Sembelos Maniac. I think it was done on a RockMan.

jjfad027 said:

I really like the guitar sound on the Found a Child sample for Bust A Move. Is it a Les Paul?? .

Probably some sort of Gibson ES-335

• maldorurrmaldorurr 120 Posts
    RAJ said:
    jjfad027 said:

I really like the guitar sound on the Found a Child sample for Bust A Move. Is it a Les Paul?? .

Probably some sort of Gibson ES-335

Yeah, definitely sounds like a hollowbody with both pickups on.

• MR_ZIMMS said:
    Not the best guitar player in the world, but his sound! Maynard Parker !!!

good call

3:17

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    walter_chron said:
    MR_ZIMMS said:
    Not the best guitar player in the world, but his sound! Maynard Parker !!!

good call

3:17

His rip on "One For Scotty' is unbelievable.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Tonally I just can think of anyone as interesting as Jimmy Page. He's fluent in some many styles too. The power metal shit on Good Times, Bad Times and then smoothed out shit like Since I've Been Loving You. Get the fuck out.

• MeasureUpMeasureUp 26 Posts
    Gabor Szabo and Dan Auerbach. Say what you want about the Keys, but Auerbach is the only guitarist who has caused me to nerd out about tone at a live show.

• 1. Ernest Ranglin
    2. Hux Brown
    3. Lyn Tait

• Cornell Dupree is GOAT for me. i could listen to a loop of his solo on 'everything' for the rest of my life.

• holy shit Cornell just died on Sunday???? damn damn damn RIP

• sakedelicsakedelic 247 Posts
    One more vote for Billy Gibbons, Master of Tones.

Honorable mentions: Fast Eddie Clarke, Grant Green, Gabor Szabo, Keith Richards, Mick Taylor, Eddie Hazel, James Williamson, Ron Asheton, Tony Iommi, Randy Holden, Fred Frith & David Gilmour.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I co-sign on so many of these.

For consistent over all tone I will name 2 who have not been named yet.
    Albert King and Dr Wu's least favorite guitarist, BB King.

Also Steve Cropper and Teenie Hodges.

Also the guitar tones on Guitar Slims Things I Used To Do and Ray Agee's Tin Pan Alley.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    NomoreGarciaparra said:

Acoustic, Wizz Jones, John Fahey, Bert Jansch.

Acoustic I cosign Jansch, but (and no doubt I will unleash a firestorm here) John Fahey is boring and overrated and his tone does nothing for me. IMO.

Also I like Joseph Spence so much that I like his tone.

An acquired taste.

Also Rick Ruskin.

Also Pierre Bensusan.

• dwyhajlodwyhajlo 420 Posts
    Michio Kurihara has always been great.
    Munehiro Narita was a beast in High Rise, but I can understand why he would turn a lot of people off.

• arvidarvid 50 Posts
    If we're talking tone and guitar Keith Rowe deserves to be mentioned.
    He's has been exploring the sonic possibilities on a guitar since the 60's.

Btw, Keith Rowe's favourite guitar player was Jimi Hendrix....