Lynn Williams: Don't Be Surprised (Miami soul-R)

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited March 2010 in Strut Central

Comments

• Pistol_PetePistol_Pete 1,289 Posts
    argh...such a great track...that's around the price I've seen it go for, but it doesn't pop up too often...just a little too rich for my blood right now.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    This should be the start of a new thread called 'GEMM IT NOW.'

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    got mine pre-hype days for around 20 bucks. There was lots of copies popping up on ebay for cheap around 4 or 5 years ago. not toooooo rare

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Most of the copies floating around came out in the giant Miami soul/funk unearthing of the early 00s, no?

b/w

GEMM is the epitome of internet FAIL.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Most of the copies floating around came out in the giant Miami soul/funk unearthing of the early 00s, no?

b/w

You bugging son.

I luh Gemm. The shit I've scored off of there? Dude.

b/w

You bugging son.

I luh Gemm. The shit I've scored off of there? Dude.

$5-10 copies of 'Hey Joyce' and 'Seriously Deep' (yes, i said copies)

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts

It's all about searching for shit, and particularly when the dope cut is the B-side.

so yeah...i stared at it for a while...when i was a younger man i would have just dropped the cash without thinking, but I'm saving for a home (gotta cut corners somewhere)...the questions is now - anybody got a high quality mp3?

so yeah...i stared at it for a while...when i was a younger man i would have just dropped the cash without thinking, but I'm saving for a home (gotta cut corners somewhere)...the questions is now - anybody got a high quality mp3?

never mind! i didn't realize this was on Numero's Eccentric Soul...just bought it from their site.
    I can still spare 10 bucks

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Stop blowing up teh spot. Timmy digalot does not need these informations.

• fredfadesfredfades 584 Posts
    I got mine pretty cheap on eBay some years ago too, cause the title was spelled wrong (the vinyl is already spelled wrong).

What's up with this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140543445858&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_1907wt_1141

I can't be 100% certain but it still sounds like Lynn Williams and the backing track is also identical.

• Mongo_SladeMongo_Slade 999 Posts
    Dig and Suncut were both Henry Stone-related labels and it wasn't uncommon for him to recycle backing tracks, release one artist's music under a different name, etc. He was a master of jank but he released tons of great records.

MA: Yeah, I was wondering if this was just the Williams single under a different name. The vocalists sound identical so...

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    Different vocal but it's so damn close, It kind of bums me out on the idea of buying it.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Wow, I've had the Diamonettes single for a while now, and feel like I might've even sold one in the shop fairly cheaply. Always liked playing it out. Wasn't aware of the hype. Thanks Soulstrut!

pointman said:
    Different vocal but it's so damn close, It kind of bums me out on the idea of buying it.

Oh word? Ok, I stand corrected. But damn close!

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    The Diamonettes also has an Alston pressing that's much easier to find. Yes, it's the same backing as the Williams, but the voices are just off enough (discordant, as I recall) to be slightly less satisfying. The flip is nice, though.

That price is nutty. Miami label completists?

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    2x.

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    mannybolone said:
    pointman said:

Oh word? Ok, I stand corrected. But damn close!

If this really is Lyn Williams in the comments of this video: She also says the Diamonettes recorded "Don't Be Surprised" first.