What guitarist has your favorite tone?

downtownrobbrowndowntownrobbrown 446 Posts
edited May 2011 in Strut Central
Mine is definitely SANTANA. It is so crisp and juicy like cutting through a Florida orange.

Comments

• Options
    Mr Hendrix, always.

Acoustic, Wizz Jones, John Fahey, Bert Jansch.

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    Grant Green/ Wes Montgomery never fail me

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    One of many:

If the photo is accurate, he has at least 16 Sunn stacks going at once.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Leslie West

Ernest Isley

• Otis_FunkmeyerOtis_Funkmeyer 1,321 Posts
    The tone on "Tell Her" by Fred Williams and the Jewels band always kills me.

This one is perfect too - Jesse Anderson - Mighty Mighty:

Unfortunately, Youtube clips don't do justice.

Kool & the Gang guitar is always sweet.

Tony Iommi of course.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    guitar at 1:45, but the whole clip is great:

• fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts
    jeff beck

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

Ike Turner

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Me, of course.

- diego

• soundsrealsoundsreal 128 Posts
    Kenny Burrell.

Wes Montgomery close second.

• MR_ZIMMSMR_ZIMMS 210 Posts
    Not the best guitar player in the world, but his sound! Maynard Parker !!!

• mistermayomistermayo Yonder 21 Posts
    Brian May.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,892 Posts
    Larry Carlton
    Zappa
    Allan Holdsworth
    Nile Rodgers

• esskayesskay 221 Posts
    Grant Green/Kenny Burrell (I produced a show w/him 2 years ago)/Barney Kessel/George Benson

• maldorurrmaldorurr 120 Posts
    Phil Miller gets big points for acoustic, clean, & overdriven, as witness in succession:

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    Little Barrie

Brian Jones

Jimmy Page

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    I've always been a fan of the early 70s Les Paul guitar players (most of which played the holy grail '59):

Jimmy Page
    Mick Ronson
    Peter Green
    Clapton ala Mayall era
    etc, etc.

Of course.... the Strat tones, too:

Hendrix, Blackmore, Trower, and Scorpion's Uli Jon Roth (who is mind melting as shit!)

• ZomBZomB 397 Posts
    Dave Gilmour!

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    Eddie Hazel
    Lee Moses

Big cosign on Ernie Isley

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    cosign on Hendrix, Brian May, Uli Jon Roth and Grant Green...if I remember correctly, in his bio, it said Grant's tone was the result of a Gibson amp with the bass and treble turned all the way down and the mid turned all the way up...and Brian May's is an AC30 with the bass and treble all the way up and the mid all the way down (I think)

let me add BOC's Buck Dharma and Stooge's Ron Asheton

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    I don't know why, because I celebrate the entire Queen catalogue, but I fuckin hate the sound of Brian May's guitar solos.

He's talented as hell, but everytime he launches into a solo I'm like :ehhx2:

It just sounds annoying, like one of those dudes flossin for 10 minutes at a guitar convention

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    The_Hook_Up said:
    Stooge's Ron Asheton

In my opinion, it was a crying shame what Bowie did to his sound with the brittle mix of Raw Power. The remastered version sounds like a Mack truck, while the original mix sounds like your listening to it on a clock radio.

DB_Cooper said:
    The_Hook_Up said:
    Stooge's Ron Asheton

In my opinion, it was a crying shame what Bowie did to his sound with the brittle mix of Raw Power. The remastered version sounds like a Mack truck, while the original mix sounds like your listening to it on a clock radio.

well, Ron played bass on that LP, James Williamson is the guitarist on Raw Power

• Otis_FunkmeyerOtis_Funkmeyer 1,321 Posts
    Billy Gibbons really knows what he's doing with the settings.

Otis_Funkmeyer said:
    Billy Gibbons really knows what he's doing with the settings.

indeed...even the Moving Sidewalk's stuff has that bite. dude uses a peso for a pick...

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    NomoreGarciaparra said:
    Mr Hendrix, always.

I really like the sound of early 'fuzz' guitars... Mod/freakbeat records or whatever they're called. Don't know any particular names.

let me add Tony McPhee (Groundhogs)....just found out recently dude doesnt use a pick, makes those excellent sounding solos all the more impressive and those rich, complicated riffs make more sense now...

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    Malcolm Young of ACDC - Great bashing rhythm tone that isn't nearly as distorted as you might think.
    Eddie Van Halen - Only up to 1981 or so though, after that there's too many glossy effects.
    Greg Ginn - Totally raw, blown out speaker, solid-state amp mayhem. The opposite of the Santana, Hendrix buttery smooth tube tone, perfect for Black Flag's music.
    Curtis Mayfield - Sweet and chiming, probably as much due to his playing style as his amp or guitar.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    The_Hook_Up said:
    DB_Cooper said:
    The_Hook_Up said:
    Stooge's Ron Asheton

well, Ron played bass on that LP, James Williamson is the guitarist on Raw Power

I'm going to back quietly out of the room and pretend that I'm not an idiot.