Soundcloud Phase Cancellation

DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
edited May 2011 in Strut Central
Guessing this happens because the preview file is streaming mono, but damn its annoying. I have a grip of new stuff i want to upload and share. We went through a lot of tedious effort to mix and master it so it would sound great, only to have the previews dip in and out. Has any one else experienced this? Is this a common quirk in most streaming players?

i found this on the support board with no replies:
http://support.soundcloud.com/soundcloud/topics/why_are_my_aif_files_clipping_after_being_uploaded_to_soundcloud

There is an HTML5 audio option, but apparently it only works with Safari and Chrome. I'm not even sure this will help.

Comments

• johnblackjohnblack 147 Posts
    the widgets downgrade the audio / stream to 128kbps as well, won't be helping.
    Has it compromised the original uploaded file if you download it?

It's a tough one, you want the previews to be an honest / reliable representation of your track, but I guess the quality is kept low to prevent (apparently) rampant ripping of tracks.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    128 i understand... whole parts dipping in and out arent going to cut it.

• AndreBretonAndreBreton 344 Posts
    MONO? ARE YOU FUCKING KIDING ME? IF THIS IS TRUE IM ABOUT TO DROP SOUNDCLOUD WITH A QUICKNESS!

MONO IS DEAD!!!!!!!!

:lol:

"Does SoundCloud apply bit-rate compression when I upload tracks?
    In order for users to hear music rapidly on the SoundCloud platform, we re-encode every track to high quality 128 kbps MP3s. However, if you make your file Downloadable, then users who have access to it will be able to download the original file with the original kbps (whether it???s AIFF, WAVE, MP3, etc.)."

pages of back and forth on quality etc...

http://soundcloud.com/forums/gear-studio/soundcloud-player-audio-quality?page=1

personally, i haven't had problems with the audio, other than the 128 stream being fairly noticeable sometimes, never had any phasing or distortion or clipping etc.

Is it just a particular track, or is every track you upload having the same issue?

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    johnblack said:
    personally, i haven't had problems with the audio, other than the 128 stream being fairly noticeable sometimes, never had any phasing or distortion or clipping etc.

Is it just a particular track, or is every track you upload having the same issue?

I've noticed it on a few tracks. some mastered, some not. some were 24 bit some were 16. the only thing i can come up with is that it makes them mono.

just uploaded a quick test WAV, stereo panned left then right, web player is STEREO.

• AndreBretonAndreBreton 344 Posts
    johnblack said:
    just uploaded a quick test WAV, stereo panned left then right, web player is STEREO.

Phew! Thanks for checkin'.

I had assumed it was stereo, but there was no mention anywhere that i could find, so just had to check!

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    looks like 32 bit float conversion was my problem, sorry if i alarmed anyone.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    Possum Tom said:
    looks like 32 bit float conversion was my problem, sorry if i alarmed anyone.

What is this? When I'm ripping vinyl to WAV through Audacity, I try and get the best quality possible and have played around with float conversion - usually have as 'shaped'. Is this good, or not good?

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    Whatever algorithm sc uses to convert has issues with 32 bit float (I think anything over 16 for that matter). But yeah if you wanted to reproduce your recordings on an analog medium, that would have the best outcome.