grandpa shig

wholewheatwholewheat 437 Posts
edited May 2011 in Strut Central
listening to the chuntis chavalas y cholos mix for the first time in a year or so... any chance you can tell me who's doing the version of lampara sin luz that starts off the mix?

much thanks.

Comments

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    I thought it was Paquita La Del Barrio, but I was way off.

And apparently, there are many, many versions of this song.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    i cant remember off the top of my head. but it was by a duet and it was on mariachi records out of oakland, ca.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    I seem to remember this mix was bizarre, please to repost?

i dont think its bizarre, some of it is fairly common among certain circles.im pretty sure art laboe flips lo mucho from time to time, and rigo tovar was a giant in mexico. but yeah, no salsa or boogaloo or nothin. just the straight doo doo from ca, az, and tx. enjoy again!

http://www.divshare.com/download/7418880-b61

SportCasual said:
    I seem to remember this mix was a toda madre

yappari ne!

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    I seem to remember this mix was fiiiiiiiiirme.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Oh what???s that? We???re doing a grandpa shig mixes appreciation?
    Well, how timely! I was just listening to his beautiful and sweet Summer Vacation mix this morning as today was the first time I???ve seen the sun in what feels like weeks.

Hi You!!!

hey lovely!

Which reminds me....

I PMed Shige-San about a year ago asking him for a proper tracklisting. As it turns out, manny whiskey flavors have resulted in the death of a proper tracklisting, but if Abuelito doesn't mind, I'll share his reply here.

This is better than a real "one through whatever" listing, anyway, as my man puts his inimitable toque on it.

the lampara sin luz i found in clovis. along with most of those records. i just saw the oakland address (somewhere's on e12th) and had to pick it up. the flip side is of the same style. i really dig this record. i'll get you the band names tomorrow. i dont remember most of them.

the next track is off jonny chingas "pachuco" album. i think a lot of strutter-types jock this record. its funky.

un sueno de amor is by i think recemiento74 [?]. out of houston. the whole record has those flanged out drums and psychee sounding stuff. most of its rancheros and cumbias, but there's an instro that's hot and this ballad i put on here.

angelito is a 45 on huero records [?] i think something like that. both sides are similar sounding with the whole spanglish thing. this record is out of san antonio, not houston.

mi amiga is by rigo tovar. apparently he's famous as i was playing this for my sis's boyfriend and he was like "spanish spanish spanish" and im like "huh?" and then he says rigo tovar like all gringo like and im like "OOOOOOOOHHH!" its out of mcallen, tx. what's up with this place?

si supiera is by this really hot mexican chick. irene rivas. the cover of the record she's smokin hot so i picked it up. this is the only good song on here.

sabor a mi. los lobos de la este de los angeles. the very first los lobos record. found out here in LA at the good will.

lo mucho by rene & rene. i think this is out of houston? ive heard it on the radio out here so i think this is a fairly popular song too.

inutil es. by big lu y los muchachos. this record has a cantaloupe island cover. its out of temple,tx.

the next song who's name i still forget, and the "no me conoces" song are by the group los rondels. fucking GREAT RECORD!!! there's also a cover of "la-la-la means i love you" by the delfonics. the ray charles cover is the best though. this is out of mcallen,tx too. plaese to tell me what is in the water in mcallen?

soleado is some dude, i forget his name. but this is like vol. 27 so dude just rocks the church organ. mostly churchy styles, but there's even a bboy-ish track on this record. the soleado song i like. i dont know, it reminds me of watching them church shows that used to come on early sunday morning.

and of course thee midniters. dude, theyre playing down here for $1. i HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT. seriously, they play at a swapmeet with like 99% old vatos and shit. its quite the socal experience.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Different mix obviously. this one had some marimba rick astley or something.

Feel free to make this a Shig mix repository.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    i had my wig pulled back listening to this mix while eating pupusas

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    I stil need those Johnny Chingas records. All I have is a "Se Me Paro" 12". Who's got doubles they wanna sell??

• wholewheatwholewheat 437 Posts
    thank you shig and hogginthefogg. this thread took a nice turn. another shig mix i still jam regularly is, i think, just titled 'oldies mix' or some such... billy stewart, the vows, charles perry... all types of nice shit.

bassie (or anyone) - can you post the summer vacation mix? i don't think i have that one.