Spindle Hole Too Small?

InnerSpaceInnerSpace 443 Posts
edited May 2011 in Strut Central
I have a great LP that I bought on the bay and it has a spindle hole that is too small for all my turntables to play on. Any suggestions on getting that hole bigger? Feel free to leave suggestions or innuendoes below...

Comments

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    poke it out yo

• InnerSpaceInnerSpace 443 Posts
    Soulhawk said:
    poke it out yo

Tried that and felt like I was gonna crack the vinyl in half. Pretty thick old vinyl, damn French pressings.

Any suggestions on maybe putting a Dremel to it? How would I center it though?

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    InnerSpace said:
    Soulhawk said:
    poke it out yo

Tried that and felt like I was gonna crack the vinyl in half. Pretty thick old vinyl, damn French pressings.

Any suggestions on maybe putting a Dremel to it? How would I center it though?

It's really easy.

Get one of those reversible screwdrivers where you can turn the shaft around to use either philips or flathead.

They virtually all have an octagonal shaft that is slightly smaller than a standard spindle hole. Insert the octagonal part of the shaft in the hole and turn gently against the sides.

Don't use anything sharp or any power tools.

I've done this dozens of times with no bad results.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    Give it time. Buy it dinner, tell it nice things. Turn out the lights and try again.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    elise said:
    Give it time. Buy it dinner, tell it nice things. Turn out the lights and try again.

lmho...oh lord - I just typed out three sentences of terrible cheesey double entendres and thought better of it.
    Thank You for giving me my first laugh since they announced the election results.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    K-Y Jelly

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I use my pocket knife and give it a few gentle spins inside the hole. No probs.

• Options
    The_Non said:
    I use my pocket knife and give it a few gentle spins inside the hole. No probs.

I have an old Swiss Army knife with an awl attachment that I've been using for this purpose for 30 years. It works great.

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts
    I've always just used the tip of a pen or pencil and it works fine, just have patience with any of these methods and do it slowly so you don't end up making it too big.

Sigh, this whole explanation sounds like double entendre.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    Get a round file and give it a few runs around the hole.. works every time.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    I do the same as all of these dudes, except I use a screwdriver.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Mr_Lee_PHD said:

In mens language...a rat tail file.

Or a rasp.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I have one of these by the stereo - the cap is perfect for gradual resizing.

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    4play

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    Mr_Lee_PHD said:

In mens language...a rat tail file.

Or a rasp.

• InnerSpaceInnerSpace 443 Posts
    I'm thinking that some kind of gradually lofted file is going to do the best on this one. The record is hella thick and not your ordinary vinyl, seems almost like a crossbreed between acetate and vinyl. Thanks everyone for the laughs and the advice, me and my Goraguer raer thank you!