Jean-Michel Basquiat: The Radiant Child

El PrezEl Prez NE Ohio 1,141 Posts
edited November 2010 in Strut Central

Comments

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    I saw it at SXSW back in March, and while it might not be a masterpiece from a filmmaking perspective, it definitely got to me (both intellectually and emotionally). I got a hell of a lot more out of it than I did Schanbel's biopic from the 90s.

Tamra Davis was a friend, and the film benefits from her intimate knowledge of how disarmingly sincere and kind Baquiat could be with people, especially newfound friends -- and how ruthlessly some of them exploited him during his meteoric rise to fame and wealth.

His artwork is also presented beautifully, and while I think I'd come to feel a little jaded about it (as I tend to with any artist who becomes an insitution or "brand name" of sorts), I was impressed all over with the quality, depth, scope, etc of his body of work.

I would recommend.

• wow thanx for the headsup on this, looks like a sick soundtrack as well...i'd really like to see this, should be dope!

• she stretched out a fairly interesting 10 minute interview into a feature length flick by interviewing lots of rich old white dudes doing their best "i told you so's" to basically fill it out. fab 5 freddy was dope tho.

grandpa_shig said:
    she stretched out a fairly interesting 10 minute interview into a feature length flick by interviewing lots of rich old white dudes doing their best "i told you so's" to basically fill it out. fab 5 freddy was dope tho.

nah, there's plenty of archival footage beyond that core interview (which she conducted in the mid-80s and has never been publically seen until this film).

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I'd like a doc about his work and less about him. But Ill take this for now.

batmon said:

I'd say this one's close to 50-50. I found the discussion of his work (and visual presentation of it) very interesting.

there's a Warhol retrospective in bmore right now covering the last years, and I was excited to get the chance to see a few of the Warhol/Basquiat collabos "in the flesh" fairly soon after taking in their discussion in this film.

onetet said:
    batmon said:

I'd say this one's close to 50-50. I found the discussion of his work (and visual presentation of it) very interesting.

there's a Warhol retrospective in bmore right now covering the last years, and I was excited to get the chance to see a few of the Warhol/Basquiat collabos "in the flesh" fairly soon after taking in their discussion in this film.

Good to hear.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    haven't seen this movie yet, but will keep my eye out for it.

not to be too morbid, but i was at Greenwood cemetery a few weeks back (Halloween related) and tour guide was talking about how the Basquiat headstone was one of 2 most inquired about plots in the 40+ acre cemetery with lots of legends buried on the land (Leonard Bernstein being the other). Dude was a legend for sure.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    i know he djed at a few clubs towards the end of his life. i always wondered what those sets were like.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Just saw this a couple of weeks ago.

I have to say that as an artist he had incredible depth. The range of subjects and the breadth his symbology is kind of frightening, especially when you consider that he had no formal training and hit the scene at only 20 years of age. I honestly think that he is up there with the greats like Picasso or Van Gogh in that he had that channeling aspect to his work, where ideas just seemed to pour out in great floods of productivity. His ability to shift between media and hold that artistic center is another capability that he shares with Picasso. Even though he was not nearly the technician that say Picasso was, he had that epicness and instant connection that is so uncommon. Only the truly major artists have it.

I think the movie does a good job capturing him in is fullness as an artist and a person. Highly recommend.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I'm sad that I'll never own a Basquiat.

• og Beat Bop doesn't count but.. close enough?

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    It is in the queue and slowly working it's way up.

• minneapminneap 541 Posts
    I got a few minutes into this on Netflix before realizing I was too drunk to appreciate it. Looking forward to trying again.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    herbacios tweed said:
    og Beat Bop doesn't count but.. close enough?

No, a real one. But that is a slight consolation.

I made a declaration to myself a little while ago that "Before I die I will own an original Basquiat." Then after consulting with a friend of mine that's relatively heavy in the art world, I knew it was going to be 7 figures at the very least (probably 8 for what I would want) to obtain.

The kicker was when i told my declaration to my wife's cousin, who owns a bunch of joints including some OG Harings, he just laughed.

The Warhol collabos are wack.

I really like his LA/latter period even if he gained his fame with the earlier shit.

He reminds me of Jimi in terms of shyness during the interviews.

• I enjoyed it a ton.

If anyone is looking for a good art doc check out "Art of Steal."