What do you do to protect the condition of your records?

soundsrealsoundsreal 128 Posts
edited April 2011 in Strut Central
How many of y'all keep every single record you have in plastic slips, and keep your record in the inner sleeve and then place it inside the plastic slip with the cover but not inside the cover, like how you get it mailed from someone who knows what they're doing? The reason I ask is because lately I've been seeing some pictures of large collections owned by peeps who clearly have invested a lot of time and money into building their collection and yet not a plastic cover in sight. Am I the only one with this habit and if so am I wasting my time?

Comments

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    No point in wasting a sleeve on a $5 record or a repop.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Don't play them.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Shroud them in positive thoughts.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Under no circumstances allow them to play with this record:

• Reynaldo, I gotta ask if you're serious or tongue in cheek.

• bigchalzbigchalz 220 Posts
    if you live in a humid area:
    temp controlled strg. or pay attention to the humidity where your records are stored.
    if you live on a coast, salty air is not good for records.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts

NSFW

• if you live on a coast, salty air is not good for records.

Been worried about this for a while now - as most of my records are stored in my garage, which sits about, oh, 150 yards from the Pacific Ocean here in San Francisco. May be time to move them into the house.

That Shotgun pic is the coolest thing I've seen in a while btw.

• buy doubles

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    neil_something said:
    buy doubles

So true.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    The_Non said:

Only an idiot would put telescopic sights on a shotgun.

Frank said:
    The_Non said:

Only an idiot would put telesopic sights on a shotgun.

I agree, but two things:
    1) Only an idiot would shoot a shotgun with their titties exposed to being hit w/kickback
    2) It looks like it might be a drawing.

Didn't like her scope...smh.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    The_Non said:
    Frank said:
    The_Non said:

I agree, but two things:
    1) Only an idiot would shoot a shotgun with their titties exposed to being hit w/kickback
    2) It looks like it might be a drawing.

Shirts are not a neccessary requirement.

with

or without titties:

but a scope would not only make no sense at all but with her holding the gun like that would result in

or worse.

And why hasn't anybody mentioned her elbows yet?

• JamalJamal 410 Posts
    Frank said:
    The_Non said:

And why hasn't anybody mentioned her elbows yet?

cause we are looking at her tits.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I put a condom in every trade package

spent, naturally.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    bigchalz said:
    temp controlled strg. or pay attention to the humidity where your records are stored..

What's really real with collection care and serious humidity? Want to make sure my stuff is protected preparing to spend my first summer in Houston. Constant AC? Buy a dehumidifier for my place?

Any tips would help.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Drew - Houston eh? I'll be down there for a wedding Labor Day wknd, we should try to get all the H-Town Strutteurs out for sangthin or another.

Constant AC sounds like a lot of money, but I would definitely try to keep it as dry as possible... look into the wattage of AC vs. Dehumidifiers.

poly sleeves help from the covers bowing out. I would imagine the ideal situation is a central air/heat type of place where you can set a temp and have the AC cycle on and off....

With heat and humidity, I'd also recommend making stacking and crating as uniform and straight up and down as possible.
    I bag stuff I think deserves a bag, but I don't fuss that much over it. I just try my best to handle LPs with care and they should be ok. Moving makes things trickier, but that should kick up the poly'ing and shit.

Drew, Houston requires constant AC in the summer already...just for you and your place in general. The humdidty is outrageous outdoors, but your records will be fine inside your crystal castle.

b/w

Gayduhs don't sweat.

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    I've been gradually putting my 45 collection into fresh paper and plastic sleeves. It's such a satisfying process.

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    drewnice said:
    bigchalz said:
    temp controlled strg. or pay attention to the humidity where your records are stored..

What's really real with collection care and serious humidity? Want to make sure my stuff is protected preparing to spend my first summer in Houston. Constant AC? Buy a dehumidifier for my place?

Any tips would help.

I live here in Houston and always have. Your collection will be fine, just don't do anything stupid like leave them out in the sun, get water on them and never feed them after midnight.

If you want them to be pristine till the end of time, just keep them in A/C in your house. But they're not going to melt if you store them in your garage or something.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    In my experience, as long as the records are in an indoor environment that is habitable to humans, the only real heat concern is if they are in or near direct sunlight. I had a friend years ago who had some of his favorites get real wavy after storing them in a shelf next to a window for a while (I don't know if he even kept the blinds open, it may have just been the bit of light that streamed out the side).

• barjesusbarjesus 872 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    Drew - Houston eh? I'll be down there for a wedding Labor Day wknd, we should try to get all the H-Town Strutteurs out for sangthin or another.

I'm with it.

Drew, welcome to Houston. Like everyone else said, your records will be fine.

Snagglepus said:
    I've been gradually putting my 45 collection into fresh paper and plastic sleeves. It's such a satisfying process.

Please to save the company sleeves and keep them with the records.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    Snagglepus said:

Please to save the company sleeves and keep them with the records.

I need them to light my cigar with, sorry.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    Snagglepus said:

I can't stand plastic sleeves on 45s. I use these instead (essential for DJing):

7" Die-Cut Jacket -Your record collection deserves the very best in protection and our record jackets are made from 8 pt. coated paperboard. The protective finish is designed to repel household pollutants, grime, fingerprints and mildew. Exterior dimensions 71/8??? x 7???, will hold record and inner sleeve. Item No. 3JAC7IN

http://www.sleevetown.com/7-in-sleeves.shtml - 2nd one down

Nice.
    Plastic 45 sleeves are to protect the picture sleeves (and company sleeves) not the 45s.