The Making of Mobb Deep's "The Infamous"

2»

Comments

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    Mjukis said:
    jaymack said:
    So I would go in the record store like, ???Give me everything from the ???70s.??????
    Best record store line I've heard since DJ Lethals "Box up the soul section, box up the rock section".

^^^ I need verification of this quotation. That is awesome. Source?

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    There's a similar Mr. Walt story from the 90s regarding some record spot in, I think, New Orleans. Like, "How much for everything?"

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    My own doubts about these stories is that if you listen to the quality of production that came out after these supposed "gimme everything!" store raids, either they hit up the wrong record stores or they managed to do relatively little with their insta-libraries.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    I bought out a flea-market stall in Georgia one time. True story. Highlights were a Power Of Soul with the wrong record in it and some Steve Coleman jernt with him on the cover in Boogaloo Shrimp attire. Dudes don't even know.

• Our very own Jinxy has a few stories about "buyin' out the spot," a few of which have resulted in his asking me--more than once--if I'd like to buy "10,000 eighties records."

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:
    Mjukis said:
    jaymack said:
    So I would go in the record store like, ???Give me everything from the ???70s.??????
    Best record store line I've heard since DJ Lethals "Box up the soul section, box up the rock section".

Alchemist said it, actually--I think in his Wax Poetics interview. He was talking about being on tour with Cypress Hill and House of Pain and how Lethal was schooling him on records. As Alchemist portrayed it, the tour bus would roll into town, he and Lethal would go hit the record spots, and Lethal would utter the infamous quote. It was only later on the tour bus that they would actually crack open the boxes and go through the records.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    Phill With 2 Ls said:
    tripledouble said:

mike still occasionaly sets up at shows

I did an interview with Sean for I think Grandslam that would've been the best I ever did, hands down... at the last minute he said we couldn't print it due to death threats he was getting (and I believe him, too). I wonder if I still even have the tapes from that interview... I don't even remember much of what was said but I know it was a lot of :face_melt: Hip Hop related schitt

damn. i want to read that!! never met sean, but mike is not shy to express himself. he once explained to me a bunch of reasons why he hated Beck...he definitely mentioned English imperialism and oppression of the Irish.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Phill With 2 Ls said:
    tripledouble said:

mike still occasionaly sets up at shows

I did an interview with Sean for I think Grandslam that would've been the best I ever did, hands down... at the last minute he said we couldn't print it due to death threats he was getting (and I believe him, too). I wonder if I still even have the tapes from that interview... I don't even remember much of what was said but I know it was a lot of :face_melt: Hip Hop related schitt

We need to get updates on this when possible

Touring producer is a record collector dream especially when intl destinations are involved

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    DJ_Enki said:
    rootlesscosmo said:
    Mjukis said:
    jaymack said:

Alchemist said it, actually--I think in his Wax Poetics interview. He was talking about being on tour with Cypress Hill and House of Pain and how Lethal was schooling him on records. As Alchemist portrayed it, the tour bus would roll into town, he and Lethal would go hit the record spots, and Lethal would utter the infamous quote. It was only later on the tour bus that they would actually crack open the boxes and go through the records.

Yeah, that's where I read it. Real funny, Alchemist talking about that they'd "Open boxes of records like baseball cards". Like, "Hey, I got one of these!" That's how real men buy records, forget all that cherry-picking schitt.