What are you going for collection wise?

JamalJamal 410 Posts
edited April 2011 in Strut Central
do you have a certain goal? im curious about that.. me myself im kinda goal-less record collection wise.. have some ideas, but not yet..
im sooo amateur.

do tell..

Comments

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Jamal said:
    do you have a certain goal? im curious about that.. me myself im kinda goal-less record collection wise.. have some ideas, but not yet..
    im sooo amateur.

do tell..

Hey Jamal,

For me, it's really about passion for music (borderline compulsive). I just continue to collect music that I enjoy, and over the years, the volume has become quite expansive. So no, I don't have any explicit goals, but I prefer a mixture of different genres since I listen to music based upon mood. I like having the option of many styles to choose from to suit my "ever changing moods."

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    That's really a hard call. I know I don't grip as much as I used to (except for any & all drum braeks). I guess over all I'm just going for the best & funkiest of all genres.

• JamalJamal 410 Posts
    Big_Stacks said:
    Jamal said:
    im sooo amateur.

do tell..

Hey Jamal,

For me, it's really about passion for music (borderline compulsive). I just continue to collect music that I enjoy, and over the years, the volume has become quite expansive.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Hey stacks

word, there's no better collection than all your favourite music collected.

• i'd have to say i'm after every awesome record ever...yeah, pretty much that

• indyindy 58 Posts

• Afro, Latin, Brazilian joints, and Jazz (even better if they have a sprinkling of any of the aforementioned 3 in the sound).

That's where I'm at right now.

But that's really my bag.

Just good Black music in general.

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
    indy said:

Hey when your house starts to look like that you need to be on hoarders. I know two dealers like this and their furniture has been replaced with piles/boxes of vinyl.

• barjesusbarjesus 872 Posts
    I want a collection in which no records have to be stored in boxes. Each record has it's place in the shelf and each record has meaning to my life. Preferable very few one or two trackers. In the 2000 range (I currently have about 3000).

I'm not there yet, but I'm always getting closer.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    All tribal trance and ambient dub 12"s.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    I won't give up until I own NM copies of the complete Mantovani discography in its entirety.

b/w

There are 4 labels (all pretty small) that I would genuinely love to own every release of (and am actively collecting at the moment). However, to complete their catalogs I need to do some serious leg-work in Latin America. Ebay / online buying alone will never ever complete this search.

In a more general sense, I would eventually like to create some discographies about selected Latin American labels (a gargantuan effort that has not been taken on at nearly the same scale as it has for African labels / artists). (See: http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~xx3n-di/07-disco/07051.html & http://funkfidelity.de/philips.htm & http://www.eastafricanmusic.com/polygram_discog.htm for a few quick examples.) Collecting records for that cause would be fun, and I can imagine discovering really cool shit while on the hunt with such a completionist gaze.

Having a goal is essential to staying focused, and you ALWAYS end up at a much different place than you expected to arrive at.

• CastenedaCasteneda 100 Posts
    I've been on a Latin soul kick recently. Trying to stock up anything Fania Records.

• Just going for a little something to accent the Picasso.

• besides what kakalak said about having a little something of everything, my only collecting "goal" is to complete the impulse discography. i'm not at the point where i'm buying impulse records i don't actually care to listen to, and i don't/haven't yet bought any records online but i will cop to carrying a checklist around in my wallet. one of my best friends is going after all the flying dutchman releases, and someday maybe i'll find another bob thiele head and we can really cover all the bases.

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    A big wall of records - close your eyes and pull one, and its dope.
    All killer, no filler. Special interest in the funk, soundtracks, psych/funk weirdness, hip hop, braeks, boogie, reggae, soul, jazz, rock, latin - and all essential funk classiques.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    LP wise I'm all over the place, but I would like to have it narrowed down to rock, jazz, brazillan, Latin and reggae as that is what I listen to on LP the most. 45s I almost exclusively go for 50s and 60s R&B and soul, trying to scoop Memphis raers whenever I can. I'll also grab the occaisonal funk side as well as the occaisonal rock or foreign side 45 wise. I need to do some purging as I have a bunch of LPs and 45s I never listen to nor DJ out...

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Less is most definitely more.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    shooterali said:
    indy said:

Hey when your house starts to look like that you need to be on hoarders. I know two dealers like this and their furniture has been replaced with piles/boxes of vinyl.

I don't know what the rest of his crib looks like, but I suspect that's what all our collections look like when we don't file them away.

And why is his receiver on top of his turntable? Must be pretty cumbersome whenever he wants to listen to vinyl and has to remove that other big thing just to do so...

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    Good music in general both common and raer.

• JamalJamal 410 Posts
    staxwax said:
    A big wall of records - close your eyes and pull one, and its dope.
    All killer, no filler.

Perfect.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    I really have no choice but to scoop tepid jazz fusion from Record Surplus.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Just today I was talking to a guy about all the folks we know who are trying to collect the top 100.
    They get a Joel Whitburn book, and start buying 45s and crossing them off.

At times in my life I have tried to be a completest about some label or artist.
    These days I buy what I hopes will sell and I will be happy to live with if it doesn't.

• I don't really have a goal to collect "this amount of records" or anything like that. Whenever I go looking for records, I just buy what sounds good that I know I will revisit time and time again. I've had friends who've splurged on records because they had this killer break or because they knew that someone sampled from it, but they would never listen to it ever again because the rest of the album was nothing worth mention. But I typically go for Christian and Female folk, soundtracks, easy listening/exotica, jazz, country and rock. And of course those surprises you find in the dollar bin.

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    I remember doing a couple of seminars in the early 90's with Professor Don Jacobs (NRR) and he offered me some thoughts on why he was wearing a white belt as a 10th degree black belt, one of the things he stated was that regardless of what rank he currently was, he approaches every day as though he has the same amount to learn as the first day he ever walked into a dojo, this philosophy is what I use to approach most things in life including records/music. I try to keep away from the collector mentality and even though I have been known to get obsessive over finding a record, I never let them get in the way of family/friends. That aside what I tend to buy when it comes to records varies a lot, some times I will go months only buying jazz, or hiphop or soul or afro, and other times it is really a mixed bag.

• johnshadejohnshade 577 Posts
    NORTHERN

• johnshadejohnshade 577 Posts
    NORTHERN

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    Trying to have shelves deep with 60s into late 70s soul, jazz, Brazilian, psych, and Krautrock, peppered with favorites from other genres like reggae, Bollywood, folk, hip-hop, "world," as well as a healthy chunk of records that I actually like that were made by friends.

Very few 45s and very few one-trackers; going for a collection built on a foundation of lps that please me from start to finish.