Futurama: What is SS's opinion.

CherChezLaPLANCherChezLaPLAN 340 Posts
edited April 2011 in Strut Central
Personally I LOVE it.

Comments

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Seems always to play second fiddle to the Simpson's, but I like it

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    I never bothered with it much. It's okay though.

• jammyjammy remixing bongo rock... 813 Posts
    "you can't compare a cockroach and a spider"

• Options
    Adequate at best.

• jammyjammy remixing bongo rock... 813 Posts

"i had snu snu!"

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    I'd rather watch a episode of Futurama than a new episode of The Simpsons.

The Simpsons has been going steadily downhill pretty much since Futurama started, by the time they finished the movie it had fallen off completely. At least Futurama has some vitality about it.

• barjesusbarjesus 872 Posts
    CherChezLaPLAN said:
    Personally I LOVE it.

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    i watched futurama from the beginning... i'm also known to watch cartoons shows even if they aren't that funny. futurama is worth watching, but yeah, doesn't give me the larfs that the first 5-6 seasons of the simpsons did.

BOB'S BURGERS however, is a non-stop chuckle fest!

• edulusedulus 421 Posts
    love it.

"the winner is three, in a quantum finish"
    "you changed the outcome by measuring it"

/nerd

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    I love seasons 1-4. I haven't really messed with the newer seasons. It's definately not for for everyone. I always think some of the writing, which is great imo, and the references are over the heads of a lot of people. Those people tend to go for a nice, non-thought provoking show like (the predicable) Family Guy.

• ennuiennui 111 Posts
    The original run is solidly funny. i like that it's a cartoon sitcom that's not centered around a family, it's more like friends/co-workers hanging out and making fun of each other.

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    watching the DVD right now. seasons 1-4 are really good. Good characters, running jokes and a few well thought out episodes. Cant complain. Good hangover comedy.

• mickalphabetmickalphabet deep inna majestic segue 374 Posts
    joax

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Breez said:
    I love seasons 1-4. I haven't really messed with the newer seasons. It's definately not for for everyone.

That original run was amazing, though. It's exactly the sort of humor I like: Making dumb jokes in a nerdy way.

• classic..

• I love the original run of seasons 1-4 and I've enjoyed the new episodes that have come out recently. I think I might be the only one, but I felt as though leaving the show cancelled would've been the best thing to happen to the series. For instance, when Arrested Development got cancelled there were a lot of people clamoring for FOX to bring it back on the air. Then there were rumors of a movie being made. Being able to revisit those old episodes have made me appreciate the series even more then when I first watched them years ago.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    I like Futurama, but the episode quality is greatly varied. Some are snoozers, but the episodes that have a great idea behind them are solid. Futurama gets better the more sci fi-nerdy it gets IMO. It's also cool that they can actually take on a more "serious" approach, and have it work - something that the Simpsons lost a long, long time ago. Simpsons fell off in the late nineties. Noone can deny the classic status of the early seasons, but they sure ran out of ideas. A few of the new Futurama episodes were funny, but again, a lot were kind of redundant. But I'm happy they brought it back, a few more good episodes is always nice.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    DuttyBabylon said:

classic..

Yeah, that's one of the better ones! Also love "Time keeps on slipping". Quotes for days in that one. "He's really showing us what a man with a cannon in his chest can do"!

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    Futurama > Simpsons
    I love the show so much. Crazy classics.
    The episode with Fry's dog, Fry's brother, baby bender/hermes connection, Fry's worms, and so many others.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    Mjukis said:
    I like Futurama, but the episode quality is greatly varied. Some are snoozers, but the episodes that have a great idea behind them are solid. Futurama gets better the more sci fi-nerdy it gets IMO. It's also cool that they can actually take on a more "serious" approach, and have it work

A significant percentage of the Futurama writers have advanced degrees in math or science. This is part of the reason why the show has such nerd appeal.

The original run is one of the better comedy shows, and one of the best sci-fi shows ever on television. Going through the episode list, my favorite episodes are:

Fry & the Slurm Factory
    The Problem with Popplers
    War Is The H-Word
    Parasites Lost
    Amazon Women in the Mood
    Roswell that Ends Well
    The Why Of Fry

The new season 5 (and the straight to DVD movies) are at their best about as good as the middle of the pack original run episodes, but none are significantly worse than the worst original run episodes. Futurama could have ended after the original run, pretty much as perfect as it possibly could have been, but the new episodes are good enough that they don't detract from the original in the way that the Star Wars prequels or Matrix sequels taint their progenitors.

And the Time Keeps on Slipping episode is definitely hugely quotable:

"None too soon. While you were gone, the 'Trotters held a news conference to announce that I was a jive sucker."

dollar_bin said:

"None too soon. While you were gone, the 'Trotters held a news conference to announce that I was a jive sucker."
    "You all are fools of the highest caliber."

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    dollar_bin said:
    Mjukis said:
    I like Futurama, but the episode quality is greatly varied. Some are snoozers, but the episodes that have a great idea behind them are solid. Futurama gets better the more sci fi-nerdy it gets IMO. It's also cool that they can actually take on a more "serious" approach, and have it work

A significant percentage of the Futurama writers have advanced degrees in math or science. This is part of the reason why the show has such nerd appeal.

The original run is one of the better comedy shows, and one of the best sci-fi shows ever on television. Going through the episode list, my favorite episodes are:

Fry & the Slurm Factory
    The Problem with Popplers
    War Is The H-Word
    Parasites Lost
    Amazon Women in the Mood
    Roswell that Ends Well
    The Why Of Fry

The new season 5 (and the straight to DVD movies) are at their best about as good as the middle of the pack original run episodes, but none are significantly worse than the worst original run episodes. Futurama could have ended after the original run, pretty much as perfect as it possibly could have been, but the new episodes are good enough that they don't detract from the original in the way that the Star Wars prequels or Matrix sequels taint their progenitors.

"War Is the H-Word" and "Amazon Women in the Mood" are ridiculously quotable as well. And Bea Arthur kills it as the Femputer.

"The key to victory is the element of surprise. Surprise!"

"These balls are making me testy!"

"The spirit is willing, but the flesh is spongy and bruised."

"She's built like a steakhouse, but she handles like a bistro."

• hendravishendravis 689 Posts
    If I said you had a beautiful body, would you take your pants off and dance around a little?

I have no strong feelings one way or the other.

Sir, we're on beige alert

If I don't survive, tell my wife, "Hello."

All I know is my gut says maybe.

Fry: Look at Walter Koenig. After Star Trek, he became an actor.
    Walter Koenig: Not just an actor, but a well-rounded person. With my own friends and credit cards and keys.

We no can dunk, but good fundamentals.

Did you explain how the women's good fundamentals make up for their inability to dunk?

Zapp Brannigans Guide To Making Love At A Woman.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    dollar_bin said:
    Mjukis said:

That makes sense. I'd watch these and be like, how are comedy writers so in tune to astrophysics and biology, are they reading science journals while they're writing these stories? There's my answer! I love this show because it's funny and combines thought provoking science discussions.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    The_Non said:
    I love this show because it's funny and combines thought provoking science discussions.

With what?

DB_Cooper said:
    The_Non said:
    I love this show because it combines funny with thought provoking science discussions.

With what?

Sheeit. Good zing. Grammar nazi. Fuck that, grammar Fuhrer!

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    The_Non said:
    DB_Cooper said:
    The_Non said:
    I love this show because it combines funny with thought provoking science discussions.

With what?

Sheeit. Good zing. Grammar nazi. Fuck that, grammar Fuhrer!

I'm like one of those Futurama writers, except my advanced degree is in business.

The business of giving you the business.

And business is good.

You missed your calling as a comedy writer!

• "This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali faced an eighty-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think the entire Earth was destroyed. "

Zapp Branigan could have his own thread of quotes.

..Well this promises to be one disturbingly erotic date.

I find the most sensual part of a woman to be the boobies.