cleaning vinyl

2»

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    oldrecorddude said:
    http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/gem/dandy.html

http://www.gmanalog.com/gem.aspx

The Gem Dandy record cleaner by George Merrill uses hydraulic pressure to clean and works very well with lps and 45s.There is no adapter for 45 records but it works well with them if you line them up and then clamp them.

You can basically make it yourself for much cheaper.All you need is hose with connections to your sink faucet and an end for pressure spray plus clamps.The frame is just plastic pipes ,connectors and end caps,two 3" end caps with rubber washers and some bolts with nuts to rotate the disc and hold the frame together.You can buy a filter to increase the water purity if your local water is bad and microfiber cloths to wipe.It works wonders with most records and can clean up ones that have mold,storage film or embeded dirt.The fluid works nice and is slow evaporating and is washed off by the water spray.There is some Groove Lube to also use after cleaning.

For those using ultrasonics you can easily copy the frame and clamps to use with them.Some people use a steam cleaner instead of a hose with high pressure water.You can also use different methods to dry.

Sorry but that article triggers a shit load of "overboard audiophilia" alerts. Not to say it's a bad system (though sounds messy as hell) but the sheer over-the-top-ness of the language makes one question how dependable the opinion is.

Frank said:
    LaserWolf said:
    Vacuum cleaner and old turntable?

No. It employs a technique that is much more effective than working with Vacuum. I built it because there's nothing like it on the market and not to save money... ended up spending well over a grand on it. Comments of the very few who saw it in action included "holy f***ing shit!", "I simply can't believe it, it defies all logic", "this is like performing magic", "...this is the craziest record related thing I've seen in all my life" etc.

Patent that MFer already?

b/w

post pics or you're soft

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,460 Posts
    LaserWolf said:

Cityboy - Some of these things, like spray cleaners, are for records that refuse to come clean with normal methods. My opinion is, if you are using strong cleaning fluids you need to vacuum that stuff off right away. Do not dry with a brush or rag!

yes mate! i completely agree it just seems weird that most of the people are "come off" as hardcore diggeurs, which was my point with the whole WD-40 theory, why somone would suggest that is beyond me as it has been one of those things not recommended to use (unless you have a VPI or sumthin similar) i havent heard of the lighter fluid dealyo i might try it on some ass records, but whatever i use will be followed by cotton cloths and not paper towel..i guess at the end of the day if it works, it works..end of story, VPI is still a hgely valuable piece of equipment in the whole equation, imho

@ Frank i cant lie i am really wanting to see this device that you cooked up, pass on the love...lol

I think the important thing to remember is that for the average collectro, your cleaning needs will likely be solved by any number of fairly basic techniques. To me, the VPI is an expensive - but convenient - way to just simplify the process but if you don't want to shell out $300+ and want to piece together other solutions - PVC glue, ultrasonic cleaning, etc. - I think the vast majority of folks would be well served.

For dealers and people who depend on selling records for a living, I think the stakes shift which is how you end up having Frank spend $1000+ to make his secret machine but in his case, that shit makes sense: his livelihood lives/dies with the quality of his records. Same goes for record stores; I noticed that Good uses a VPI 17, which is a shitload more expensive than the more standard 16.5 but for their volume, that makes sense. I wouldn't ever recommend it to the average dude though.

For me, what I prize is convenience. I'm sure the VPI isn't as good as one could possibly get but all said, it's pretty great for 99% of the situations I'd need it for (this said, it really does need an improved way to clean 7"s. If I didn't have those Turntablelab 45 platters, I don't know how I could clean my 45s without getting fluid all over the cork mat). And for others, something like a Nitty Gritty or DIY approach would probably serve them well in addition.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    Also keep in mind, how often do you really need to clean a record. Once you clean it right, if you take care of it you never have to again.

sabadabada said:
    Also keep in mind, how often do you really need to clean a record. Once you clean it right, if you take care of it you never have to again.

Word.

And I like what someone said earlier: "just buy NM".

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    mannybolone said:
    sabadabada said:

Word.

I think going in on a VPI with a (trustworthy) friend is a great look for the reasons Saba mentions and Manny echoes. Cheaper, plus it gets used more.

• Where can one buy that Stanton stylus brush? I can only seem to find the "wrong" one online.

Thanks,

Dress

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    has anyone had to deal with LAmerican records with the infamous shoe polish applied to it!
    What can be done?

• channonchannon 65 Posts
    Two points that haven't been mentioned, that I'll add for future readers:
    1) Stylus cleaning can be done very effectively with a magic eraser (the white part, not the blue part), by dipping the stylus down into the magic eraser while holding it motionless.

2)When all else fails, but you don't want to go the tuff-stuff route, try Elmer wood glue slathered all over the record, let it dry, and then, in theory, peeling off the dried glue also has contaminants attached thereto.

• novasolnovasol 204 Posts
    Enzyme cleaners have performed admirably for me. Non-toxicity truly appreciated. I use NaturallyClean floor cleaner diluted in distilled water. Can make a ton of solution for the money. Still experimenting with ratios...roughly at 6 caps/gallon. There are other brands I've yet to investigate.

***wipe and rinse is essential! Enzyme can leave a fine film.
    Microfiber cloths purchased from Target auto department. Large orange and smaller white/grays 8-12 pack for around 4-7 dollars. My stock is roughly 12 large orange and 24 or so smaller white/grays. Machine wash with nothing else.

General cleaning. Apply solution. Let sit for 5+ minutes. Wipe off with microfiber cloth for this task. Spray distilled water rinse, wipe off with exclusive MF cloth for this task. Apply another rinse, then VPI.

Exceptionally dirty. I faucet rinse both sides. Immediately lightly wipe water off with exclusive MF. Then general cleaning tactics but letting enzymes sit for longer.

Nasty fingerprints I'll spot clean full strength, then general process.

I got a system down when I can do about 20-30 general cleans in an hour.

Is there anything that cleans-up what looks like "oxidation"?

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    In my experience ceaning records, nothing gets ground in dirt out better than the Elmers glue method. It's a pain in the ass, and takes a long time, but it really gets stuff out of there. Tuff stuff is great too, but it's imperative that you get it off immediately with a vpi or nitty gritty, as it leaves a nasty residue behind.

I've been looking into this:
    http://www.turntablelab.com/search/index.html?s=1&type=more&action=search&search_field=Okki Nokki

The okki nokki. Has anyone used one?

• StringsStrings 82 Posts
    Where do you get the best price for a VPI 16.5 in Europe? In my country they want $1000 for it. I feel that is a bit too expensive and since I'm going to travel in Europe this summer I guess I could pick up a VPI if the price is ok.