Comments

• Relax, it's an homage.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    and Japanese. Those little buggers are KRAZY!

• dukeofdelridge said:
    and Japanese. Those little buggers are KRAZY!

das racist!

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    Japanese girls dressed as "white" women with faux tans and bleached blonde hair in the street style known as ganguro below. Is this also racist?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Almond said:
    Japanese girls dressed as "white" women with faux tans and bleached blonde hair in the street style known as ganguro below. Is this also racist?

Uh, yeah. Pretty clearly. It's not KKK racist but on the spectrum? It's on there.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    It looks like dude went in and said, "Yo, I want the Lil John package".

Shimura Zoo??? turns former pro boxer Yoko Gushiken into a ???black rapper??? to see if his dog will still recognize him:

A black rapper?? With-out the music part, how do you turn someone into a "black rapper" and not just a black man. That just shows you how people think. I always thought Japan was fascinated a little too much with black people & black culture. Do they go over the top this bad because they aren't around many black people that aren't on a stage with a mic in their hand?? This fascination always creeped me out.

PLUS, that video is a bit much. I'm a white dude and I find it offensive. The stereotypes they toss around are :nagl:

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz......

• Its more of a stereotypical halloween costume mix. Not racist.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    It's an homage to Knots Landing. Stop worrying about it

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Breez said:

I always thought Japan was fascinated a little too much with black people & black culture.

Says white north american dude with dreadlocks

:demeyerolldem:

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    skel said:
    Breez said:

I always thought Japan was fascinated a little too much with black people & black culture.

If you truly think locks are a "black" thing you need to pick up a book sometime. I like that you pay attention to me though, it's flattering sweetie.

Breez said:
    skel said:
    Breez said:

If you truly think locks are a "black" thing you need to pick up a book sometime. I like that you pay attention to me though, it's flattering sweetie.

So a Caucasoid w/ Dreads inspired you to rock Dreads???

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    batmon said:
    Breez said:
    skel said:
    Breez said:

And here you come.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    batmon said:

Actually yes, Pinky. Who inspires [del]you[/del] a 40 yr old man to play with dolls, I'm sorry, I mean "Action Figures"?

• batmon said:
    Breez said:
    skel said:
    Breez said:

Really Batmon. Pick up a book!

I myself was doing a little research, and I think I actually found Breez on youtube! Here's his comment on a dread tutorial:

"Sonicthehedgehog73
    2 months ago 2

I have some questions for you dread pros out there.

First: I will admit I was inspired by captain jack sparrow, and I would like similar hair. He has about 10 dreads on each side, and the top of his head is regular loose hair over top of the dreads. I know he has a wig, but is it possible to have and maintain something similar?

Please??? any help would allow me to start sooner.
    "

See?

batmon said:

Actually yes, Pinky. Who inspires [del]you[/del] a 40 yr old man to play with dolls, I'm sorry, I mean "Action Figures"?

Ha - did i push a button for you to bring up my collectron habits.

Have we gotten to the point where Natty Dreadlocks origins are in Sweden?

Nazarene Oaths originate in Yugoslavia?

Or lets keep it real - you smoke alot of weed and then formulated some mythos to back your hairstyle.

Feel free to reference G.I.Joe w/ the Kung Fu Grip.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    batmon said:

Or lets keep it real - you smoke alot of weed and then formulated some mythos to back your hairstyle.

Haha, someone likes to hear them self talk. Calm down down old man, I won't joke your toys any more.

I am ready to believe your dreads are something other than an attempt to graft some measure of misguided cool / righteousness / whatever upon yourself by importing some facet of external culture that you know zip about.

Totally ready to believe that.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts

VS

;-)

batmon said:

Haha, someone likes to hear them self talk. Calm down down old man, I won't joke your toys any more.

I can do this all day.

Action figure jokes to change the subject or the book title your read about Hindu locks popularizing Dreads?

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    skel said:
    I am ready to believe your dreads are something other than an attempt to graft some measure of misguided cool / righteousness / whatever upon yourself by importing some facet of external culture that you know zip about.

Totally ready to believe that.

I'm to old to worry about being "cool". I've had my locks for almost 17 yrs now and believe me, I've gotten every question and comment you can think of. I don't even get offended anymore when people inquire. I just get upset when certain people come at me and they don't know what they're talking about, I'm not saying you, cause I don't know nothing about you. I don't know what you do or don't know. Plus, this is a damn message board, I won't even meet 95% of you guys in the real world to even worry about peoples opinions. It's all good either way.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    batmon said:

Ok, I gotta give it to you on this one. That is very funny!!

Dude, we are all hypocritical in some regard.

My colleague rails against immigration then cheers to the rafters when his sports team signs some Brazilian hotshot.
    My local politician espouses the cause of the inner city working classes from the luxury of her millionaire's row country mansion.
    I tell my kids that drugs are bad and then go for a night out at the pub.

If you can step outside of yourself for a moment or two you might recognise the absurdity of your stance in this thread.
    If you can't, that not my fault; it's yours.

• mannybolone said:
    Almond said:

Uh, yeah. Pretty clearly. It's not KKK racist but on the spectrum? It's on there.

Really? Racist? (The girls - not the stupid video.) Not sure it's that simple???

First, I thought Ganguro were not trying to look like white women exactly, but were indeed meaning to be in blackface mixed with malibu barbie elements - meant to connote 'foreign' in a mixed up way. (And has evolved into more general Gyaru / Gyaru-o youth fashion that's popular today - more crazy hair, slightly less tan, and more boys do it too now).

I've heard that the kids who followed the fashion were more from the country / lower class. And tended to face discrimination, low job prospects. So, they are rejecting adult expectations of conformity, and identifying with other outsiders / marginalized groups - be they African Americans, or foreigners in general - as interpreted through their lens. Also, isn't white skin traditionally super prized in Japan, so to spray tan yourself would be a kinda rebellious F-U. Maybe?

Definitely a little clumsy and cringe-worthy a bit, but I don't think racial parody / appropriation is the intent exactly.

I have no idea if my understanding is correct. And I only know this Gyaru stuff because I've noticed blogs run by western girls ALL over who are in love with the Gyaru boys (beiber crush-style). And they know all the models / gyaruo celebs.

I mean, if you were a 16 year old girl, how could you not be smitten?

Now not just the Japanese girls have to worry about creepy westerner chasing after them!

Wow - I've procrastinated my whole sunday away!

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I don't have an opinion, or knowledge beyond this thread, but I took O to mean it was racist because these women are engaging in a form of race hatred.
    In other words, I hate the way I look, I want to look like a blond American.

• Easy people

I'm the guy in the Batman tune. I was abit taken aback that it was posted in a thread called "That's Racist" so I just want to clear some things up real quick.

First off the song is not an attempt to parody or poke fun at Rastafari or anything like that, nor is it an attempt to appropriate black culture for any sinister gain, no more than utilizing an off-beat rhythm can be considered appropriation.

Secondly, as most people who know me can attest (to their detriment or otherwise) I have huge love for reggae and Jamaican music, particularly 70s rootsy stuff, Spear, Tubbys, Earl 16 etc. I don't have locks, and I don't rock the red gold and green tracksuit or trainers, but I have massive respect for this shit, I love that sound-system culture to the bone, and right now i'm writing a dissertation on the synergy between punk and reggae culture in the mid 70s in Britain.

Anyway, enuff ranting, there are racists in the world today, but they most likely aren't the ones with dreadlocks, whatever the colour. Here's a tune i've been rinsing recently.

Peace

(P.S. if you like the tune then please do me a favour and post it on your Facebooks/MySpaces etc. I'm a poor student about to graduate and busking doesn't pay enough! Bless!)

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    :hayek:

• wait so is 10cc a bunch of racists?

• bigchalzbigchalz 220 Posts

euroman and mericaman patois= :weird: