Record Store Day thoughts?

mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
edited April 2011 in Strut Central
So whats is gonna be the big RSD Exclusive "future raers" this year?
Any must haves for the Strutters out there?
or are we all too jaded/cool to participate in such a shameless marketing stunt?
any dealers/shop owners on here participating?

Comments

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    I'll probably swing by Good Records for a bit. Although I'll be trying not to get quite as drunk as last year.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    I went 'all out' this year, sort of. I was totally caught off-guard two years ago - showed up at the Brooklyn store about 20 minutes before opening and was shocked to see a long line waiting to get in. Last year was much better, but I still could have sold way more stuff with better preparation.

This year I was way more aggressive in ordering the goodies, and we'll be live on EVR from 4 - 6 EST from the East Village store, so you folks in far off locales can hear me ask "Debit or credit?" Oh yeah, I'll make a rare DJing turn also. No bands or anything - it's already crazy enough. Beers will appear at some point, but not at noon.

Lots of BS involved , but I intend to ignore it as best I can and ride the gravy train.

As far as Future Raers - I don't see too many of these becoming high ticket items, though some will for sure.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    I'm copping the Fela 7" if possible.

What else should I be copping?

• This sounds good to me:

Capitol/EMI is releasing a double 78rpm with "Good Vibrations" and "Heroes and Villains," both recorded during the doomed Smile sessions along with early alternate takes of both tunes.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    musica said:
    Going hard for the Fela 7".

What else should I be copping?

That's one of the best things for sure.

I'm also interested in:

The Numero Boddie comp
    The Television live '78 2Lp
    Arthur Russell - World Of Echo
    Pink Floyd - London 66/67

There's probably some others, it's pretty hard to figure this shit out.

Horseleech said:

The Numero Boddie comp

Oh snap, will definitely be getting that!

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    A friend of mine and his wife opened a new record shop in New London, CT over the summer ( The Telegraph ). It's a surprisingly nice shop considering how long its been around ... mostly vinyl with a strong new indie/etc section and some above average punk, New Wave, jazz, etc (mostly consignment). I volunteer one night a week. Fun place.

Anyway, he's hitting his first Record Store day as hard as he can to help get the word out about the shop. Being new (and having at least one of his major suppliers bought out before his order was fulfilled!), he maybe received 50-70% of the items he ordered but he ended up with a few crates full of treats. The Flaming Lips 5lp box is tempting. And I'm sure I'll grab copies of these:

Horseleech said:

The Numero Boddie comp
    Arthur Russell - World Of Echo

He's been running a small record label for years so it was pretty easy for him to line up a full day of bands. A friend and I will be DJing between sets. He also just set up a widescreen TV (plus AppleTV ... an excellent record store accessory) so we'll be showing the Deerhunter 3D video throughout the day ... which, by the way, is well worth seeking out.

Definitely looking forward to it.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,100 Posts
    I'm looking for these, both "remixed" or "remastered" by Pete Kember. Not sure what that means, but I like all parties involved:

13th Floor Elevators ??? Wait For My Love - Snapper Music - 7???
    The Red Krayola ??? Hurrican Fighter Plane / Pink Stainless Tail -Snapper Music - 7???

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Will be going to each of Breakaway, Backspin, and Friends of Sound Records tomorrow...then on to yet another crawfish boil. Should be a great day!

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I've got a small amount of RSD product, but missed out on some things I wanted because I didn't sign the inane "pledge" or whatever. *shrug* I am putting out 100s of New Arrivals, though, and will be serving a menu of snacks and drinks that has had me and my wife salivating just thinking about it all week. If you're in the hood come through and say what's up, I'll be playing records and doing the fool as per usual.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    ketan said:
    I'm looking for these, both "remixed" or "remastered" by Pete Kember. Not sure what that means, but I like all parties involved:

The Red Krayola ??? Hurrican Fighter Plane / Pink Stainless Tail -Snapper Music - 7???

my guess is that the drums will be eliminated and a soundscape of modular synths will be overlayed

The_Hook_Up said:
    ketan said:

my guess is that the drums will be eliminated and a soundscape of modular synths will be overlayed

ha! you're probably right.

i can't be mad at him, though. i've gone to see him perform twice in the last few years, and the person i have brought with me has literally fallen asleep both times! (two different cities, two different people)

and everytime, i walk away thinking it was a genius performance.

this is hilarious BTW:

• coolchriscoolchris 301 Posts
    If your in San Francisco swing by the Groove Merchant and share a frosty one with me. Saved up some pretty choice lp's to put out. I actually have a Groove Merchant RSD 12" that I did with the cool guys at Luv N' Haight that came out kinda nice, plus a few other semi exclusives. It's gonna be party for sure.

• coolchriscoolchris 301 Posts
    Also, anybody attending or if you own or work at a record shop, please by all means take some photos of the mayhem. Post em up tomorrow.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    musica said:
    Horseleech said:

The Numero Boddie comp

Oh snap, will definitely be getting that!

Just picked this up at True Vine, who has it well-stocked on wax and cassette and isn't swamped -- unlike Celebrated Sunmer, the punk/indie shop around the corner, which more aggressively stocks RSD releases, had a line down the street in the rain before opening, and has been packed for several hours.

I was also interested in the Lower Dens and Red Krayola 7"s, but neither shop had em.

30 minutes before opening and the line at Amoebas is around the block!

Wish me luck copping the Fela 7!

• ennuiennui 111 Posts
    I'm kinda torn on RSD because for those of us who practically live in record stores it's straight up amateur hour. That said, i made sure I got my Numero Group 2LP and I like how this hallmark holiday has become one of the store's busiest days of the year out of nowhere.

musica said:

Copped x 4!

If anyone needs a copy, hollerate!

• M-theory records in San Diego. Good for the store. Bad for me. Bought the Boddie comp and was out as quick as possible.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Didn't grab any RSD raers, but a couple dudes almost got in a fight over the last copy of the Big Star RSD thingy...both holding itand refusing to let go...

Did score a gem though...mint ass mono Sam Cooke "Night Beat"! Only $10! Been on the look out forever, but it's one Sam title I never seemed to come across.

A few 45s as well...good day...but it is indeed amateur hour out there though.

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    I know it might not be the coolest item to want, but does anybody have an extra copy of the Rush Caravan/BU2B 7" they can hook me up with? None of the stores in Richmond got any copies.

If you're a record store owner and you have a copy of this, I'd be happy to buy it. I don't want to pay $30+ for any of the 20 copies already up on the 'bay.

musica said:
    musica said:

Copped x 4!

All Fela copies spoken for

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    musica said:
    musica said:

Copped x 4!

Man Berkeley must have been lax. SF didn't let you buy multiples. I would have been more bummed that they sold out of the fela if I didn't have an og.

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    bluesnag said:
    I know it might not be the coolest item to want, but does anybody have an extra copy of the Rush Caravan/BU2B 7" they can hook me up with? None of the stores in Richmond got any copies.

If you're a record store owner and you have a copy of this, I'd be happy to buy it. I don't want to pay $30+ for any of the 20 copies already up on the 'bay.

Well, if anyone out there sees the Rush 7", if you could pick me up a copy I'd really appreciate it.

I got a 13 Floor Elevators 7" but they didn't have the Red Krayola one. If anyone has an extra, I'd love to grab it off you.

• maldorurrmaldorurr 120 Posts
    Horseleech said:

The Television live '78 2Lp

Is that the much-booted Waldorf gig where they do "Satisfaction"? Really good goddamn show, if so. Richard Lloyd was always on point

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts