GLORIA ANN TAYLOR question

KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
edited April 2011 in Strut Central
Someone gave me a rip of her three-track LP recently and that shit has been melting my mind.

Question: are these three cuts not all on 45? Can I not get all the album versions of these songs much cheaper that way? Please tell me if I'm missing something?

Comments

• the mixes on the 12" are different. its more noticeable on 'whats your word' and 'loves a hurting thing', which i think on the 12" is mixed with 'how can you say it' the b side of the single version? i prefer the 'deep inside of you' single without the overdubbed drums though.

on a related note has anyone got a rip of 'blue glass bubbles' its the b side on some 'loves a hurting thing' singles, pretty much like everything from gloria taylor but never heard that one.

hope that helps man

• DJ_WubWubDJ_WubWub 874 Posts
    can someone please reissue the Ep for us cheap bastards

• haze25haze25 759 Posts
    Kinetic said:
    Someone gave me a rip of her three-track LP recently and that shit has been melting my mind.

Question: are these three cuts not all on 45? Can I not get all the album versions of these songs much cheaper that way? Please tell me if I'm missing something?

From what i gather her husband (Walter Whisenhunt) had some of her old 45's overdubbed with drums to make them sound more disco-y........ so no you can't get the exact versions on your rip by picking up the 45's. I like both versions of these recordings, but the EP has a really psychedelic vibe that isn't really present on the 45's, plus the edit on "Love Is A Hurting Thing" is great and f-ing epic to my ears.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Is this the same Gloria Taylor on Silver Fox?

• haze25haze25 759 Posts
    ^ Yes................ Walter Whisenhunt produced those sides as well.

peace,xavier

• if anyone has either a 'love is a hurting thing' or 'what i want' single they wanna flip, please holla at me.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Cool thanks for that fellas. I'm waiting on a 45 copy of 'what's your world' which is the cut that really grabs me on the ep, and yeah, I can definitely hear the overdubbed/psychadelic mood that was mentioned. I'm keen to hear the 45 versions though. How much does the 'love is a hurting thing' single go for?

• JusMeJusMe 68 Posts
    wow.. I heard MP3's of those E.P. mixes and assumed they were some sort of modern remix / edits. I remember thinking they were a little strange, alot of reverb if I remember right, over dubbed drums a little sloppy by today's standard..

Someone definitely needs to re issue this

• fckvwlsfckvwls 178 Posts
    This is such a weird coincidence reading this thread. Found four copies of whats your world/music and one copy of love is a hurting thing/ blue glass bubbles a month ago. I guess this might be the wrong forum but holla at me on pm if anyone is looking for these.

As the thread starter I believe I got dibbs on 'Love is a hurting thing.'

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    Kinetic said:

Record dudes are so funny.

Go for it, man!

• musica said:
    Kinetic said:

Go for it, man!

I'm pretty sure that the info listed in this thread came from one of my previous posts a few years ago so here's the full and correct version as far as i'm told from family and people in the scene here:

The Whisenhunts moved out to LA sometime in the mid-70's, Walter, you may not know, was a prolific funk producer in the midwest with such classics as:

The selctor sound release are all over the map matrix number wise and as far as i can tell from what i own the matrix's seem to be years rather than relative numbers.
    Whats Your World/Had It All The Time is SS-1976
    World That's Not Real/Music is SS-1978

78/79 when the Whisenhunt Orchestra record is recorded/released. Though speculative, it is a safe assumption because the colorway of the label changes from green and white to gold and maroon for the SS1978 release and this colorway is also seen on the album label. Also, there is an auxilary matrix number on 78 release which is -352, the record has matrix number SS-3080A/B in the deadwax, which is an internal pressing number for Rainbo Records lacquers.

At this time the Whisenhunt/SS office was:

View Larger Map

So it's not a stretch to imagine them shooting over to Santa Monica and pressing at Rainbo. The LP was not tracked over the 45's with just extra drums, I was misqouted (the songs on the 45's are much shorter than that of the LP versions) I had stated in a previous post years ago on here that the LP was the master reels retracked with extra drums and mix outtakes that didn't occur musically on the 45's. The tape machines also were having serious speed issues, as can be heard with them speeding up and slowing down during the recording. Sounds like sticky tape.

The record was distributed in part by Music City in South Central Los Angeles, where i found 3 selaed copies still sitting on the shelf in 2006, though they had been marked down to $2.99 lol. I passed it not once, but twice and bought it on the third trip because there wasn't much left to buy and i thought i would take a chance. I had assumed it was classical becasue of "Orchestra" in the title. The shop also is quite dangerous now, an outlet for crack cooking, selling paraphernalia and manitol. On a side note not a single person i played it for here in LA was feeling the record at that time - I even played it out to crickets. Not funky enough funk at the time i suppose. I later talked to an extended family member who gave me a rough timeline of the Whisenhunt history and the story on this, though they had no extra copies. Last year, or maybe two years ago, another batch started getting dumped around LA, I'm assuming someone with copies passed away and one ended up on Pico getting walked in to Shig. Shig put the album up on here (blowing my opportunity to sample it, dammit) and the rest is well, what is what.

hope that clarifies some of the context.

• didnt know you could find 'music' on the b side of some 'whats you worlds' mines has 'had it all the time' on it, its another good tune but not quite in the same vain as the songs that made it onto the e.p.

anyone got any info on her 'what i want'/'burning eyes' single? never heard either of those.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    4YearGraduate said:
    Last year, or maybe two years ago, another batch started getting dumped around LA, I'm assuming someone with copies passed away and one ended up on Pico getting walked in to Shig. Shig put the album up on here (blowing my opportunity to sample it, dammit) and the rest is well, what is what.

oops! but cmon man, youve been here. nothing was "walking in" here, especially since the owner didnt know anything about records. let me put it this way, i had to take the initiative to start digging for records because the owner of the record shop claimed he was too busy. and tho i think i got good record karma, ive never really concerned myself with prices or names, and i'll pull shit out of piles based on vibe. in any case, i found my copy at the wilmington goodwill on pch and avalon.

i did buy this LA jesus jammie off a crackhead on pico tho.

http://www.divshare.com/download/4378303-086

• Oh word, "walked in" wasn't a slight to you, I just thought it came through the door. I know how grandmaster Shig gets down. File my comment under "still care's way too much still about breaking a new sample in a rap song (while no one else does)". Saul goodwin!

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    Lack of Afro sampled that shit before Shig posted it. ;)

MARTINA NAVRATILOVA GOT BEATZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

musica said:
    Kinetic said:

Go for it, man!

Kidding dude!

b/w

serious knowledge dropped in this thread!

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    hcrink said:
    Who is this dude ?

I remember a thread with all kindsa takes on this pic.. an animated gif of him rolling down a hill, a few of him with a wide array of CGI stains placed imaginatively about his clothing... SS became a hive of creativity when this pic dropped.

^
    thats the walter whisenhunt picture disc with the original peek-a-boo sleeve. only me and dj shadow have copies.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    4YearGraduate said:
    The shop also is quite dangerous now, an outlet for crack cooking, selling paraphernalia and manitol.

:snowman: :beerbang:

You should add it to the city guide.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    grandpa_shig said:
    dj shadow .

youre not cool enough to call him "josh"?

:-D

*how do you get smileys and stuff?

jaymack said:
    grandpa_shig said:
    dj shadow .

youre not cool enough to call him "josh"?

:-D

*how do you get smileys and stuff?

To the left of the reply window, there's a link called "Smileys".

• DB_Cooper said:
    4YearGraduate said:
    The shop also is quite dangerous now, an outlet for crack cooking, selling paraphernalia and manitol.

when i took spelunk in there on the tour a few weeks ago, this mexican dude came in rocking straight up cowboy clothes (including hat) and proceeded to order up about $600 worth of supplies while one of his homies stood holding his strap watching the store entrance at the front and another one watched the entrance from the outside. Big ass jug of manitol, giant pyrex beeker, a couple of 100 packs of vials and a serious digital scale. Shit was intense. No more Whisenhunts left though.

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    grandpa_shig said:
    ^
    thats the walter whisenhunt picture disc with the original peek-a-boo sleeve. only me and dj shadow have copies.

4YearGraduate said:
    DB_Cooper said:
    4YearGraduate said:

when i took spelunk in there on the tour a few weeks ago, this mexican dude came in rocking straight up cowboy clothes (including hat) and proceeded to order up about $600 worth of supplies while one of his homies stood holding his strap watching the store entrance at the front and another one watched the entrance from the outside. Big ass jug of manitol, giant pyrex beeker, a couple of 100 packs of vials and a serious digital scale. Shit was intense. No more Whisenhunts left though.

Hahahaha! Jesus Christ. The best part is that he's buying the starter equipment, so he clearly just decided "You know what sounds like fun? Processing hard drugs. I'ma head on down to the drug cooking equipment supply depot/record store and get my cook on! Right after I brand this cow."

• grandpa_shig said:
    ^

Full Circle Bump!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/380844623258?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    soulcitizen said:
    grandpa_shig said:
    ^

Full Circle Bump!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/380844623258?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

ha, he brought it down from 500 to 300... still i feel an abject sense of pity for whoever can't find a better way to spend 300 bucks...

tho, it does beg the question why there is no bootleg of this... i know about 50 people who want this record and 1 who owns it...

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    it may RAISE the question...