APRIL FINDS

Comments

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    not really 'finds' but PPU made a trip on over by foot to my porch and blessed me this warm afternoon.

that Kurtis Scott is amazing.

• jammyjammy remixing bongo rock... 813 Posts
    Breez said:
    A few things I found at an antique store yesterday.

breez, how is the drum instructional lp?

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    jammy said:

breez, how is the drum instructional lp?

It's not bad. No straight 4/4 drum breaks but the actual drums are great to sample & program. The kick drum on this record is INSANE. Who ever mic'd up this drum kick & who ever recorded it definitely made these drums sound great. The kick drum is so heavy.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    i was always disapointed with that Hair bear bunch record... i kept listening to it to find some good quotable lines, but those bears kinda suck and have stupid voices. but the cover is cool.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    tripledouble said:
    but those bears kinda suck and have stupid voices.

LMAO!!

• here are some things from march/april:

Haspuslah Airmatamu OST...Funky Malaysian soundtrack, bought it to upgrade:
    Park In-Hee - Vol.3...K-Pop/Folk record with this fuzzy track:
    Charlie & His White Cloud Orchestra...Some cool breaks on this plus a tight cover of Mony Mony:
    Churchill - The Fool In Me...Spare:
    Black Butterfly - Album Vol. 1...Finally got a copy of this, some cool funky tracks:
    Wong Shiau Chuen - Vol. 24...Sounds like this:

John Holt - 2000 Volts of Holt...Great Cover of the Isley's "For The Love Of You":
    Patty OST...Funky soundtrack off stang with some great rimshots instrumentals:
    Rest were $3 or less:

Paul Midas has a nice cover of Cherokee Nation:

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    February/March/April finds.
    Fleas, record fairs, store bins + credit and trades (thanks to all dudes involved).

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    Nice haul DeJean... you got some listenin to do. How is the Nino Ferrer: Metronomie LP, always been curious about that one.

• leonleon 883 Posts

Really happy to stumble upon Bobby Callender's Le musee de l'impressionisme LP (top-middle) in the field, long time want!
    Sutch a great album, i'm sure it has been discussed here on SS, can't find a thread tho. Anyone?

Vitamin X is modern boogie, reggae ish LP with some nice cuts.

Orgue Biguine is a West Indies album with one or two funky organ tracks.

Jerry Gonzalez LP is decent but pretty standard stuff IMO.

• Nice little Jamaican Jazz thing from the '50s here. Apparently the first ever recording of Jazz trumpeter Clifford Brown:

• Nice little Jamaican Jazz thing from the '50s here. Apparently the first ever recording of Jazz trumpeter Clifford Brown:

that's interesting...it is indeed one of two solos Brown recorded for the band...the other being a track "Ida Red"...i have both on 78, on Columbia. i have never seen the 45 record you found...

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    picoandsepulveda said:
    Nice little Jamaican Jazz thing from the '50s here. Apparently the first ever recording of Jazz trumpeter Clifford Brown:

:face_melt:

• CraigCraig 269 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    planless said:

Some really great tracks on that "Because I Am" LP.

Yeah, a great xian LP.

:feelin_it:

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

• musica said:
    picoandsepulveda said:
    Nice little Jamaican Jazz thing from the '50s here. Apparently the first ever recording of Jazz trumpeter Clifford Brown:

GREAT track. 45 is a reissue on Jazzman's "Jukebox Jams" subsidiary, OG is a 78. Can also be found on an obscure Clifford Brown comp...

• incredible bongo band and ray bryant are dupes on the trading block....

that frank strazzeri lp has a tonne of flavour.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Rad Chez said:
    musica said:
    picoandsepulveda said:

GREAT track. 45 is a reissue on Jazzman's "Jukebox Jams" subsidiary, OG is a 78. Can also be found on an obscure Clifford Brown comp...

this is an incredible mix of genres a real mashup for once

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts

• HollafameHollafame 844 Posts
    ^^ not a bad day!

• Good cheap bin finds in Denver:

New York Bass Violin Choir - (Strata East)
    Jay Hoggard - Mystic Winds, Tropic Breezes (India Navigation)
    Curtis Counce Group (Contemporary Mono)
    Thelonious Monk - Brilliant Corners (Riverside 1st white label mono in great shape)

Then this Boner:

The Rendon Brothers - From Us to You.... listen in the next post:

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    LoopDreams said:
    Nice haul DeJean... you got some listenin to do. How is the Nino Ferrer: Metronomie LP, always been curious about that one.

The 9-min. instrumental title track, "Freak" and "Cannabis" are the highlights to my ears.
    Bernard Estardy and Slim Pezin in effect.
    I like when the music has proggy instrumental leanings.

The straighter vocal poprock tunes aren't my bag.

leon said:
    Really happy to stumble upon Bobby Callender's Le musee de l'impressionisme LP (top-middle) in the field, long time want!
    Sutch a great album, i'm sure it has been discussed here on SS, can't find a thread tho. Anyone?

I found that last summer at a flea and was chuffed, but ultimately I had to purge it. IMO it's more of an "interesting" than "good" record.

My main gripe is Callender's vocal, which is funny in small doses, but grating in the long run. And the sound is kind of bland. It's supposedly from the early 70s, but sounds more late 70s.

Not trying to rain on your parade, just my opinion of course. Congrats on finding a longtime want.

There's an interesting essay by Gilbert Scott Markle (owner of Long View Farm recording studios) on the recording session here:

http://www.studiowner.com/essays/essay.asp?books=0&pagnum=164

According to Markle, Callender's whole "artiste" schtick was a scam that he had built a cult of personality on. Interestingly, he also mentions the dull sound.

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts
    crabmongerfunk said:
    incredible bongo band and ray bryant are dupes on the trading block....

like that strazzeri as well, theres another good one, "after the rain".

• inVrs said:

like that strazzeri as well, theres another good one, "after the rain".

is his record on catalyst "straz" any good? how about "frames"?

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    some 45s from a collection I bought. sorry for the long post.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    some solid 45s in amongst there.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Horseleech said:
    beatstew72 said:
    Cool Label:

Any chance to sound clips?

my ex-wife's family is from Bolivia, and an aunt gave me several of her old records...most on Lyra label. none are awesome in a psych/groovy/funk way. mostly trad. music like Cueca.

I'm out of town right now, I'll try and post some after the weekend. I feel like most of the records I see from Bolivia are on this label.
    Any clips of this? I'm curious what it sound like.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    Yeah, we need clips of that ASAP!

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    The_Non said:
    Horseleech said:
    beatstew72 said:
    Cool Label:

Any chance to sound clips?

my ex-wife's family is from Bolivia, and an aunt gave me several of her old records...most on Lyra label. none are awesome in a psych/groovy/funk way. mostly trad. music like Cueca.

I'm out of town right now, I'll try and post some after the weekend. I feel like most of the records I see from Bolivia are on this label.
    Any clips of this? I'm curious what it sound like.

Bizarre Psych/Prog that goes through some weird changes:

http://www.divshare.com/download/14514709-0bf

I love this shit.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    big week which was capped off by catching The Meters live last night :headbang: