48??2(9+3) = ???

Comments

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    waxjunky said:

Algebra doesn't work like that. At all.

Is this even algebra? LOL

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    At this point, "2 (12)" is equivalent to "2 x 12" so you really have

I can see how this might seem correct, except that 2(12) is actually just one term, while 2 x 12 is two terms. Not the same.

musica said:
    waxjunky said:

Algebra doesn't work like that. At all.

Is this even algebra? LOL

No, actually.

• Too!

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    waxjunky said:

I can see how this might seem correct, except that 2(12) is actually just one term, while 2 x 12 is two terms. Not the same.

Well, I simply don't agree. And neither does the WolframAlpha computation engine. [edit ... that link doesn't always resolve correctly, but you can just type in the correct expression]

When you write "2(9+3)", it's inferred that you mean "2 x (9+3)" which is an expression, not a single term.

Perhaps 2(x) is considered a single term, but I think it remains an expression when you're dealing with known values.

Of course, I'm a librarian and not a mathematician. If you teach mathematics at the university level (or you can point to a resource that backs up what you're saying) then I'll be more than happy to sit down and shut up. Otherwise, I'll continue to sit comfortably in the 288 camp.

Interestingly, If you punch in "48??(2(9+3))" at that damned WolframAlpha site, as I suggested earlier, you then get 2 for an answer.

• 'merican educational system. Lord help us!

Send your kids to Shanghai or Finland.

brokenrecord said:
    'merican educational system. Lord help us!

Send your kids to Shanghai or Finland.

'mericans will argue about anything. This thread proves that if nothing else.

'merican and proud of it!!!

• Snagglepus said:
    Interestingly, If you punch in "48??(2(9+3))" at that damned WolframAlpha site, as I suggested earlier, you then get 2 for an answer.

but when you put in 48??2(9+3), which was the original question, it gives you 288. So does google search, btw. I'm converted.

Otis_Funkmeyer said:
    Snagglepus said:

but when you put in 48??2(9+3), which was the original question, it gives you 288. So does google search, btw. I'm converted.

Yeah ... I mentioned that in one of my earlier longwinded dorktastic remedial math posts. So either the Wolfram calculator is flawed or the 2 crowd needs a little more 'merican schoolin'.

• dammsdamms 704 Posts
    Snagglepus said:
    So either the Wolfram calculator is flawed or the 2 crowd needs a little more 'merican schoolin'.
    calculators don't usually respect the same order of arithmetic operations that compilers follow (compilers are programs used for producing computer code from code written and readable by humans)

• dwyhajlodwyhajlo 420 Posts
    What this really drives home is that you should always remember to include brackets when you're writing out an equation.

• I love that this was a 3 pager

If you google this math problem, it has sparked debates all over the internet. 50-pagers and all types of arguing among message boards that aren't even math-related. The equation has ambiguities because it's poorly written.

Snagglepus said:
    waxjunky said:

Well, I simply don't agree. And neither does the WolframAlpha computation engine. [edit ... that link doesn't always resolve correctly, but you can just type in the correct expression]

When you write "2(9+3)", it's inferred that you mean "2 x (9+3)" which is an expression, not a single term.

Perhaps 2(x) is considered a single term, but I think it remains an expression when you're dealing with known values.

Of course, I'm a librarian and not a mathematician. If you teach mathematics at the university level (or you can point to a resource that backs up what you're saying) then I'll be more than happy to sit down and shut up. Otherwise, I'll continue to sit comfortably in the 288 camp.

I'm a chef with an English degree.

damms said:
    Snagglepus said:
    So either the Wolfram calculator is flawed or the 2 crowd needs a little more 'merican schoolin'.
    calculators don't usually respect the same order of arithmetic operations that compilers follow (compilers are programs used for producing computer code from code written and readable by humans)

Did you look at the Wolfram site? I referred to it as a calculator in a post but it's designed to solve expressions, not to behave like a simple calculator (i.e. it does follow order of operations). They use the term "Computational knowledge engine" to describe it. That thing is my new Google. I'm going to start typing all of my life's problems into it, though I'm not sure how helpful it's going to be.

Anyway, I do agree with Waxjunky that the expression is ambigious to begin with (obviously if its been fooling the entire frickin' internet). Very poor maths.

• LaserWolf said:
    LIO?

Last
    Inside
    Outside

For me, there is only one Lio

waxjunky said:

I'm a chef with an English degree.

Ha ha. A chef and a librarian debating mathematics on Soulstrut.

• (48??2)(9+3) = 288

now everyone sees that right?

48??2(9+3) =
    this problem is exactly the same, because the first bracket is not necessary
    Euroman to the rescue

Walter_Nagl said:

Euroman to the rescue

Phew! You sure came around in the nick of time!

• barjesusbarjesus 872 Posts
    This is interesting because there isn't a true consensus about multiplication by juxtaposition. There is no 'right' answer, because the expression is written ambiguously. I always understood that juxtaposition came first, but I guess it depends on who you ask.

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    In the end, it is just a poorly written mathematical expression. No one should use that division sign after the 7th grade anyways.

• Walter_Nagl said:
    (48??2)(9+3) = 288

48??2(9+3) =
    Euroman to the rescue

• barjesusbarjesus 872 Posts
    CinisterCee said:
    Walter_Nagl said:
    (48??2)(9+3) = 288

48??2(9+3) =
    Euroman to the rescue

Ha!

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    tripledouble said:
    PEMDAS!!!!!
    parentheses, exponents, multiply, divide, addition, subtraction

48??2(9+3)

Before this became a 3 pager I showed it to a friend who uses algebra at work.
    She said 288.
    Said she just worked left to right. (Respecting parentheses obviously.)
    Had never heard FOIL OR PEMDAS.
    But I explained to her she was wrong according to all you all.

But then this happened.
    Parentheses=12
    exponents none
    Multiply Really? What am I multiplying? 2x12 or 24x12? can't be 24 by 12 because division has not happened yet. So lets divide.
    Division=24
    Now lets multiply=

So PEMDAS gives us 288.

But not before I rant how stupid PEMDAS is. FOIL is a mnemonic.
    PEMDAS is nothing. So some one came up with Pretty Edith MAkes Dem Aunts SAlly or something like that, like that is easier to remember than what ever it was we were trying to remember.

So not only does PEMDAS not give us 2, but it is a stupid memory device.

Anyway, like so many math puzzles this one is a trick based on a false (ambiguous) assumption (equation).

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Good lord. It's written poorly as an equation, but it boils down to this:

Draw a line. Put 48 on top. Put 2(9+3) on the bottom. Solve. The answer is 2.

• cookbookcookbook 783 Posts
    it is a badly written equation. a good math teacher would take either 2 or 288. however, a good math teacher wouldn't write the equation in this way... a piece of shit math teacher would.

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:

Grandfather said:
    DB_Cooper said:

What it boils down to depends on whether you believe "2(12)" is equivalent to "2 x 12".

Everyone agrees that you do what's inside the parentheses first. So we're all looking at:

48??2(12)

This is where we diverge.

If you believe that "2(12)" is equivalent to "2x12" [which is the camp I'm in], then following order of operations you'd solve left to right, first dividing 48 by 2 and then multiplying the result by 12, ending up with 288.

If you believe that "2(12)" is not equivalent to "2x12" and should be treated as a number (and thus exists outside of traditional order of operations), then you'd solve "2(12)" first and divide 48 by the result, ending up with 2.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

If you believe that "2(12)" is equivalent to "2x12" [which is the camp I'm in], then following order of operations you'd solve left to right, first dividing 48 by 2 and then multiplying the result by 12, ending up with 288.

This was my understanding and how I originally voted.