Government Shutdown

countmaculacountmacula 196 Posts
edited April 2011 in Strut Central
Yo, this probably wont affect the average Joe but I work for the Department of State and if the shutdown lasts awhile it's gonna fusk me up. I don't think it'll last too long though. A nice 3 or 4 day weekend will probably do me some good. It's a shame these idiots can't get their act together though.

Comments

• Options
    I hope it doesn't screw you too badly but I want this to happen. The last time it blew up huge in the GOP's face and I think the same thing would happen again. Just wait until a few million teabaggers don't get their IRS refunds. They'll be able to hear the whining in Albania.

• Yeah. Agreed. I'm already sick of the teabagger phenomenon. They should be careful what they wish for. It didn't turn out too swell for them in Wisconsin.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Thanks for posting, sorry it leaves you in limbo.

It will effect most everyone if it lasts a week or more.

I remember last time one thing people freaked out about was the Smithsonian closing.

The new crop got elected promising 100billion cut from waste and fraud in the first year.
    So far they have only found about 60billion they want to cut, all from needed government services.

They need to cut discretionary* spending by 20% but could only find 5% to cut from Nancy Pilosi's congressional budget.

* It's all discretionary including the wars in Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan and Libya and SS and Medicare. All discretionary.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    apparently the only issue left to sort out is ''funding'' abortion
    the tea party crackheads won't budge on any family planning info!

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    countmacula said:
    It didn't turn out too swell for them in Wisconsin.

????? O RLY?

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    LaserWolf said:

I remember last time one thing people freaked out about was the Smithsonian closing.

The new crop got elected promising 100billion cut from waste and fraud in the first year.
    So far they have only found about 60billion they want to cut, all from needed government services.

They need to cut discretionary* spending by 20% but could only find 5% to cut from Nancy Pilosi's congressional budget.

* It's all discretionary including the wars in Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan and Libya and SS and Medicare. All discretionary.

I don't think SS and Medicare are discretionary they are entitlements.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    Got my refund today!

The GOP holding govt hostage over planned parenthood funding = democratic congress next cycle.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    maybe im wrong, but it seems like the budget becomes the most important issue and we get these threats of shutdown only when republicans arent in power and they want to sabotage the dems agenda

btw.it seems that the dems agenda is to let themselves get backed down and sabotaged by repubs

• countmacula said:
    Yo, this probably wont affect the average Joe but I work for the Department of State and if the shutdown lasts awhile it's gonna fusk me up. I don't think it'll last too long though. A nice 3 or 4 day weekend will probably do me some good. It's a shame these idiots can't get their act together though.

I feel for you. I have a friend who works with the Department of Education and another that works in Department of Justice, but they seem calm about it. From what I've heard, some effects it'll have on the public extends all the way to national parks being closed. I do believe that the Postal Services will still be running, but I'm wondering why I haven't gotten my mail yet. Maybe I shouldn't panic yet.

sabadabada said:
    LaserWolf said:

I don't think SS and Medicare are discretionary they are entitlements.

George Will pointed this out a few weeks ago. Entitlement spending, like defense, is at the discretion of congress. It is discretionary. It's just that congress is afraid to exercise their discretion.

tripledouble said:

btw.it seems that the dems agenda is to let themselves get backed down and sabotaged by repubs

Truth.

Since the postal service is an independent corporate entity, and self funding, I doubt it will be effected at all.

• LaserWolf said:
    Since the postal service is an independent corporate entity, and self funding, I doubt it will be effected at all.

They are?! I was always under the impression that the United States Postal Service were a government-funded entity, and that organizations like FedEx, UPS and such were the independent corporations.

• LaserWolf said:

Thanks. During the time all this shutdown talk was going on, I was wondering if the mail would be affected because I had always thought that they were government-run. At least this gives me peace of mind, plus the fact that I got my mail finally. Nothing but junk mail and ads.

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    SS is not an entitlement.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    ss is a ponzi scheme

Soulstrut is a ponzi scheme?

• it will affect the average joe, let the games begin...