Fun Lovin' Criminals
    KISS
    Massive Attack
    Polyphonic Spree
    Toxic Spock
    Mindless Drug Hoover
    Now Is The Time To Forget The Whimpering Child And Become The Warrior
    Pigbag
    Beady Eye (apparently, "So they are next to the Beatles on the shelf.")
    Oasis (why?)
    The Entire Population of China

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    Ou Est Le Swimming Pool

The Ting Tings

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Fuck Buttons
    Meanwhile, Back In Communist Russia
    These New Puritans
    ///????????? (ok a solo artist but it still riles me)

These are all from a recent compilation a friend did for me.

Also, The Beatles is a horrible, horrible, name.

• Some of these nominations are so dumb... I mean, "The Pixies," on its own may seem ehhh, but that name was PERFECT for them, their sound, sensibility, etc. Same with Black Keys, the hate for which I do not get.

And, The Beatles? You REALLY hate that? It was fucking perfect. Some of this contrarian nonsense annoys the fuck out of me.

2000s Indie Rock names are terrible, tho.

gareth said:

And, The Beatles? You REALLY hate that? It was fucking perfect. Some of this contrarian nonsense annoys the fuck out of me.

No I don't REALLY hate the name The Beatles. But is it a godawful band name? In my opinion yes. It's a shit word pun and would be laughed at if a band came out with it today. Compared to most of the iconic bands of the sixties it's horribly twee and more appropriate to their skiffle days than what they created afterwards.

• Junior said:
    gareth said:

No I don't REALLY hate the name The Beatles. But is it a godawful band name? In my opinion yes. It's a shit word pun and would be laughed at if a band came out with it today. Compared to most of the iconic bands of the sixties it's horribly twee and more appropriate to their skiffle days than what they created afterwards.

To me, the fact that they grew out of the name, and turned it into something else, makes it far more meaningful.

gareth said:
    Junior said:
    gareth said:

To me, the fact that they grew out of the name, and turned it into something else, makes it far more meaningful.

Fair enough, understand where you're coming from. I've just always hated the "beat" pun, blame it on having an English teacher as a parent or just being born with a generally high level of irritation at the world in general. Probably not the time to bring up my feelings about The Beach Boys......

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,895 Posts
    The Peech Boys... just asking for printing trouble.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    They should have been called
    Beetles Cupboard Raid

3 ironic sorta related unrelated words. So cool.

Yes much better.

Or just, you know, The Beetles.

I think people are confusing a personal opinion on a band's name with criticism of the music which I love and have listened to all my life.

Plus ca change.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    Horseleech said:
    The Pains Of Being Pure At Heart

That name has a pretty great story behind it, though. Charles Augustus Steen III is an unsung genius and IMO is one of the coolest ugly-men-who-get-hot-trim since Serge Gainsbourg.

I can't speak on the band or their music. I've never seen/heard them.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    It's only a matter of months before an EP drops from The Charlie Sheens or TigerBlood

• badder_than_evil said:
    Half man Half Biscuit.
    King Pleasure and the Biscuit boys

You'll probably want to add King Biscuit Time to this list...

• captain beefheart.

hot boyz

huey lewis and the news.

i would, however, wait in line for tickets overnight if those three ever played a show together.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    The Disco Biscuits

• Snow Patrol

• HollafameHollafame 844 Posts
    http://www.buzzfeed.com/daves4/40-names-of-bands-before-they-were-famous

I think the Chili Peppers had it right the first time...

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    HOLLAFAME said:
    http://www.buzzfeed.com/daves4/40-names-of-bands-before-they-were-famous

I think the Chili Peppers had it right the first time...

The Barenaked Ladies were originally Free Beer? Talk about two crappy names.

KISS should have stayed Wicked Lester.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    a huge omission so far
    DAMU DA FUDGEMUNK