Spread Love Mix by DJ Apollo

Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
edited April 2011 in Strut Central
This mix tape Apollo did in the mid 90s is EXTRA CRAZY BANANAS. Got this on repeat right now.....

http://www.mixcrate.com/mix/40419/DJ-Apollo-Spread-Love

Comments

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    Imo Apollo has always been so under rated as an allrounder. His mixes are always incredible and the West Coast (even the world) battle/turntablist scene (think q-bert, mike, shortkut and dstyles just to name a few) would be significantly different with out him. I have seen him play a few times in clubs and every time he has owned it. Yet sadly you hardly ever hear his name mentioned in dj circles.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    50 timeless classic tracks

What more do you need? I'm bangin it right now. Thanx for sharing Chan!

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    the_dL said:
    Imo Apollo has always been so under rated as an allrounder. His mixes are always incredible and the West Coast (even the world) battle/turntablist scene (think q-bert, mike, shortkut and dstyles just to name a few) would be significantly different with out him. I have seen him play a few times in clubs and every time he has owned it. Yet sadly you hardly ever hear his name mentioned in dj circles.

No doubt. Q-bert, mike, shortkut and dstyles are very technical DJs with all the scratching but NONE of those guys can rock a party like Apollo.

they all (from memory) credit apollo as being one of the biggest influences on them when it came to battling/scratching/juggling bitd. the Rocksteady Dj's92!

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    PLO STYLE!!

• Big_Chan said:
    the_dL said:

No doubt. Q-bert, mike, shortkut and dstyles are very technical DJs with all the scratching but NONE of those guys can rock a party like Apollo.

I wouldn't lump Shortkut with Qbert. He's actually a really solid party DJ. I think Apollo may go a little harder but Shortkut is knowledgeable about a bunch of genres and puts it down, too.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Mongo_Slade said:
    Big_Chan said:
    the_dL said:

I wouldn't lump Shortkut with Qbert. He's actually a really solid party DJ. I think Apollo may go a little harder but Shortkut is knowledgeable about a bunch of genres and puts it down, too.

Real talk.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    mannybolone said:
    Mongo_Slade said:
    Big_Chan said:
    the_dL said:

Real talk.

Cosign. Shortkut is legendary for his party rocking abilities around these parts (pick a genre: hip hop, funk / soul, reggae / dancehall, etc). He murdalized it at the 45 sessions last month!

i wasnt "lumping" any one with any one, i have probably listened to ShortKut and Vinroc's So Much Soul more than any mixtape ever, I regard all of those guys very highly for their individual achievements, and have also seen Short Kut play some amazing dance floor sets, plus his cuts i think besides maybe Babu and D-Styles are the most musical on the planet and his juggling is next level ( his 94 NMS impeach the president routine was the first time i personally understood what juggling was really meant to be). Having said that in the dj/battle circuit that i used to run in Short Kut etc were all very highly regarded and have toured down here reasonably extensively, but no one really mentions Apollo and he has never been down here. I just think he he under appreciated, not trying to take anything away from any of the other ISP or Junkies Triple Threat guys

• I've had the pleasure of DJing with Apollo (and Short) a number of times. In addition to being consummate party-rockers, both guys are genuine, nice people, so much so that you almost forget to be intimidated.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    hogginthefogg said:
    I've had the pleasure of DJing with Apollo (and Short) a number of times. In addition to being consummate party-rockers, both guys are genuine, nice people, so much so that you almost forget to be intimidated.

Co-siggidy-sine. They're both really good dudes and refreshingly ego-free.

And yeah, Short can definitely rock a party.

Mongo_Slade said:
    Big_Chan said:
    the_dL said:

True indeed. I stand corrected. I remember seeing Shortkut destroy parties with dancehall sets that were crazy.

Mongo_Slade said:
    Big_Chan said:
    the_dL said:

True indeed. I stand corrected. I remember seeing Shortkut destroy parties with dancehall sets that were crazy.