The Official Soul Strut 100 Poll (V. 1)

2»

Comments

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    mannybolone said:
    Personally, I still don't "get" the concept as it's now manifested
    I don't know how much there is to get, really. The initial framing was "The 100 Records That Soulstrut Likes Best," and what Raj was after was more like "The 100 Records Most Relevant To Soulstrut." I mean, look at your own collection: If someone were to ask you "What are your favorite records?", would the answer be the same as "What are your most important records?"?

I know that the social is usually less interesting than the personal, that lists of important things are usually less interesting than lists of favorite things, but soulstrut has in recent years become so aggressively ahistorical and so exclusively personal that right now I think a look at the records that people feel have shaped this particular community would be more worthwhile than yet another Things We Like.

That said, 100 is a lot of fucking records. I think most folks here could think of ten or twenty or maybe even forty records that have figured into their soulstrut experience in some important way; after that, memory and interest tends to peter out, and folks tend to fall back on the aforementioned Things We Like. Personally, I'd trim it. Considerably.
    miguel__fz

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    james said:
    mannybolone said:
    Personally, I still don't "get" the concept as it's now manifested
    I don't know how much there is to get, really. The initial framing was "The 100 Records That Soulstrut Likes Best," and what Raj was after was more like "The 100 Records Most Relevant To Soulstrut." I mean, look at your own collection: If someone were to ask you "What are your favorite records?", would the answer be the same as "What are your most important records?"?

I know that the social is usually less interesting than the personal, that lists of important things are usually less interesting than lists of favorite things, but soulstrut has in recent years become so aggressively ahistorical and so exclusively personal that right now I think a look at the records that people feel have shaped this particular community would be more worthwhile than yet another Things We Like.

That said, 100 is a lot of fucking records. I think most folks here could think of ten or twenty or maybe even forty records that have figured into their soulstrut experience in some important way; after that, memory and interest tends to peter out, and folks tend to fall back on the aforementioned Things We Like. Personally, I'd trim it. Considerably.

Personally, I found it hard to fill out V2 only b/c I lost track of how many records I had chosen (and I was only in the E section!). I have a feeling that the early part of the alphabet is going to get weighted more heavily for that very reason but all these are experiments in data collection and whatever we learn can hopefully be put to good use down the road.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    I recommend that DeeRock do an essential list via Youtube, as done before in a mind melting fashion.
    Where is that video by the way?

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    mannybolone said:
    Personally, I found it hard to fill out V2 only b/c I lost track of how many records I had chosen (and I was only in the E section!). I have a feeling that the early part of the alphabet is going to get weighted more heavily for that very reason but all these are experiments in data collection and whatever we learn can hopefully be put to good use down the road.

Tut tut, Mr. Balone. Looks like someone didn't read the directions:

We thought it would be cool to document the top 100 albums discussed on Soul Strut over the past 10 years (good and bad). Please check as many albums below you feel belong on the top 100 list. If you do not see an album you feel belongs on the list, please write it in.{/quote}

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:
    mannybolone said:

Tut tut, Mr. Balone. Looks like someone didn't read the directions:

We thought it would be cool to document the top 100 albums discussed on Soul Strut over the past 10 years (good and bad). Please check as many albums below you feel belong on the top 100 list. If you do not see an album you feel belongs on the list, please write it in.{/quote}

Oops, my bad.

That doesn't change my basic concern though: an alphabetical listing of 300 titles would favor those at the early end of the alphabet. It's a common problem with any survey that exceeds a certain length: "survey fatigue"