Mobile PAs

DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
edited April 2011 in Strut Central
I think it's time for me to stop tossing money at my sound guys and to make the investment in my own mobile PA unit.
I'm looking at getting 4 tops, and 2 subs for those times when I'l need to fill up a big room.

I need something compact, self-powered, and that doesnt sound too bad. any suggestions?
i know the self-powered ones generally sound like crap, but i have limited storage space (NYC apartment related). definitely not enough space for a big amp and huge tops. any suggestions?

Comments

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Killin' it..........

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Get a warehouse in BK. Then call Simon from Mighty Crown and have him build you a sound system like his.....

• k12's are great and small, i've never used a ksub though so i can't comment on those. don't get any mackies

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    I have a Fender Passport for small coffee house acoustic guitar gigs. Very portable and folds up easy... Never rocked it for DJ use... does not come with any sub woofers.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    if you just get a couple 16" cabs, you probably wont need a sub...since you are going for portability.
    Get a workhorse (stay away from Behringer though, one of the shittiest brands around) 600 watt PA head/mixer and the aforementioned 16" cabs...that is about as portable as you can get and still get a big sound from my experience. DJ gigs I have heard through self-powered things sounded like crap.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    The_Hook_Up said:
    DJ gigs I have heard through self-powered things sounded like crap.

they do, but i think there are some out there now that have caught up a little.

i have had horrible experiences with mackies as well. those things suck!

• doisndoisn baleadas&pupuzas 303 Posts
    just bought a pair of these:

RCF ART 312 A

some knowledgable guys recommended me these as the best you can get for this price. So far them sound really great by the first testing sessions. Next Saturday they will get the litmus test so then i could report more.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    I have a pair of EAW fr153z that i got used for a good deal, theres a matching sub that they can pole mount onto as well. Really, really heavy.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    I bought two of these MSR400 7 or 8 months ago.

They sound really good and there is a sub that goes with them.

I have a second PA system that I can use along with these to cover bigger rooms too.

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    doisn said:
    RCF ART 312 A

Co-sine on these, much better than the mackies.