Sometimes A Great Notion - Book or Movie

downtownrobbrowndowntownrobbrown 446 Posts
edited April 2011 in Strut Central
Cookoo's Nest is one of my favorite books so I've always wanted to read Kesey's "Sometimes A Great Notion". Never knew there was a movie based on the book though, a movie which is rated 100% on Rotten Tomatoes.

Has anyone read the book and seen the movie? Will I cheat myself by watching the movie? I doubt I'll ever have time to actually read the book.

Thanks!

Comments

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I recommend the book.

A little while ago I thought of renting the movie because it was filmed down where I spend xmas on the Oregon coast.
    Watched the trailer which billed it as a comedy followup to something like Smokey and The Bandit.
    Decided not to rent.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    I liked the book more than the movie, though I don't remember the movie so well.

I think this is a better book than Cukoo's Nest.

• The book is one of the best American novels ever written, and the most under-appreciated book in 20th Century American literature. I'm not exaggerating.

Read it. Do not fuck around. Read it yesterday.

Somewhere on here are some testimonials from myself and others. But enough with all that. Read it.

One of the best books I've ever read... And I have four times.

• Options
    Love the book!!! Read it years ago and I still remember it very well.

I wrote Zane a letter while reading the book. I remember receiving the reply my junior year at high school. I was sitting at a table in the cafeteria when I open the letter.

"Face your fears with eyes open, and never get off the bus."

- Zane

That was very nice.

• I have a Grateful Dead bootleg video of the Dead playing in Egypt 78 directly from Zane. It is wild. Probably one of the rarer things in my collection.

• Options
    Very cool,

I ride hard for the Dead, as some all ready know.

Might as well add Tom Wolfe's electric acid Kool-aid test to the reading list even though it is written totally differently.

Ps: can I rent that bootleg?

• goatboygoatboy 371 Posts
    I'll forever owe Gareth for getting me to finally read this book.
    One of the best novels I've ever read for sure.
    Has scenes that will totally rip your heart out.

Follow his sage advice.

Don't ask - Just read!