On the hunt through the internets for some quality Dancehall...(blog-r)

BruceGeetzBruceGeetz 97 Posts
edited March 2011 in Strut Central
Anybody know of any blogs where I can find some good, current, Dancehall?

This track right here is a good example:

I have my monthly gig tomorrow night and I really wanted to play some new Dancehall stuff, but I didn't want to go the everyday bastardized hip hop sound shit that has been rampant since the early 2000s

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Artist names, song names, anything. I just need some leads, lol.

Comments

• check out stuff on Mungo's Hi Fi -- pretty sure all (or at least most) of their releases are available digitally.

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    What you posted is heavily bordering on dubstep, I hope you are located in europe/england for proper crowd response.
    I second mungo's hi-fi, innovative music that resonates with normal people.

http://www.dancehallzone.net has a crapload of new dancehall, but you really have to sift to find the style you are looking for.

Personally I am feeling the message riddim:

Island vibes:

and Pleasure riddim:

And if those are too hip hop for you, you should probably stick with UK artists and good luck getting people dancing to that.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    jaysus said:
    What you posted is heavily bordering on dubstep.

You think so? I don't get that at all. It sounds more typical Jamaican now steez to me than anything else.

Then again, he's shouting out Selassie instead of his car or phone...so maybe it is aimed for the foreign market.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    OPs' tune has got a bit of a UkSteppers vibe to it. It definitely sounds more like it came from Euroland than JA.

I've been feeling the Turn it up riddim.

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    "Original Chappa, a Dominican now living in Sweden"

Sweden has a wicked dubstep scene. AKA skrewface sound http://skrewfacesound.com/

Original link sounds much like that, minus the wobble bass but still in the dubstep realm.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Thanks for the clarification.

• thanks for the help yall!

I didn't think that tune was dubsteppy, I thought dub-step was all that wobbly bass, fast, hard sounding shit. Because from I've heard, I think dubstep sucks. lol But I'm not knowledgeable so I'm probably wrong on my description

• trenchyler track 18 absolutely killin it, my fave dancehall tape of the pre-summer

• who cares dancehall is for fags