Opening Acts That Were Better Than The Headliners?

LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
edited March 2011 in Strut Central
Who have you seen blow away the headliner?

Comments

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Saw Arthur Lee open for Crapton at the Nassau Coliseum.

Saw Santana open for Crapton at the LA Forum.

Maybe Crapton just sucks and it took me a while to figure it out.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Guns N Roses > The Cult.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Bodyjar > Blink 182 (don't ask)

• JamalJamal 410 Posts
    Shawanda> Cindy

stripjoint.

• The Charlatans blew Oasis away both times I saw them support them 6 years apart.

• tuneuptuneup 586 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    Guns N Roses > The Cult.

saw that tour myself. they were pretty awesome. I had no idea who they were, and they just turned a crowd who mostly didn't know them right on their ear. amazing.

also... The Fluid opening for Mudhoney. The Fluid were criminally under rated. So great.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Metallica>>>>>>>>>>Ozzy (1986)

• Pantera...... openin' for Skid Row(too many years ago)

• KadinkKadink Mainstream hip-hop is losing its street edge 98 Posts
    Iron Maiden > Scorpions

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    Countless number of opening DJs > the Headliner.

• I wasn't there, but supposedly after Kool & the Gang opened for her in 1969, Nina Simone said, "I don't quite know how to follow that!"

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    I went to a gig that had Horace Andy w/ DJ support from the Mad Professor as the headline. They were pretty good, but the support act, which actually followed Andy were amazing; a band called the Soothsayers.

According to youtube comments, the horn section is now doing the FELA musical @ the Barbican. One of the highlights of their set was an afrobeat track that included an interpolation of the Outkast Spottieottiedoppielicious horns.

Mad Professor liked 'em as he (and Quantic) have remixed the above youtube track.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,916 Posts
    In 1977, I saw Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers open for Nils Lofgren at the Liverpool Empire. Petty & co blew Nils into the Mersey.

I'm sure I've seen a few support acts turn over the headliner since then, but none have stayed with me to quite the same extent as that.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    1982 The Clash > >>>>>>>1982 The Who

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Odetta > Taj Mahal (on that night)

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    tuneup said:
    also... The Fluid opening for Mudhoney. The Fluid were criminally under rated. So great.

My old band played a couple of shows with them, they were a good band, nice guys too.

• wailers > sly and the family stone

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    I must say, y'all have seen some incredible shows. I remember at the second Lollapalooza, Ministry did quite a bit to steal the RHCP's closing thunder.

Also went to another concert, maybe a different Lollapalooza, where about half the place emptied right after Hole finished and Sonic Youth went on. I thought it was strange that so many people weren't even curious to see the headliner. I understand that traffic is a bitch after a concert, but damn.

• tuneuptuneup 586 Posts
    Horseleech said:
    tuneup said:

My old band played a couple of shows with them, they were a good band, nice guys too.

what was the name of your band? recordings?

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    I saw the Laughing Hyenas opening up for Killdozer and when they were done most of the crowd flocked around the bar, talking to each other about what amazing thing they had just witnessed while the main act supplied the background music.

• Fred_GarvinFred_Garvin The land of wind and ghosts 337 Posts
    My dad once told me a story from about 1968 or so, when he and some friends got free tickets to a Vanilla Fudge show. He wasn't a big fan, but he went anyway. The opening act that day was a group none of them had heard of called Led Zeppelin. Most of the audience apparently didn't pay much attention, but my dad's little group (all musicians themselves) was so impressed that they didn't even bother to stick around for Vanilla Fudge.

• Casual and Cali Agents (although it was when they split up and were doing their own solo things) both killed it prior to Pharcyde minus Fat Lip... i guess about 10 years ago?

However Casual's actual CD was nowhere near his performance live and was kinda meh.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    tuneup said:
    Horseleech said:
    tuneup said:

what was the name of your band? recordings?

Angel Rot. We had two 45s and a CD (which was released a few years after we broke up without my knowledge).

I would only stand behind the first 45 at this point, the second one is just OK. The CD was an unfinished album that was not nearly up to snuff, imo.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Summer of 1991 saw Nirvana completely wipe the floor with Dinosaur Jr. Not sure why Mascis even plugged in.

I remember hearing a lot about that Clash/Who thing in 82. Would have loved to see that tour.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    In my humble opinion, I thought the local SF DJ's (Hakobo+Guillermo) were better than Dam Funk and PB Wolf at a show I saw last month. Dam Funk and PB Wolf played some gems (45's), but I was feeling the opening act far more in this case. They was fonky.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    I remember seeing Rage Against The Machine open for House Of Pain right when the first album came out. Still one of the best live performances i've ever seen.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    mrmatthew said:
    I remember seeing Rage Against The Machine open for House Of Pain right when the first album came out. Still one of the best live performances i've ever seen.

Ditto. At a small club here in Seattle.