Why was Bodhi so inclined to befriend Johnny Utah?

downtownrobbrowndowntownrobbrown 446 Posts
edited March 2011 in Strut Central
Point Break is my favorite movie that being said there are a lot of holes in the film.

My biggest problem is why did Bodie want to trust a stranger like Johnny Utah? He didn't have anything to gain out of it. Utah was even sleeping with his old lady. Perhaps the whole lawyer thing is what got him.

Your thoughts?

Comments

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    Repressed gheyness?

• i'm pretty sure it was because of johnny utah's quarterback career at ohio state. the fact that bodhi would go so far as to point it out would infer that it was important enough to him to mention. even though you never once see him engage in the actual act of watching sports throughout the course of the film, we the viewer are meant to believe that bodhi was an avid collegiate football fan.

i believe utah's involvement started out as sheer novelty in the mind of bodhi, it is however that same mind that starts to see the competition of another alpha male inside of his pride. it is my contention that bodhi chose to welcome johnny utah into the group as a friend merely to keep his enemies close on a primal level.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Swayze was in Roadhouse, he nor his characters have to explain anything to you, unless you want a roundhouse to the dome.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I had forgotten this gem of a scene, perhaps this explains things:

Love youtube commenter comment:
    "I don't think the guy running from Keanu understands how dogs work"
    I laugh, but I'm hoping that wasn't a real dog. I doubt it based on animal cruelty laws.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Jspr said:
    It's explained in the bonus interviews on the DVD that Bodhi saw his own "spiritual attitude towards surfing" reflected in Johnny. Therefore.

Without having known this, I was going to say... it's spiritual. As the film points out, despite their different paths in life, the two were kindred souls.

• dont watch movies since the mid 90s, i like my brain unmushed.

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    Jspr said:
    It's explained in the bonus interviews on the DVD that Bodhi saw his own "spiritual attitude towards surfing" reflected in Johnny. Therefore.

Point Break is a great bad movie, directed of course by last years' Oscar darling Kathryn Bigelow. The argument between young fiesty Keanu and old burnout Busey in the beginning is so beautifully overacted.

yes! so good. and bad. keanu is acting his nuts off in that scene. its hard for me to explain my love of this film to people, since some can't handle epic 90s cheese.

• vintageinfants said:
    i'm pretty sure it was because of johnny utah's quarterback career at ohio state. the fact that bodhi would go so far as to point it out would infer that it was important enough to him to mention. even though you never once see him engage in the actual act of watching sports throughout the course of the film, we the viewer are meant to believe that bodhi was an avid collegiate football fan.

i believe utah's involvement started out as sheer novelty in the mind of bodhi, it is however that same mind that starts to see the competition of another alpha male inside of his pride. it is my contention that bodhi chose to welcome johnny utah into the group as a friend merely to keep his enemies close on a primal level.

Highly interesting stance.

• Jspr said:

Point Break is a great bad movie, directed of course by last years' Oscar darling Kathryn Bigelow. The argument between young fiesty Keanu and old burnout Busey in the beginning is so beautifully overacted.

HAHAHA. You watched the bonus interviews of the Point Break DVD. Just kidding thanks for helping us get to the bottom of this. I think this is best foreshadowed in the beach fight scene.

I don't know how Bodhi could have felt that though. Pigs can't surf.

• could an argument be made that bodhi knew utah was a cop the whole time yet played along only to see if he could still get away with it?

• vintageinfants said:
    could an argument be made that bodhi knew utah was a cop the whole time yet played along only to see if he could still get away with it?

Maybe Bodhi was so smart. Too smart not to smell a rat.

• b/w