Vinyl storage in the garage

thesolelifethesolelife 369 Posts
edited March 2011 in Strut Central
I know there's been discussion about storing vinyl on shelves or what kinda shelves, etc. But I haven't seen one about long term storage.

That said, I have vinyl in those u-haul boxes stacked in twos in the garage. I need to do some moving around to make room for a car. My first thought are those storage bins from Target so I can stack them 3 or 4 bins high.

Anyone have any suggestions on the best ones to get?

Thanks.

Comments

• El PrezEl Prez NE Ohio 1,141 Posts
    sell em

• barjesusbarjesus 872 Posts
    sweatshop said:
    sell em

Release them!

• DJ_WubWubDJ_WubWub 874 Posts
    like this
    I go 9 high

• DJ_WubWub said:
    like this
    I go 9 high

Thanks, yes! Where did you get dem crates?

thesolelife said:
    DJ_WubWub said:
    like this
    I go 9 high

Thanks, yes! Where did you get dem crates?
    i am in Australia anD they are made by a company called nally couldn't find Us distributor on Google

these are available at walmart
    Supreme crates

• walk into a florist shop, tell them you wanna buy some rose crates; where's the warehouse.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    DJ_WubWub said:
    like this
    I go 9 high
    Are your records flat in the crate or upright? Those crates look rectangular and short.

Reynaldo said:
    DJ_WubWub said:
    like this
    I go 9 high
    Are your records flat in the crate or upright? Those crates look rectangular and short.
    They are flat as they are too short cant get the Supreme Crates here. The crates I get though are alot stronger and as I can stack 9 high i can get a shitload of records in a small space.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    Isn't storing your records flat bad? I think they will start to warp over time because the center is thicker than the outside and the weight of the outside of the records start to pull downward.

billbradley said:
    Isn't storing your records flat bad? I think they will start to warp over time because the center is thicker than the outside and the weight of the outside of the records start to pull downward.
    no major issues as there is only 75 in each crate.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    This has come up many times.

No good ever comes of storing records.

• bigchalzbigchalz 220 Posts
    hopefully you live in a very dry climate, otherwise the humidity will take its toll on your records. if you do decide to leave them in the garage, i would check them once in a while for excessive moisture,mold/rot. i'm too o.c to leave records in a garage unless they're on their way to the dump or that garage is in the desert.

The records i have pictured are all for sale so they are hopefully not going to sit in crates too long.

• bigchalz said:
    hopefully you live in a very dry climate, otherwise the humidity will take its toll on your records. if you do decide to leave them in the garage, i would check them once in a while for excessive moisture,mold/rot. i'm too o.c to leave records in a garage unless they're on their way to the dump or that garage is in the desert.

I live in Sacramento, CA so not too humid in these parts. At this point, other than selling them, I have no choice but to store some of them in the garage. I'm sure my other option is putting them in storage- which to me, is just like keeping them in the garage. Well, I guess if I get the "climate controlled" storage space. Yeah, I know the best place is in the house but that's not happening right now.

Thanks for the feedback/suggestions.