RIP Liz

AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
edited March 2011 in Strut Central
Iconic and stunning.

Comments

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    dwyhajlo said:
    Maybe I'm the only one who feels this way, but it seems really, really strange that she's gone. One of those things that I never really thought of happening, so it's sort of hard to process at the moment.

I also totally agree with this.

Butterfield 8 is a favourite book and Taylor makes the movie a favorite, too. I love watching her.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    RIP.

• Truly among the last of the Golden Age of Hollywood. A terribly attractive woman who was a wonderful on-screen talent. No matter the role, she kept you interested with her presence and the personality she played through the character. Rest well, Liz.

• minimini 879 Posts
    R.I.P.

• dwyhajlodwyhajlo 420 Posts
    Maybe I'm the only one who feels this way, but it seems really, really strange that she's gone. One of those things that I never really thought of happening, so it's sort of hard to process at the moment.
    One of those personalities who seemed so much larger than life that it almost gave the sense that she would be around forever - sort of the way that envisioning a world without Michael Jackson or James Brown seemed so strange before they passed away. I dunno, one of the last of the "big ones" I guess.

• Options
    Her activism against AIDS is very nice.

RIP

• 50% of the time I walk into my house and proclaim, 'WHat a dum-PPP'

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:
    dwyhajlo said:
    One of those personalities who seemed so much larger than life that it almost gave the sense that she would be around forever - sort of the way that envisioning a world without Michael Jackson or James Brown seemed so strange before they passed away. I dunno, one of the last of the "big ones" I guess.

That's precisely how I see it. Now that so many people's default position concerning celebrity in general is scorn or cynicism (often justifiably), she was one of the last remnants of an age where the figures we saw on TV or in movies seemed to exist at a heightened level of reality to regular people, and even though that whole Golden Age Of Hollywood construct was essentially illusory (as Kenneth Anger's Hollywood Babylon went on to show), it was still a contract the audience was happy to enter into. She was a star when the term still meant something. There's probably only Lauren Bacall left now.

too true...

liz taylor was a true superstar, apparently a world class drinker (could keep up w/ richard burton), a grade A piece of ass (that half jewish thing worked well w/ her), a diva par excellence, and, yes, the last great movie star (the 1 million she got for being Cleopatra apparently burned Marilyn Monroe to no end)... the endless marriages and drama only enhance her image, as she was sorta a prototype for all the current trainwrecks we have today, and she sons them all...

• Options
    p_gunn said:
    too true...

liz taylor was a true superstar, apparently a world class drinker (could keep up w/ richard burton), a grade A piece of ass (that half jewish thing worked well w/ her), a diva par excellence, and, yes, the last great movie star (the 1 million she got for being Cleopatra apparently burned Marilyn Monroe to no end)... the endless marriages and drama only enhance her image, as she was sorta a prototype for all the current trainwrecks we have today, and she sons them all...

I really can't believe adult human beings care about this shit.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    dwyhajlo said:

That's precisely how I see it. Now that so many people's default position concerning celebrity in general is scorn or cynicism (often justifiably), she was one of the last remnants of an age where the figures we saw on TV or in movies seemed to exist at a heightened level of reality to regular people, and even though that whole Golden Age Of Hollywood construct was essentially illusory (as Kenneth Anger's Hollywood Babylon went on to show), it was still a contract the audience was happy to enter into. She was a star when the term still meant something. There's probably only Lauren Bacall left now.