2»

Comments

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    barjesus said:
    volumen said:
    Horseleech said:
    barjesus said:
    Brian said:

are you unemployed? Or just doom and gloom selling? I was unemployed for the last 2 years. During that time I was extremely grateful for what I did have.

All but the very poorest people in the U.S. live substantially better than most people in the world.

Every night when I go to sleep, in a sheltered environment with no imminent threat to my well-being, I'm grateful.

That's just what they want you to think. All those other countries are fighting each other for food you should be glad to slave away for corporations you should be so lucky.

less than 2% of people control 98% or the wealth (and that number is getting worse not better), 1/2 of that is owned by just 400 families. Corporations keep merging into large and larger monopolies with out any regulation. They jack prices while lowering service quality along with benefits for workers as well as massive layoffs which force those left to work even harder. The Rich hoard OUR money and now we are slashing public programs and teachers salaries to compensate.

we are at war in 3 different countries with thousands of young men and women dying or coming back emotionally and physically scared for life. wars that were unjustified and unnecessary. we are also killing inocent people in at least 1 other country with drones making people hate us even more

banks ran off with billions and are still screwing the economy and taking peoples homes. most of whom can't pay their mortgage because they lost their job due to a recession caused by the bank taking their home

our great hope for president has fallen in line with the corporate oligarchy that has controlled the country for quite some time now

more oil is washing up in the gulf, Japan is about to start glowing, cancer is on the rise and no one will even admit it's from all the chemicals we soak the planet with

I have a good job, I make lost of money, my wife is hot and we have lost of sex, my kids are great and I have a beautiful grand baby, I take lots of vacations and I live in an expensive house in the mountains where I am outside doing fun activities all the time

BUT....I am not naive enough to think that things aren't bad. Society is a shit hole, you just have to make the best of it.

My point, I guess, is that society isn???t a shit hole, despite what people keep telling me ALL THE TIME. Often it???s people like you (no offense), that are living better that almost everyone else in the world, that are encouraging others to feel that the world is a horrible cesspool beyond repair. Look at that laundry list. Sure, I might die of cancer, I might never even own a house to lose, but life is still beautiful, people are friendly and helpful everywhere. And life is worth living. That may be naive.

I totally agree that life is beautiful and there are plenty of great people. My wife had cancer and a great support group of friends and family is a big part of what helped us through. There are plenty of beautiful things in the world but the truth is that the powers that be would love it to be like 1984 with the rest of us slaving away obediently while they lead their lavish depraved lifestyle. In fact it's pretty close to that right now.

People in America are totally fooled by their so called freedoms. They are few and far between. Being allowed a vacation and and nice car is not freedom. Have you been paying attention to Wisconsin. Protesters and congressmen are being roughed up because they are trying to exercise their right to free speech. You get free speech when you are told you can have it, not when you actually want it.

And to not recognize how bad other have to live for us to have these freedoms is ego centric and lacks compassion. You think impoverished countries just don't try hard enough? They are full of oil and jewels and other natural resources that are exported to the west by western companies that work in the counties protected by the military dictatorships and puppet governments the west has set up. We never had a problem with Egypt and Libya being cruel dictatorships for 30 and 40 years until a mass of their population revolted and were were looking like asses for supporting the dictator. Now suddenly we care about democracy int hose countries.

People are dying in the middle east for oil. Nothing else. The US consumes a lot of it AND refuse to pursue alternative energy all so the rich can stay rich. The people AND THE PRESIDENT want alternative energy, but the few in power don't because it will affect their pocket book so we don't get it. You still think your free?

People are great, societies are not. Societies have inherently developed a strange need to have someone else in charge which involves given up ones freedom. Then while you off having your great life the people in power are working to get more power and more control until your nothing but a flea they can step on when they feel like it.

Soulhawk said:
    you really do have look on the bright side

I have 2 different types of cancer AND no insurance, yet I get up every morning thankful that I'm not dj_cityboy

it's the simple things in life y'know?

Stay strong, cancer can be beat.

• dwyhajlodwyhajlo 420 Posts
    It's amazing to me that we live in the best place to live on the planet, probably ever - EVER.

Unfortunately, the urge to make oneself heard often overwhelms the fact that people often have nothing insightful to say. That's really nothing new, though.

Things to be thankful for:
    -Plumbing
    -Indoor heating
    -Bicycles
    -Antibiotics
    -Vaccinations
    -99% literacy rates
    -The series of tubes we are communicating on
    And so on.

• Options
    I think having a positive outlook and a cheerful demeanor is important f

• Options
    soulone said:
    I think having a positive outlook and a cheerful demeanor is important.

Enthusiasm, too!

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    Brian said:
    WELL THERE'S PEOPLE STARVING IN AFRICA only lends so much comfort.

If I've told this before I apologize...

When my youngest daughter Jessie was 5 she wanted to go to a Chinese Restaurant that was one of these "All You Can Eat" Buffet joints (I hate them). She didn't even come close to finishing what was on her plate and my wife and I decided that was the last time we'd go there.

About 6 months later Jessie and I were spending the day together and she begged me to go back to the same restaurant. Against my better judgement I told here "OK, but you have to eat everything you put on your plate so be very careful when you choose your food". She agreed and we went....of course she didn't like some of the items she picked and didn't empty her plate...... I said to her. "Do you know what your Grandmother would have said to me if I had done this when I was your age...."That's a sin because there are children starving in China".

Without any hesitation she looked at me and said "Then why did they bring the food here"??

[cosby] I am grateful for witty kids! [/cosby]

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Rockadelic said:

Without any hesitation she looked at me and said "Then why did they bring the food here"??

I did the opposite. I handed my mom the uneaten food and said "Well then send this to them!"

True story.

• Options
    Herm said:
    Rockadelic said:

I did the opposite. I handed my mom the uneaten food and said "Well then send this to them!"

True story.

At first I thought you were going to say you sent it to them.

Anyway, did your mom send it?

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    Diggin' the scene with a gangsta lean

• JamalJamal 410 Posts
    Soulhawk said:
    you really do have look on the bright side

I have 2 different types of cancer AND no insurance, yet I get up every morning thankful that I'm not dj_cityboy

it's the simple things in life y'know?

I wish you strenght and hope you combat the disease brotherman. People dont know what they dont see.. and judge quickly.

Stay strong man.

• doisndoisn baleadas&pupuzas 303 Posts
    barjesus said:

I totally agree, I just find it ironic that often the people complaining have nothing to complain about, and those that do have things to complain about often don???t.

complaining is luxury

b/w

if you??re poor you got other things to weareeee about..

dwyhajlo said:
    It's amazing to me that we live in the best place to live on the planet, probably ever - EVER.

Unfortunately, the urge to make oneself heard often overwhelms the fact that people often have nothing insightful to say. That's really nothing new, though.

Things to be thankful for:
    -Plumbing
    -Indoor heating
    -Bicycles
    -Antibiotics
    -Vaccinations
    -99% literacy rates
    -The series of tubes we are communicating on
    And so on.

Wow make a sweater with that wool.

Plumbing - Been around since the Romans
    Indoor heating - Just a regulated fire. Been around for thousands of years
    Bicycles - Are very cool, but also been around for a long time
    Antibiotics - Do nothing. The real issue is poor diet and sanitation
    Vaccinations - See antibiotics
    99% literacy - means nothing when only 36% vote
    The tubes - about to be taken away, google net nutrality

it's amazing how tame a little pot and some rare funk will make people

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    volumen said:

Is that a reason we shouldn't be grateful for it?

b/w

The vast majority of people on the planet still don't have it, but I guess those people don't count.

volumen said:

Ditto

volumen said:

Yeah, for the last .00001% of human history, and again, no need to be grateful for them.

volumen said:

This is just ignorant.

volumen said:

Well, literacy is obviously wasted on some people, that's true.

volumen said:

It's also amazing how ungrateful some people who live in the lap of luxury are, and how blind to others suffering they can be.

• Options
    dwyhajlo said:

-99% literacy rates

No.

http://www.examiner.com/atheism-in-national/most-and-least-religious-us-states-compared-to-illiteracy-rate

Horseleech said:
    volumen said:

Is that a reason we shouldn't be grateful for it?

b/w

The vast majority of people on the planet still don't have it, but I guess those people don't count.

volumen said:

Ditto

volumen said:

Yeah, for the last .00001% of human history, and again, no need to be grateful for them.

volumen said:

This is just ignorant.

volumen said:

Well, literacy is obviously wasted on some people, that's true.

volumen said:

It's also amazing how ungrateful some people who live in the lap of luxury are, and how blind to others suffering they can be.

Are you serious? I'm the only one who's has actually pointed out that others suffer. Everyone else has their head in t he sand with "I have heat and a thermometer so thing must be fine" You really are ignorant if you think I'm blind to others suffering based on my statements.

Just because I have plumbing isn't good enough for me. i want everyone in the whole world to have heat and plumbing and good health care. Hell we can't even all get health care in the US and were accused of being commies for even wanting it. And the reason the whole world can't have these thing is because the US has to have gold plated toilets, S4 jets, giant diamonds, over flowing bank accounts McMansions ect ect. for it's elite. As well as the fact that we have to stuff our fat faces with excessive amount of food while the counties that grow it starve.

People that have it good have a fundamental responsibility to speak up for the people that don't have it so good. You on the other hand have the attitude of "I have it good so fuck everyone else." Then you have the nerve to accuse other of lacking compassion. Read the news and educated yourself about the way the world really works, or sit in your room stoned pretending multicolored bears are marching you to happy land. What ever works.

• dwyhajlodwyhajlo 420 Posts
    BobDesperado said:
    dwyhajlo said:

-99% literacy rates

No.

http://www.examiner.com/atheism-in-national/most-and-least-religious-us-states-compared-to-illiteracy-rate

I was basing that off of the CIA World Factbook stats. Interesting that such different numbers and parameters are used.

• Options
    dwyhajlo said:
    BobDesperado said:
    dwyhajlo said:

-99% literacy rates

No.

I was basing that off of the CIA World Factbook stats. Interesting that such different numbers and parameters are used.

True. There's a wide disparity in assessments of literacy, but I think 99% can only be reached by including everyone who knows what "cat" means.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    volumen said:

-Antibiotics
    -Vaccinations

I just want to say I am very thankful for antibiotics and vaccinations.

When I was in the 5th grade my appendix ruptured. Infection spread through out my body. I have no doubt I would have died if not for antibiotics. This is a common, not an exceptional story.

I am old enough to have met many crippled polio survivors. They were the lucky ones, polio was a very common disease and many people died from it. I am thankful that is nothing I or the many children I know who have been vaccinated, have to worry about.

• I remember when i wasnt working a couple of years ago, i was so happy bc i tried to do my best w/ what i had (Mos Def- Umi Says). I still wanted to better myself but i was in no rush bc i wanted to b true to myself. Now i get paid fairly well n im so stressed out. What gives?

• Options
    GOMontes said:
    I remember when i wasnt working a couple of years ago, i was so happy bc i tried to do my best w/ what i had (Mos Def- Umi Says). I still wanted to better myself but i was in no rush bc i wanted to b true to myself. Now i get paid fairly well n im so stressed out. What gives?

Welcome to the machine.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    In 1776 if you could sign your name you were considered literate.

I forget the other historical criteria.

Today, it is generally 5th grade reading, what it takes to understand USA Today.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    volumen said:

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I know people who this already applies to - not due to this guy's efforts - but they live very simply, travel very light. It is a totally different approach to living and I can't say I am up to the task.

The 100 Things Challenge

edit - I think furniture should be included.

LaserWolf said:
    volumen said:

-Antibiotics
    -Vaccinations

I just want to say I am very thankful for antibiotics and vaccinations.

When I was in the 5th grade my appendix ruptured. Infection spread through out my body. I have no doubt I would have died if not for antibiotics. This is a common, not an exceptional story.

I am old enough to have met many crippled polio survivors. They were the lucky ones, polio was a very common disease and many people died from it. I am thankful that is nothing I or the many children I know who have been vaccinated, have to worry about.

I will agree that most vaccinations are good. Things like polo and leprosy were obviously horrible and it's great we've controlled them.

But it's also pretty well known that sanitation standards is what keeps disease from spreading out of control. Just the invention of under wear was a major step in health standards. And yes, I realize a lot of people don't have clean under wear and I think they should. We can give people in underdeveloped countries all the shots and antibiotics we want but they still go back to a unsanitary neighborhoods and poor diet where they work 12 hours a day making us shoes. Thanks the real problem.

bassie said:
    I know people who this already applies to - not due to this guy's efforts - but they live very simply, travel very light. It is a totally different approach to living and I can't say I am up to the task.

The 100 Things Challenge

This I agree with greatly. We've allowed the bank and companies to take over by being slaves to consumerism. If we don't need a credit card to buy more stuff they loose their control over us. I've done a major cut back on my possessions lately, thanks for the link. That's encouraging. I don't know if I can get to 100, right now I'm using the rule if I don't use it at least once a year I don't need it and working down from there.

I think putting some things in groups is OK depending on your lifestyle. I do maintenance so I do need 100 tools. So I think it's OK to group them into 1 things especially since it's how I make my living. Plus if you have kids and grand kids your going to need a bit of furniture and that's OK if your making good use of it and making it last a long time as well.

• leonleon 883 Posts
    bassie said:

The 100 Things Challenge

This guy named Dave seems thankful for what he hasn't got
    Anyway i presume a strong Christian (protestant) belief behind this effort: Jesus also travelled 'very light' and the first two things are Bible books.

• leonleon 883 Posts
    b/w

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    Every day can be a gift and a blessing and every day can be a challenge and a fight.

I empathise with and have respect for both sides of the road.

• dammsdamms 704 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    Brian said:
    WELL THERE'S PEOPLE STARVING IN AFRICA only lends so much comfort.

If I've told this before I apologize...

When my youngest daughter Jessie was 5 she wanted to go to a Chinese Restaurant that was one of these "All You Can Eat" Buffet joints (I hate them). She didn't even come close to finishing what was on her plate and my wife and I decided that was the last time we'd go there.

About 6 months later Jessie and I were spending the day together and she begged me to go back to the same restaurant. Against my better judgement I told here "OK, but you have to eat everything you put on your plate so be very careful when you choose your food". She agreed and we went....of course she didn't like some of the items she picked and didn't empty her plate...... I said to her. "Do you know what your Grandmother would have said to me if I had done this when I was your age...."That's a sin because there are children starving in China".

ha ha ha ha! smart kid

• dammsdamms 704 Posts
    volumen said:

keeper