Jim Morrison?????

batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
edited March 2011 in Strut Central

Has his "allure" w/ the general public eroded?

I havent seen a JM T-Shirt or poster in a long ass minute.

I recall in the 80's a high school classmate of mine was reading his "conspiracy death" book. And he was still hot when i was in college. The Doors got played along w/ all the other Rock Classics.

They gave him a movie, and now in 2011, i dont see any traces of his "popularity".

I know The Doors have been smashed here on the Strut. Just wanted to know if dude has or hasnt stuck w/ a new generation of music fans/and or 60's Rock Icon worshippers.

Do they even play The Doors on Classic Rock radio?

Comments

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    I still hear "Roadhouse Blues" and "Light My Fire" on the radio, at least around here...also, I still end up working with at least one kid at the facility that is a Jim Morrison nut...seems to be one every 6 months or so. Also, folks still visit and graffiti his grave in Paris...so I think he is still a sort of counter-culture icon...but yeah, not as much as I remember.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Most musical styles since the birth of R&R have 20-25 year resurgence cycles......Morrison was immensley popular in the 80's & 90's.......in 2011....not so much.

I bet if you notice what "retro" music shirts the kids are wearing today they will be artists from 20-25 years ago.

The Beatles and Stones may be the exception as they are about to hit their second revival cycle.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    All I know is that LA Woman will still set any podunk redneck bar the hell off, bet that.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Was he a White Tupac of his time?

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    batmon said:
    Was he a White Tupac of his time?

Was Tupac the Black Jim Morrison?

• barjesusbarjesus 872 Posts
    Biopics ruin counterculture cred. I don???t think I see as many Ch?? posters, shirts, etc. after his various movies (I could be wrong about this one). I think it???s a saturation point thing.

barjesus said:
    Biopics ruin counterculture cred. I don???t think I see as many Ch?? posters, shirts, etc. after his various movies (I could be wrong about this one). I think it???s a saturation point thing.

Salma Hayek/Frida movie oversaturated her myth.

It seems Jimi Hendrix has avoided this phenomenon.

Rockadelic said:
    Most musical styles since the birth of R&R have 20-25 year resurgence cycles......Morrison was immensley popular in the 80's & 90's.......in 2011....not so much.

I bet if you notice what "retro" music shirts the kids are wearing today they will be artists from 20-25 years ago.

The Beatles and Stones may be the exception as they are about to hit their second revival cycle.

No doubt, but it seems like certain "icons" dont have that lasting power.

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    this one's a heater...bit too much poetry for me...sorta wish he'd shut up here and there, but shit's still a heater...

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

It seems Jimi Hendrix has avoided this phenomenon.

because unlike most rock icons, he is the greatest that will never be outdone. No one will ever say, "he/she is like Hendrix, but better".

this aint no appreciation thread

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    He went well with 90s aesthetics - grunge, 60s revival, pop-pseudo philosophising and general navel-gazing.
    The 60s and 70s were all over this past month's runways - his touseld head may rise again.

bassie said:
    He went well with 90s aesthetics - grunge, 60s revival, pop-pseudo philosophising and general navel-gazing.
    The 60s and 70s were all over this past month's runways - his touseld head may rise again.

I recall the 60s revival in full bloom in the 80's and the 90's being dominated by the 70's.

Neo-Soul was a direct reference to 70's Soul and them.

By the mid-late 90's was Jim even on the radar after the '91 flick?

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Revivals were only one part of my point.

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    Roommate was a big fan in college. I think we had a poster of a topless Morrison. Kept the Doors record out for her to spin. Still hear the Doors on classic rock radio. A guy in my program at school kind of looks like him, so IMO, he's still relevant. You've just got to hang with the girls who only have crushes on literary characters, dead rock stars and fictional vampires.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    Almond said:
    You've just got to hang with the girls who only have crushes on literary characters, dead rock stars and fictional vampires.

So true.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Almond said:
    You've just got to hang with the girls who only have crushes on literary characters, dead rock stars and fictional vampires.

Do I have to?

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    He was a vocal advocate of anal sex long before it became all trendy in the naughties.

• Options
    Not much there, IMO.

In terms of rock when someone says, "Morrison" I think of Van.

• bigchalzbigchalz 220 Posts

somebody posted this earlier this year, thought it should be reposted here in case anyone missed it. plaese to enlighten us if anybody knows of any other predictions(made in the 70s) about the future of music.

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    i agree his icon lustre is a bit dim these days.

one of my first evar record "scores" was doors related. i was 12 i think, and staying at an uncles house for a week because my parents were on a trip. my cousin had started college so he wasnt there, and i would go poke around in his bedroom, which was of course packed with cool stuff to a 12 year old. he had a lot of echo and the bunnymen type stuff which i was clueless on, and he had a full doors LP collection - every album and greatest hits and the poetry snoozer etc. i REALLY wanted them, i started obsessing over it, how could i get them, etc. I decided to take them but pay him what i could (without asking him haha). I left him a note with all the $ i had ($15), explaining i took them and if he wanted them back, or if he wanted more $ to let me know. i never heard from him!

• ennuiennui 111 Posts
    I was in Paris last week and his grave at Cemeterie Pere Lachaise was still tagged up and adorned with love notes and momentos. There were three distinct groups of traveling teens drinking wine from the bottle and trying to look cool in the near vicinity. So, I'd say yes, the legend is alive, but not in the circles that we travel in, perhaps.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Why is he so legendary.
    As has been pointed out, Hendrix was the best and will not be topped.

What is the deal with Jim Morrison.

Pro:
    They had a load of hits.
    Dead Poet.
    I suppose he is sexy to some, since shirtless posters abound.
    Drugs.

Con:
    They quit writing melodies after the 3rd record or so and became a pedestrian blues rock band with an overemotional singer.
    If he had lived....

I guess I can see why people identify.
    But he was far from the best poet or singer and the Doors were far from the best band.