Shook Ones Sample Source

13»

Comments

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,459 Posts
    well not quite...but pretty damn close...lol

i am just glad that she understands what the hell i am talking about half the time....so she gets where i am coming from..

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    amazing how that could have been any dude coming up with that little part on any piano and recording it. but the beauty of sampling is how you cant hear the part you want/need in your track... till you hear it on a record.

• mannybolone said:
    Question: what's the difference between a subtone and octave?

An octave is a space between two musical notes of 12 half steps. If you're playing a C note (no Ben Franklin), you can play another C note exactly 12 half steps higher or lower and that note would be either one octave higher or lower than your first note. 24 half steps would be 2 octaves, etc.

Let's say you're playing a C note somewhere around the middle of the keyboard. A subtone would be a C note played several octaves lower. Could be 1 octave, could be 3... suppose just as long as it's substantially lower than the first note.

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

OK... I saw a link to this from Emynd :racist: 's blog the other day, listened to it several times and just didn't believe it. The next day I listened a few more times and finally realized that this is it. My question is ... how in the FUCK did this kid sit around listening to that Herbie song and just say "Oh yeah, duh, that's Shook Ones." ?!?!?

Either way, this is a crazy discovery. Hats off. Also, thanks to Hawkeye for making the tutorial!

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Question: what's the difference between a subtone and octave?

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    TheeeCasualMale said:
    My question is ... how in the FUCK did this kid sit around listening to that Herbie song and just say "Oh yeah, duh, that's Shook Ones." ?!?!?

do you make beats?

cause sometimes you just end up going w/ the first decent idea you have, just to get the ball rolling... and sometimes you find that it works out.. i have made plenty of beats just off whatever records i had bought that day,,,

the Blue Flowers sample is sorta the same thing.... IIRC, it's from a long Bartok piece and the sample melody goes by in like 3 seconds and never repeats... so, same thing, where Automator just heard that shit fly by and grabbed it...

• HawkeyeHawkeye 896 Posts

• HawkeyeHawkeye 896 Posts
    How could Bronco from the-breaks.com forum identify the sample source ??
    The only logical answer is pitched the sample up.

When you pitch sounds up or down in a extrem way, you normaly can hear it. Think of your voice. Pitched up you sound like a Smurf, pitch down and you sound like Chewbaca. The reason for that are the formants.

Check here:
    Formants

The same happens to every other sound. The piano from Shook Ones sounded pitched down. So you pitch the sample up till it sounds normal again.

Listen to this:
    How to identifiy the sample.mp3 - 0.60MB

But there are still so many samples not found for a longer time than Shook Ones Pt.2

Please tell me whats the source for the piano playing on top of the KATG Summer Madness e-piano ?? And no, the source mentioned on whosampled.com is not the right source.

Till this day I only could find one source for this song. The rest is a mistery. The scream ?? The wah wah guitars ?
    And the trumpet like sounds ? They are pitched too. I pitched them up and they remind of a jazz guitar sound. But it could be something diffrent too.

The drums for "Flava in ya ear" seem to be from this classic.

And till this day no one came up with the original source for these drums. I know we had the discussion about this being Cold Sweat and so on, but I'm not convinced yet.

Peace
    Hawkeye

• RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts

Where is the sample? You need to hear the samples source unedited to really judge.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    uhhhhh...whats going on in here?

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    Hawkeye said:

And till this day no one came up with the original source for these drums. I know we had the discussion about this being Cold Sweat and so on, but I'm not convinced yet.

Peace
    Hawkeye

I always thought these were the drums from the Passport "Hand Made" album, maybe not.

• jammyjammy remixing bongo rock... 813 Posts
    Breez said:
    Hawkeye said:

Peace
    Hawkeye

I always thought these were the drums from the Passport "Hand Made" album, maybe not.

isn't this the wayne cochrane break?

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    tripledouble said:
    whoaaaa! i just got back from a weekend of camping....the world will never be the same!!!!

just playing, but this is awesome

dope video, and being able to hear the OG sample fuse into shookones..so dope! i only wished it went for a few more minutes.

this video & "track" apparently developped a career on its own.  

Jazzy Jeff dropping it - but there are many more.

Here´s a dedicated reaction video by Hawkeye (in German) - including references to soulstrut and this thread!

ketanDuderonomyJimsterdizzybullYemskydj_cityboy

• Very interesting to hear the whole story behind (in German)

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    jazzy jeff is too good 
    Duderonomy

• roistoroisto 879 Posts
    What's the main sample on this?

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    Mjukis said:
    hertzhog said:
    Mjukis said:
    None of the recreations get the pitch right, but it sure sounds like the correct sample!

I slowed it down by 9 semitones, played it on top of the instrumental and it sounded close enough to me. Besides, I don't think Havoc would have been too concerned with pitch-perfect tuning at that point.
    Yeah, it's a spur-of-the-moment-beat, probably. Pretty hard to recreate it exactly.

I bet he wasn't using software. Probably just slowed down his technics until it sounded good - semitones be damned.

• dizzybulldizzybull Eerie Dicks 328 Posts
    piedpiper said:
    tripledouble said:
    whoaaaa! i just got back from a weekend of camping....the world will never be the same!!!!

just playing, but this is awesome

dope video, and being able to hear the OG sample fuse into shookones..so dope! i only wished it went for a few more minutes.

this video & "track" apparently developped a career on its own.  

Jazzy Jeff dropping it - but there are many more.

Here´s a dedicated reaction video by Hawkeye (in German) - including references to soulstrut and this thread!

Huh. I always pictured Hawkeye looking like an actual hawk for some reason. 

• YemskyYemsky 707 Posts
    ketan said:
    jazzy jeff is too good 

He is. But you realise that he is simply playing Hawkeye’s Soulstrut audio clip which somebody else had ripped to YT?

https://youtu.be/R-QS4CTtltg

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    It's all so meta!

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    Yemsky said:
    ketan said:
    jazzy jeff is too good 

He is. But you realise that he is simply playing Hawkeye’s Soulstrut audio clip which somebody else had ripped to YT?

https://youtu.be/R-QS4CTtltg

Or Premier doing exactly the same thing

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    to make things even more meta, the whole sample flip made it onto this 45 
    https://www.discogs.com/Nick-Bike-Chosen-Spokes-Vol-4/release/8587075
    Yemsky

• ha ha ha man that Jazzy Jeff "Do Over" is insane, it seems funny to me that QuestLove even seems to be blown away? i dunno maybe i am assuming to much here but i would think he would/should know about this...(anyone know what year that "do over" was??) and then Premier doing the exact same thing as Jeff basically (fuck Premier is so "yelly-yelly" on the mic) and then realizing BOTH of them are playing the SoulStrut clip...what a ride, lol and the 45 to top it all off.

• YemskyYemsky 707 Posts
    ha ha ha man that Jazzy Jeff "Do Over" is insane, it seems funny to me that QuestLove even seems to be blown away? i dunno maybe i am assuming to much here but i would think he would/should know about this...(anyone know what year that "do over" was??) and then Premier doing the exact same thing as Jeff basically (fuck Premier is so "yelly-yelly" on the mic) and then realizing BOTH of them are playing the SoulStrut clip...what a ride, lol and the 45 to top it all off.

So, the time line: 

Havoc produces the beat sometime in or before 1994. He actually wants to discard it but Prodigy decides to rhyme on it, they like it and it gets included in their "Infamous" album that year. Promo copies of the track appear the same year but a commercial 12" isn't released unti 95. 

The track becomes hot and the beat gets used in many cyphers, further promoted in 2002 by its inclusion in the "8 Mile" movie 

Approx 16 years of trying to identify the source go by until in March 2011 "Haze25" posts on SS pointing out that "Bronco" (German digger Timon Heinke) claims on TheBreaks.com that he has figured out that "Jessica" by Herbie Hancock is the Sample to Shook One. 

The SS Massive remains sceptical until a few days later Hawkeye (German journalist Falk Schacht) posts the "proof" by taking the original sample and manipulating it sufficiently to match what is on the Mobb Deep track. A few days later he further clarifies that there are two versions of Jessica, a live one from 1977 (VSOP) and the original on Fat Albert Rotunda from 1969, which he says was used. 

Almost immediately (on Mar 21, 2011) Youtube user Hulu Dodd takes the audio of Hawkeye's "recreation" and postys it to YT: 

This story is picked up by Music and MSM as you can see via a simple google search; the LA Times publishes the story on April 5th, written up by Soulstrut's prolific O-Dub (Oliver Wang): https://latimesblogs.latimes.com/music_blog/2011/04/mystery-solved-bronco-solves-mobb-deep-sampling-mystery-thats-remained-hidden-since-95.html

Knowledge spreads fast and Jeff plays it at the Do Over June 12th 2011 That gig gets posted on YT 18th June 2011 by YT user "azul213": Jun 18, 2011   who correctly credits both Bronco and Hawkeye in the comments

While Falk Schacht (Hawkeye) is using his recreation in public talks and lectures about sampling he apparently is unaware of it having spread to be used by Jeff (2011) or Premier (2015). Seemingly years go by until somebody tells him about the Jazzy Jeff clip. When Falk retells the story in the video originally loaded to YT May 6, 2020 for the German Backspin channel: he does not date this revelation of Jazzy Jeff J DJing with his clip any further.

However, on Jan 15 2019 DJ Suge randomly tweets the clip from 2011 and tags Jeff:

Jeff retweets this on Jan 17 2019 reminiscing about his gig almost eight years earlier:

And on Jan 18th 2019 Falk retweets JJ's post, pointing out Queslove's reaction  

I wouldn't be surprised if Hawkeye and Questlove had a chat about this at some stage before this as Falk had interviewed him back in the early two thousands 

and is well connected - see his interview for Backspin with Havoc himself on Instagram (which I can't retrieve). Questlove has a bit of a reputation for giving credit where credit is due and I am sure he retrieved where that clip came from.

If you watch the Jazzy Jeff clip from June 12th 2011 you see Questlove reaching for his Blackberry, I would love to know who he sent a message to. His (current) Twitter account https://twitter.com/qls does not have a post from that day ;-)

DuderonomyJimsterpiedpiperbillbradleycove

• Proper writeup, Yemsky. I remember reading interviews with producers and such, maybe even in the early Wax Poetics issues, where guys speculated on what it could be. Come to think of it it might've been Kon & Amir I'm thinking of, another SS connection. I remember somebody saying "whatever it is, that ain't no funk". I can't tell if it's strange that it took so long, or strange that anybody EVER figured it out, considering how it's chopped - the way the second phrase interrupts the first sounds so natural and cool it must've mislead most people from thinking it's just a couple regular 3-note arpeggios, just timed weirdly. Sample nerd history here.
    DuderonomyJimster