The Singularity is Near

jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
edited March 2011 in Strut Central
Anyone else read this? Mind blowing shit. So far most everything Ray has predicted has come true.

If you could (safely/affordably) get a chip put in your head to make you think faster or have more memory would you do it?

If you up-load your entire life experience into a clone is it still "you"?

Comments

• Options
    jjfad027 said:
    If you could (safely/affordably) get a chip put in your head to make you think faster or have more memory would you do it?

In a heartbeat. Just remember to put flowers on Algernon's grave.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    ^ Naturaly

• dwyhajlodwyhajlo 420 Posts
    There are upper limits, physically, to the improvements that can still be made in computers. I'm definitely not an expert, though. I remain extremely skeptical.

dwyhajlo said:
    There are upper limits, physically, to the improvements that can still be made in computers. I'm definitely not an expert, though. I remain extremely skeptical.

People have been saying stuff like that since the dawn of technology. There all always walls, and we always find a way around.

• dwyhajlodwyhajlo 420 Posts
    jjfad027 said:
    dwyhajlo said:

People have been saying stuff like that since the dawn of technology. There all always walls, and we always find a way around.

Yeah, but we've never been in a situation before where it was literally physically impossible to do something. For example, circuits can only become so dense (just like you can only travel up to a certain speed, etc.) which may be a major hindrance, IIRC, to singularity projections.

There will always be naysayers and hindrances, but transistors will get left behind eventually just like vaccuums tubes did. Between quantum-computing, nanochips, and dna-computing, something will work. The way computers are today will seem like horse and buggy shit 25 years from now.

The only major hindrances that could stop this would be really major. Like a nuke war, super disese, aliens, or meteors. Not that those are unlikely, but it would take a serious global catastrophe to halt technology.