Shook Ones Sample Source

Comments

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    hertzhog said:
    Mjukis said:
    None of the recreations get the pitch right, but it sure sounds like the correct sample!

I slowed it down by 9 semitones, played it on top of the instrumental and it sounded close enough to me. Besides, I don't think Havoc would have been too concerned with pitch-perfect tuning at that point.
    Yeah, it's a spur-of-the-moment-beat, probably. Pretty hard to recreate it exactly.

Wasn't Black Helicopters some chinese or thai record? Doesn't really narrow it down, I know, but I thought people knew that one.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Yeah, can't remember dudes name but I found out earlier that it's up on WhoSampled.com.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    "VSOP" was one of my first "finds".

• waxjunky said:
    "VSOP" was one of my first "finds".

Hope you didn't "find" it in my crates. What happened to mines. anger.

Herm said:
    Uncover this one next please:

It's here, but unfortunately the sample source video is down.

http://www.whosampled.com/sample/view/60228/Non Phixion-Black Helicopters_Eisaku Ohkawa-Yu No Machi Elegy/

• HawkeyeHawkeye 896 Posts
    It is the right sample source. But Havoc only used one sample out of that piano, not two. As far as I understood it right, the guys at the-breaks.com said he used the beginning sounds and one part which begins 4 seconds after the start.

I think he only used the part which starts after 4 seconds. If you listen closely to Shook Ones Pts.2, you will hear a crackle/static noise, always starting on the 1 of every bar. This noise sounds pitched too. He had a crackle/static on the 1 of the sample which was pitched too as he pichted the sample.

The first bar of Shock Ones Pt.2 is pitched minus 14 semitones and the second is the same sample pitched minus 9 semitone.

I did a tutorial on that sample which you can listen to here.

I tweeked the EQ on that piano too so that you can hear that it is the original sample source.

Hawkeyes - Mobb Deep - Shook Ones Pt 2 Sample Tutorial.mp3 - 1.63MB

Peace
    Hawkeye

Deleted

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    good job hawkeye. i was having trouble hearing it.

• jaymack said:
    good job hawkeye. i was having trouble hearing it.

Agreed this answered it...I also had a hard time hearing it till this.

Hawkeye said:
    It is the right sample source. But Havoc only used one sample out of that piano, not two. As far as I understood it right, the guys at the-breaks.com said he used the beginning sounds and one part which begins 4 seconds after the start.

I think he only used the part which starts after 4 seconds. If you listen closely to Shook Ones Pts.2, you will hear a crackle/static noise, always starting on the 1 of every bar. This noise sounds pitched too. He had a crackle/static on the 1 of the sample which was pitched too as he pichted the sample.

The first bar of Shock Ones Pt.2 is pitched minus 14 semitones and the second is the same sample pitched minus 9 semitone.

I tweeked the EQ on that piano too so that you can hear that it is the original sample source.

Peace
    Hawkeye

I admire you for this, Hawkeye! Hip Hop nerdery at its' best!

• SpacechoSpacecho 176 Posts
    I love this stuff. Great thread!
    Anyone know which sampler havoc used on the infamous? I think I remember reading it was an mpc3000 somewhere.

• pretty sure havoc was (is?) an asr-10 dude...i think i heard that somewhere.

he sure did freak the sh*t out of that fairly boring piano riff.

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    Hawkeye said:

Peace
    Hawkeye

that was one very thorough reply, well done!

Now I understand the problems the user Bronco had over at the-breaks.com. There are two existing versions of "Jessica".

One version is on this album 1969:

And the other version is on this album 1975:

The VSOP Version is a live recording of "Jessica". If you compare both versions you will hear that Herbie Hancock flipped the chords on those versions.

In 1975 he started the tune with the 5 notes which can be flipped into Shook Ones Pt.2.

But in 1969 he played those 5 tones 4 seconds after the start of the tune.

Now here is my problem with the VSOP sample and why I think Havoc sampled the "Fat Albert Rotunda" Jessica Version instead of the VSOP Version. VSOP was recorded live. As in many live recordings you hear the audience. Beacuse of Herbie Hancock starting the tune with those 5 tones used for Shook Ones Pt.2 on the live version, you still hear some fans screaming.

Even after the EQing I did, you still can hear those fans. But I cant hear those fans in Shook Ones Pt.2.
    Thats why I would say the sample was taken from "Jessica" from the "Fat Albert Rotunda" album by Herbie Hancock.

Check here what I mean:
    Shook Ones Pt 2 WRONG VSOP Live Version.mp3 - 0.62MB

And than compare it to the Fat Albert Rotunda version I used for this audio yesterday:
    Shook Ones Pt 2 RIGHT Fat Albert Rotunda Version.mp3 - 1.63MB

Peace
    Hawkeye

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    Brilliant. Hawkeye changed my life!

It's funny, because I thought the third note was pitched down in the og beat at first - but now I hear that the kickdrum sort of muffles some of the overtones (not really technical about this stuff) - either that or it's a basstone that gives it another ring to the melody. But with that tutorial, I don't think anyone can deny it's the right one.

Hiphop nerdery at its finest indeed! BTW, I've also heard Havoc used the ASR-10 for the Infamous.

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    Mjukis said:
    Brilliant. Hawkeye changed my life!

FUCK !!!!!!!!!!!!

this guy needs a tip jar!

And I'm so hammered on folgers right now!!!!!! Ahhh! And this made my day!!!! ahhhhh OMG

No really, cool shit. And I really am wasted.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    whoaaaa! i just got back from a weekend of camping....the world will never be the same!!!!

just playing, but this is awesome

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    Whatever the case, I'm sure Havoc was laughing his ass off that it took so long to figure it out.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Terrific work, Hawkeye--thanks muchly for this!

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,459 Posts
    tripledouble said:
    whoaaaa! i just got back from a weekend of camping....the world will never be the same!!!!

dope video, and being able to hear the OG sample fuse into shookones..so dope! i only wished it went for a few more minutes.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    this is just stellar and what the interwebz is all about
    i find the simplicity of the source makes it more ill than the nas is like and represent sample reveals
    however how fitting would that VSOP record have been had it been true
    hennessy campaign in the makings

• This why weed and alcohol is good for rap. I don't see how a sober person would ever hear that.

• Dirty Inc.

Anybody has the ball to tweet him?

talk about a shook one.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Diggin said:
    Hancock, Herbie
    V.S.O.P Quintet(1977)
    * "Jessica"
    Moob Deep - Shook Ones Part 2 (piano)

http://the-breaks.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=54558
    http://www.zshare.net/audio/87910102b9af93b2/
    ha unbelievable ... i own this record & have heard it a bunch of times
    havent heard the older version tho

• wyzewayzwyzewayz 303 Posts
    tripledouble said:

basically i've just been listening to this over and over, for a good half hour now-----great job hawkeye

• RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts
    dj_cityboy said:
    FunkyFlatulent said:

It's also funny how people have Uber raer crates but nobody knew Ice Cream and Shook Ones , and they end up being from an Earl Klugh and Herbie Hancock records..

^^ this is what more or less surprises me...it seems odd that it took all this time for someone to stumble across it especially given that Herbie has been sampled many times...and its not a rare or expensive record either..

This was hot on ebay during the early 2000's too... hard to believe it escaped notice for so long and is so obvious, at least per the clips.

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,459 Posts
    ^^ yeah man, i am still confused over the whole thing to be honest, even my girlfriend is confused that it took someone so long, but its not even the fact that it took so long to find, its how obvious the sample was and the fact that it was a Herbie joint at that and that a lot of people here probably have that record sitting in crates...but i would imagine only by some fluke that one would stumble on this, listening to the Jessica track as is, no one would pick it out i wouldnt think....id be mega curious how this "bronco" cat stumbled on this...i just figured that by now tuns of dudes would have scoured Herbies catalog and been through it all...but given how Havoc flipped it, i believe it is less obvious then i think it should be..

wyzewayz said:
    basically i've just been listening to this over and over, for a good half hour now-----great job hawkeye

yeah i have basically been doing the same...basking in its dopeness

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    I'm picturing dj cityboy and his girlfriend sitting at the dinner table with "jessica" on repeat, just so confused about the whole thing that they cant eat

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    Herm said:

I admire you for this, Hawkeye! Hip Hop nerdery at its' best!

!!! COSINE

• jammyjammy remixing bongo rock... 813 Posts
    jaymack said:
    I'm picturing dj cityboy and his girlfriend sitting at the dinner table with "jessica" on repeat, just so confused about the whole thing that they cant eat