Should This Disco be Released?

HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
edited March 2011 in Strut Central
Below is a sound clip of an unreleased disco 12" acetate by a group called The Stages Of Evolution (the same group behind my mystery Funk 45 thread that burned up these forums). At least I'm 99% sure it was unreleased, I asked a few disco experts and nobody had heard of it and Google turns up zero.

I could easily license it and press up 500 12"s - should I bother? I ask Disco-Strutter Council Of Elders for their wisdom.

In a somewhat Cosmic Disco vein, I think, especially the second tune:

http://www.academylps.com/acadlabel/Unknown_disco.html

Thanks!

Comments

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Having listened to it, I'd say no. The ending portion of the 2nd one was cool, but neither tune really dropped my jaw. I'd say if you were gonna reissue the 45, perhaps do the same for this too, but that's about it. Even the break on the first song was kinda forced and eh. I too would like to hear others' opinions to see if my ear is to da disco skreetz.

• Sorry, but they doesn't do it for me. Good post though!

An edit of the second track could be alright but it's mainly the instrumental parts that do work. The vocal is a bit too standard

• the first sounds cool but, like the-non said, its nothing mind-blowing. Maybe even a bit tepid? The most I would do would be to include it in a mix/comp, but I don't think its good enough to justify a reissue.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    They're both nice, if a little generic. I could imagine this selling for dough if it was a rare 12" on a small indie or something, but I'm not sure what the market wants out of reissue 12"s.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Just curious......what is the re-issue market like for a top notch Disco 12"

Something like Gloria Ann Taylor or similar....

Is it 500.....1,000......5,000????

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    They're both nice, if a little generic. I could imagine this selling for dough if it was a rare 12" on a small indie or something, but I'm not sure what the market wants out of reissue 12"s.

JP, you need to repress that Born to Disco / Atomic Funk you posted in the rip thread.

Horseleech, these two tracks are good wholesome disco funk but nothing to write home about.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    Just curious......what is the re-issue market like for a top notch Disco 12"

Something like Gloria Ann Taylor or similar....

Is it 500.....1,000......5,000????

I would be wary of doing more than 500.

And thanks to everyone for your feedback!

This pretty much confirms my suspicions, but I'm not a disco connoisseur. I was just excited to hear an acetate that didn't suck, and the group is somewhat interesting as they clearly tried to integrate a 'conceptual' element into their music - a sort of Dashiki Disco.

It will probably remain a lone acetate unless Disco really makes a comeback.

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    Press 500, burn 400 of them in "mysterious fire", publicize "mysterious fire", put the remainder on ebay / use as trades / sell in person. :balla:

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I likey actually. It reminds me of that Brooklyn Funky Steez. B.T. Express and Crown Heights Affair.

• coolchriscoolchris 301 Posts
    I thought both tracks were good actually. "Sunshine" was excellent and I dug the extended timbale break. I think you could move 500. Do it.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Both are decent - "You Know How" is probably the better overall cut, but the vocals on "Sunshine" were the best thing about either...

• BeatnicholasBeatnicholas 1,005 Posts
    nice stuff, i think you could sell 300 - 500 of these, particularly with a little edit to tighten them up a bit (maybe a break extension). disco edits always seem to move whatever the weather.

• djOdDiodjOdDio 11 Posts
    I like Sunshine quite a bit. I'd buy it.

• i dig it.
    if you could throw some hype into it you'd be able to move the. i'm sure people would dance to it.
    some editing could be helpful.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Just when I had my mind made up...

THANKS SOUL STRUT

;-)

It's funny, but this mirrors my real life inquiries - the first round of responses was tepid and the follow up was enthusiastic.

Now I'm back to where I started..

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    I dont think there is a point in reissuing a single unless its an absolute monster or dancefloor banger. Neither side of this is such. I say spend your money/time elsewhere

• bboyparkzbboyparkz 549 Posts
    I like 'You Know How to Use Me', the other track is also ok.
    Neither track is amazing to be honest but 'You Know How to Use Me' is strong enough to warrant a 12" release I would say, and thats speaking as someone who buys this kind of stuff.

As mentioned already a bit of re-editing might make the tracks a bit stronger.

If you can afford to do a small run/standard price 12" I'd say go for it. I doubt there will be much profit to be made out of a small run, I guess it would be a labour of love thing, but if you are not a major disco head or are not really sentimentally attached to the the tracks then a labour of love might not be what your looking for.

You could ask for opinions over on DJhistorty if you are a member over there as some of your potential market place would be the forum members.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I'm with Mr. Ogre on this one. Reserve reissues for shit the world NEEDS to hear.