Best Synth for Hip Hop Basslines?

TheKindCromangTheKindCromang 1,463 Posts
edited March 2011 in Strut Central
Looking to get a small synthesizer to record basslines for beats. Any recommendations?

Comments

• izat a mini moog?

• aye
    rev. d if possible

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts

plus you can use it as a midi for whatever instrument plug ins you might have

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,459 Posts
    i use whatever i can for basslines, i could care less if its a Casio SK1 or some Yamaha keyboard from Toys R Us, some effects and distortion can make anything sound dope add some filtering and your good to go!

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    dj_cityboy said:
    i use whatever i can for basslines, i could care less if its a Casio SK1 or some Yamaha keyboard from Toys R Us, some effects and distortion can make anything sound dope add some filtering and your good to go!

Youre not going to get a lot of bass mileage out of an sk-1. you're WAY better off getting a nice deep tone going in (pause). the less you have to do to youre original sound, the better.

this is the shit though:

• 4YearGraduate said:
    Possum Tom said:

plus you can use it as a midi for whatever instrument plug ins you might have
    cosigns on both these. been wanting to get a minimoog, but that shit is costly. If you're on a budget go with the juno-106.
    Also, If you like dilla basslines, these two are all you need.

• Anything with a couple of oscillators works.

• jammyjammy remixing bongo rock... 813 Posts
    i rock this combo...

preamping and crunching it up a bit works wonders

• Possum Tom said:
    dj_cityboy said:

Youre not going to get a lot of bass mileage out of an sk-1. you're WAY better off getting a nice deep tone going in (pause). the less you have to do to youre original sound, the better.

this is the shit though:

gotta check that out

• bobbydeebobbydee 849 Posts
    jammy said:

I'm assuming this is a preamp but i'm not familiar. Care to shed a little light?
    I use the microkorg too, and a rhodes mkII for most of my basslines and just distort a little once in the box.

• universal audio 610. nice preamp, but no digital out so conversion would be done on whatever interface you have connected to your computer (assuming you use a computer to record)

id take out the digital microkorg and replace it with a moog little phatty, or dave smith mopho keyboard.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    jammy said:

yeah its a preamp. so nice for vocals too

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    speakmumbles said:
    dave smith mopho keyboard.

I've been looking at the module version of this which might be a good choice if you already have a MIDI keyboard controller:

• while the desktops modules are cool and compact, having to use menus or use a vst interface to access all the parameters would be a bitch

if you got the mopho keyboard youd have it all laid out for easy tweaking right in front of you. same with the phatty