Hardcore Punx

marwal_bustmarwal_bust 195 Posts
edited March 2011 in Strut Central
Is there anyone here that after years of not listenin' still know ALL the lyrics to these [edit: OK there are those that ride! Somewhat...]

Comments

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    what are you talking about, I've never even heard of these bands, who listens to this stuff?

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Not really great slices of hardcore punk(x) imho, but Embrace had their moments and I've been to 7 Seconds shows. The rest, not to my taste.
    A LOT of people listen to this stuff!

• dwyhajlodwyhajlo 420 Posts
    bassie said:
    Not really great slices of hardcore punk(x) imho, but Embrace had their moments and I've been to 7 Seconds shows. The rest, not to my taste.

At least it's not Earth Crisis or Vegan Reich?

I didn't listen to a lot of this youth crew/straight edge stuff or whatever, but I did listen to a lot of hardcore. I was more into the "louder, faster" type of stuff - the Killed By Hardcore bootleg compilations were in pretty much constant rotation for me all throughout high school. Now, I find most of it almost unlistenable, and think much of it sounds pretty much the same. This is depressing - I'm turning into my dad.
    Anyway, hardcore was the soundtrack for most of my youth. While I can't really ride for it on any rational level, I still remember tons of it and get a little wistful every once in a while.

Trying to track down original copies of records by bands like The State, The Execute, Mecht Mensch, etc. was what really got me started with records. Basically, hardcore ruined my life!

Can't tell you how much I listened to this song, never understanding a word of it:

• Don't know much about punk...just started to listen to this doc on BBC 6 and thought some might enjoy it as well.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/i/z2pmd/

"Punk Rock USA Record producer Craig Leon tells the story of American punk rock - from the 60s garage bands of the Pacific North West through to the Stooges, the New York punk scene and beyond."

• grew up on pretty balanced sides of hardcorepunk and hiphop since 1989 but all my friends were hardcore kids organising gigs etc. i was a huge earth crisis and morning again fan back in the day cuz they were one of the first next to the legendary cro mags and some others that used metal riffs in their hardcore and that always rocked my boat. 7seconds was always more of a pop punk group here than anything else but they sure have a respected place in the scene.

nowadays i only listen to xAFBx, and japanese crustpunk and hardcore stuff which seems like a logical evolution back to the earliest days of gritty lo-fi hardcore.

• and i still listen to some of the killed by hardcore comps. excellent stuff on there...

• Options
    It's funny to see 7 Seconds here.

Let's just say that back then they were not highly regarded.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    bassie said:

that's kinda what i was gonna say...

i love hardcore, but am not a big fan of any of those bands...

was very happy to check these off the checklist last week at a store in philly... all minty clean OG pressings...

• While I can't really ride for it on any rational level, I still remember tons of it and get a little wistful every once in a while.

Seriously! Same for me and I just got on a kick...this happens to me every 4 years and lasts for about a month (about 15 days remaining). It just is not the same for me at this age.

Not really great slices of hardcore punk(x) imho

This and the co-sign are kinda surprising for me...hate for 7 Seconds (pre Soul Force ish), wow. Growing up in the early-mid '90s (as I assume most people here did) youth crew, mostly east cost, NYC, DC, NJ 'was' hardcore. Above, I just picked some favorites, but honestly the Revelation Records tri-fold catalog was kinda my god. I even have a hard time thinking of hardcore that was not this sound. The worst was the post 1997 or so youth crew revival sound with 900000000 bands with the same generic sound, collegiate font looking jumping in the air on stage photo t-shirts. And it relly all fell apart when it got to that more metal-y Victory Records sound into NU-Metal...NYC '80/'90 shit > than that 'hardcore'.

In closing more shocking then not feeling 7 Seconds...

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    I still love hardcore, I even still play in a hardcore band at 40+ years old. I grew up on all the classic 80's stuff (dissing early 7 Seconds is bonkers to me), but the more modern chugga chugaa kickboxing moshpit stuff misses me entirely. There are some great current bands out there if you look around a little bit, no need to keep listening to the same 10 LP's you've had since you were 17.