CRAP RAP bandwagoneering flash in the pan HYPES we could have done without - for real.

staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
edited March 2011 in Strut Central
In recent memory many nincumpoop mindless rap sub genres and acts have been heralded as worthy additions to the annals of hip hop - can we start announcing which ones should have stayed off the bloody radar in the first place?

- Ill start by naming utterly worthless acts and rappeurs whose careers went from hyped up bandwagons of choice to jump on to the totally forgettable trash can filler status they currently occupy within the rap spectrum (as in - no classics that are must have additions to serious connoiseur rap crates) - they are the Whistle just buggings, the Kid and Plays and the WHOOMP there it is of the present and future - lets go

Lil Wayne - that fucking rock album he dropped? A Drake Collab album? srsly. got nothing on ice t's body count which was half assed to begin with - what classic wayne cuts will be the must have collectros of future rap crates? chirp city.

Drake - go - away

Nicky Minaj - went from what the fuck is up with the punnany implants to horrid bep muzak collabs at breakneck speed

Eminem - "??ts all over, between you and me" - strictly for the frat boys and their suicidal emo goth younger brothers - this shit gets no play in clubs and if youre still jamming his angst ridden mosquito flow raps - get a clue, you are one step away from being a juggalo.

D12 etc etc - never that.

Crunk music et al. - What??? embarassing. (lil Jon, Dem Franchize Boys, Soulja Boy - the list of your musical accomplishments are as short as Krs 1s part in whos the man - already seems to be novelty music from a bygone era)

The Ying Yang twins - who?

50 Cent, The Game, G Unit - wack clothing and dumb websites are all that remain. They were all shit rappers - youll get drinks thrown at you for dropping this shit in clubs. In Da Club is pre skool disco fodder by now.

DMX- bark rapping? no thx

Wakka Flakka - time for a muppet show movie cameo

EVE

Lauryn Hill

ehh im running out of time - im sure there s a million other musical shit stains that got smoke blown up their ass unjustifiably - gotta go plz add on.

Comments

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    tl/dr

Assume it can be shortened to anything that doesn't sound like Premo. Or Madlib.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    Jah Rule safe, then.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    staxwax said:
    In recent memory many nincumpoop mindless rap sub genres and acts have been heralded as worthy additions to the annals of hip hop - can we start announcing which ones should have stayed off the bloody radar in the first place?

- Ill start by naming utterly worthless acts and rappeurs whose careers went from hyped up bandwagons of choice to jump on to the totally forgettable trash can filler status they currently occupy within the rap spectrum (as in - no classics that are must have additions to serious connoiseur rap crates) - they are the Whistle just buggings, the Kid and Plays and the WHOOMP there it is of the present and future - lets go

Lil Wayne - that fucking rock album he dropped? A Drake Collab album? srsly. got nothing on ice t's body count which was half assed to begin with - what classic wayne cuts will be the must have collectros of future rap crates? chirp city.

Drake - go - away

Nicky Minaj - went from what the fuck is up with the punnany implants to horrid bep muzak collabs at breakneck speed

Eminem - "??ts all over, between you and me" - strictly for the frat boys and their suicidal emo goth younger brothers - this shit gets no play in clubs and if youre still jamming his angst ridden mosquito flow raps - get a clue, you are one step away from being a juggalo.

D12 etc etc - never that.

Crunk music et al. - What??? embarassing. (lil Jon, Dem Franchize Boys, Soulja Boy - the list of your musical accomplishments are as short as Krs 1s part in whos the man - already seems to be novelty music from a bygone era)

The Ying Yang twins - who?

50 Cent, The Game, G Unit - wack clothing and dumb websites are all that remain. They were all shit rappers - youll get drinks thrown at you for dropping this shit in clubs. In Da Club is pre skool disco fodder by now.

DMX- bark rapping? no thx

Wakka Flakka - time for a muppet show movie cameo

EVE

Lauryn Hill

ehh im running out of time - im sure there s a million other musical shit stains that got smoke blown up their ass unjustifiably - gotta go plz add on.

You dont what the fuck your talkin about.

• spivyspivy 866 Posts

You dont what the fuck your talkin about.
    thank you!

Lil Wayne - Im no fan but he was w/ the Hot Boys and had solo joints way before he was gettin courtside seats in Miami. He more than just a flash in the pan. I dont like him, but to say he didnt contribute or is on some Rappin Duke shit is wack.

Drake - I dont judge him as some serious MC, dude is a hybrid. He shouldnt even be in this discussion.

Nicky Minaj - She's too new and active to have some hindsight critique.

Eminem - Dude has Classics, despite his fanbase. That muthafucka can rhyme, despite his conceptual narrowess.

D12 - not worth serious discourse. They werent overhyped. Everyone knew it was EM's people. I have a buddy that likes one of their albums alot. Whateves.

Crunk Music - had a big impact, w/ plenty of bangers left in its wake. U had R&B cats using those rhythms.

The Ying Yang twins - who? - Ill agree, but they werent touted as the next big thing in the first place.
    No need for serious discourse.

50 Cent, The Game, G Unit - Overhyped yeah, but 50 Cent was already a legend before Suburbia got to him. The Game - whatever. G-Unit has joints (overall not a fan).

DMX - Uhhh....dude can rhyme and had NYC on Blast for a good 5 years.

Wakka Flakka - Im too old for his shit. Whateves. Ill give u him, im just underexposed and dont care.

EVE - Has bangers that still play out in the clurb. Maybe not the 20 somethings club, but she's not irrelavant.

Lauryn Hill - I wont count the first Fugees album even if she was on some of the remixes. Their 2nd joint showed she had talent, and her Solo joint doesnt need any new validation.

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    What happened to the thread about artists/bands who we wish had never recorded? Plaese to link it here. I feel that many of the Crap Rap mentions in the initial post belong in that thread instead. It sounds as if you're more annoyed by this music than anything else.

And in defense of Minaj, she really is a very talented vocalist and her delivery is excellent. However, her Barbie-pink image can make it difficult to take her seriously, but at least it gets her attention. I would be more surprised if Young Money/Cash Money released an album by a no-frills female rapper who cited Toni Morrison rather than Weezy as an influence. That would be so not bling bling. And as for punany implants, I think you mean booty implants, bc I'm pretty sure the former will never be approved by the FDA.

As for Eminem, I think he is one of the most annoying rappers out there. Instead of rapping about how there are so many rocks up in his watch he can't tell what the time is, he chooses to be all emo and lament about his broken childhood. Money buys happiness, someone tell him that. As much as he irritates me, I cannot deny the contributions he has made to emo rap and emo at large.

And Drake? If it weren't for Drake, the Top40 station in my metropolis wouldn't play any hip-hop at all. Just think of him as diet rap. Those who are concerned can consume guilt-free. Plus, he's really easy on the eyes. About time we got a new rap Romeo.

Lauren and Eve? Miseducation was a great album, even though she fell off the radar soon after. Eve was able to maintain a street credible image while dressing nice. I mean, those paw tattoos are questionable, but she rocks it.

Fuck that I like Kid N Play.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    batmon said:

It's true. Batmon's the only dude I know who still uses the Kid N Play foot five as a greeting.

heehee

• DustedDonDustedDon 830 Posts
    none of these folks mentioned are "flash in the pan" they have all had lengthy careers and contributions except the new ones mentioned (drake, flacka, minaj) and ying yang twins/d-12 who no one gives a f*ck about anyways.

b/w

you sound euroman.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    This thread is way more worthless than any of the artists mentioned

• Options
    I can't hate.

Some people might be able to see through them and discover other music that they like. Also, what is bad to me might be good to someone else...people have different tastes.I guess I would not be here without them, and I can't complain.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    I am so done with & tired of these "let's hate on everyone" threads. All artists mentioned must have done something right if we keep starting threads about them.

• JamalJamal 410 Posts

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    batmon said:

"Gettin' Funky" gets props over here. Quality beat.

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    hah!

good replies.

I guess I need rap anger management.
    I'll prolly go to the grave clutching my show and a rekkids, pining for the boombap apologists day of reckoning.

WHERE DID IT ALL GO WRONG?????

• "gettin funky" is a real rap jam ("last night" is pretty good too), but writing off kid n play as some sort of "crap rap" blip in the raposhere makes sense in the context of the rest of your argument.

you really like rap music?