SF Folls: Furniture Stores?

JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
edited March 2011 in Strut Central
hello.
I am in the market for a new couch. Keeping it pretty basic, more likely fabric over leather. Cost is definitely a factor-- hoping to keep it under $800.

What's your experience locally? I know there's a bunch of furniture places in the Peninsula area and East Bay as well and I'm willing to drive a bit for a good deal. Any recommendations? Thanks.

Comments

• ageage 1,131 Posts
    Depending what style you're into, there is this place called "Past Perfect" on Union St. that is amazing. Their primary focus is Mid-Century Modern design and whatnot. I tend to go there everytime I'm visiting. (A guilty pleasure I suppose) You might luck out and find something for a decent price. They know what they have and there's a price, but you can walk away with a nice couch for around the value you have up(everytime I've been in their they've had some nice furniture for an okay price). My wife and I lucked out and bought a nice Danish style couch there for $750.00 last year and it's been serving us well. Again, they can be pretty pricey, but at least it's an option

There is always IKEA in EPA (about a 20 minute drive south bound 101)

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    cool, that's exactly the type of advice i was searching for. i'm trying to stay clear of ikea though. I did check the one in palo alto, but nothing there was really doing it for me. i also looked (and was surprised by the reasonable prices) at jennifer convertibles in redwood city, but the selection was somewhat limited. thanks!

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    i know this is no help but busvan for bargains was one of the coolest furmiture stores in the franny cuz it was part museum part furniture store. the clement location had some pieces from i think the old sutro baths. plus they stayed true to sf window installations, even tho they were kinda lo budget.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    grandpa_shig said:
    i know this is no help but busvan for bargains was one of the coolest furmiture stores in the franny cuz it was part museum part furniture store. the clement location had some pieces from i think the old sutro baths. plus they stayed true to sf window installations, even tho they were kinda lo budget.

I work near that spot. Someone is still to this day putting up window installations even though it is not open (?).

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    elise said:
    grandpa_shig said:

I work near that spot. Someone is still to this day putting up window installations even though it is not open (?).

yeah that place is gone. shame; it was dope.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    There's an Eq3 opening up in SF soon, but Emeryville isn't that far.
    http://www.eq3.com/cat-eq3/process/locale/en_CA/currency/en_CA/index.html

typical modern furniture though that's better quality than ikea but isn't expensive. i get all my stuff from craigslist and find great pieces of furniture for cheap, but i do look everyday

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    if you really want cheap, you can buy a sofa on overstock.com without tax and freeish shipping. my friend got a cute tufted tweed loveseat for $300. only prob isn't you can't test drive (test sit?) before you purchase so you have to choose wisely, but you can kinda tell from looking at certain sofas if they are not going to be very comfortable (straight back wood frame vs lots of cushioning) so i don't really think it's a huge risk

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    thanks EH. We ended up getting a pretty good deal on a couch. i get to pick it up tomorrow (no more watching tv on kitchen chairs!).
    I'll keep an eye on eq3 for chairs/lamps/etc.-- thanks for the tip. i'll be your competition on CL until I get my hands on a coffee table that I can refinish ;)