Pro Athletes Who Were Musicians & Vice Versa

RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
edited March 2011 in Strut Central
Arthur Lee Maye was a above average baseball player and damn good singer.......the other dude was a decent boxer....add on.....first one to mention Shaq loses.

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Walter McCarthy (now Pacers assistant) just dropped an R&B album on ITUNES.

Waymond Tisdale had some Jazz joints.

• obligatory

kobe had a rap joint too, would never describe him as a musician though

edit: haha didnt read all of rock's post, I lose...

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    SMH @ Shaq

Last 30 game winning pitcher in MLB.....

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    Lee Dorsey was a boxer.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Herb Bernstein was a producer and arranger and also put out the braek heavy "Herb Bernstein's New Crusade" LP...he played in the NBA, for the Bucks I believe

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    More obligatory:

Bonus pun caption:

Master P believes there's no limit to what he can do, especially on a hoops court

Make 'em say...

The_Hook_Up said:
    Herb Bernstein was a producer and arranger and also put out the braek heavy "Herb Bernstein's New Crusade" LP...he played in the NBA, for the Bucks I believe

Very cool....is that LP on Metromedia??

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    CousinLarry said:
    Lee Dorsey was a boxer.

So was Jackie Wilson.

• thread has piqued my interest, a quick google search yields:
    http://www.houstonpress.com/2007-11-29/music/pro-athlete-musicians/

:shreddin_it: b/w

• Plus guys like Meadowlark Lemon of the Globetrotters, Joe Frazier and I think Oscar Robertson...

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    One of the few albums by a pro athlete that's sweated for musical reasons.

Bukka White was a boxer

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Rosey Grier (sometimes billed as Roosevelt Grier) put out a shitload of great soul singles in the 60s and 70s. He also had an album. If he weren't busy with the Los Angeles Rams, I could see him tearing it up on the chitlin-circuit. He sang like a less-paranoid James Carr.

Ernie Terrell, the boxer, also had a few good soul 45's to his credit.

BobDesperado said:

I had never seen this....worth the price of admission to this thread alone!!

Thanks.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    The_Hook_Up said:

Very cool....is that LP on Metromedia??

yep

Horseleech said:

Wow.....I've passed this up many times....what style is it??

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Wow, didn't know about Herb Bernstein.
    I heard that guy Hannibal played basketball.
    Oliver Sain played for the Cardinals.

• Options
    Who's that guy frequently seen at hoops games that wears the tie-dyes?

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Golden Gloves was standard bio for soul singers. Like singing in church.
    James Brown (who also claimed to have been a great baseball player) and Barry Gordy can be added to the above.

Willie Mays has a Duke 45 that doesn't suck.

Before the Shaqs there were lots of other sport celebrities who made records. Rosie Grere (also movies) Medowlark Lemon...

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Jack Johnson and Donovan Frankenreiter and Tom Curren.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    Horseleech said:

Wow.....I've passed this up many times....what style is it??

I've never heard the whole thing, but the cuts people go for have sort of a rural soft-psych sound.

The higher numbers on Popsike are, I think, the result of a contest that a radio station was having that involved finding a copy of the album. I can sell it easy for $20 - $25, though.

Not sure what's up with the weird video:

• cookbookcookbook 783 Posts
    Chris Webber produced on Nas' "Untitled"

[I've never heard the whole thing, but the cuts people go for have sort of a rural soft-psych sound.

Damn.....very Neil Young-like.......I know where there is a copy that I'll scoop up tomorrow....thanks.

• Options
    Rockadelic said:
    BobDesperado said:

Thanks.

"The late Tony Conigliaro, who at the age of 20 was the youngest player ever to lead the American League in homeruns, quietly recorded several records worth of material in the 60s, earning him a spot on ???The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson.??? Cancro also pointed out that, while the current lineup is obviously musically-inclined, the 60s had its fair share of musical talents on the team. In addition to Tony C., ???Rico Petrocelli played drums and one other player participated,??? Cancro reveals."

There's also this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370488217931&nma=true&rt=nc&si=4EhN9Nz/E9/H/jRVkGOQzLokweg=

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    Scott Radinsky was a pretty decent pitcher for the White Sox, Dodgers and a couple of other teams in the 90's. He also was lead singer for the hardcore band Scared Straight who put out a "classic" 7" called "You Drink, You Drive, You Die" in the late 80's. The band changed their name to Ten Foot Pole in the 90's and kicked him out because he was too busy with baseball. I think he owns a skate park in California now.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Evidently, this guy...

Won a Grammy in 1984 for co-writing...

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    My friend and Engineer, Jerm is producing a new LP for Tully Banta-Cain

some of the tracks are surprisingly good. a couple of e-40 appearances and a song with snoop. his older stuff is cringe-worthy:

(cant get it to embed)

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    BobDesperado said:
    Rockadelic said:
    BobDesperado said:

Thanks.

"The late Tony Conigliaro, who at the age of 20 was the youngest player ever to lead the American League in homeruns, quietly recorded several records worth of material in the 60s, earning him a spot on ???The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson.??? Cancro also pointed out that, while the current lineup is obviously musically-inclined, the 60s had its fair share of musical talents on the team. In addition to Tony C., ???Rico Petrocelli played drums and one other player participated,??? Cancro reveals."

There's also this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370488217931&nma=true&rt=nc&si=4EhN9Nz/E9/H/jRVkGOQzLokweg=

Wow... very cool! I have an autographed Tony Conigliaro bat that my mom got as a kid. Such a sad story...

http://www.bostonspastime.com/tonycbeaning.html

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts