Non-Dusty Fingers Crate Diggin'

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

• fejmelbafejmelba 1,139 Posts
    share all your shhhhs on facebook or twitter

• dammsdamms 704 Posts
    e-diggers UNITE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ha ha ha ha

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    I'm looking forward to a Diplo-promoting-Blackberry-style video of Frank, digging for records in Nigeria with his trusty iCrate app.

• I just digged = "professional crate digging" inna Euro styleeeee

• how much easier can digging get man? This is absurd.. also a lil tid bit for the 2015 crowd, fruity loops has a mobile app coming out as well.. combine the two? jeez

• add to Twitter, Facebook, with geo-location. It's like Web 2.0 social media vomited all over

• El PrezEl Prez NE Ohio 1,141 Posts
    I bet fools from this site are downloading this app right now....

• sweatshop said:
    I bet fools from this site are downloading this app right now....

Bought the app purely out of curiosity and had a feeling that it would fail. And I was mostly right. When digging, I want simplicity: is this title that I am not aware of collectible? what does it sound like? how much would does it normally go for if I am not going to file it? All of these questions can be answered with looking at apps or websites that already exists, i.e. - popsike, CF, etc. and listened to some tracks on youtube. All accessible available for the iPhone or other smart phones. At the end of the day the idea is something that I already do with other sources. Decent layout but not necessary.

• they lost me at "bar code on the cover".

hey, i just pulled og perhacs and khan jamal at the thrift, i'd better geo-tag this crate so my friends can come by later.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    herbacios tweed said:
    they lost me at "bar code on the cover".

• No app is ever going to be a substitute for a big, juicy brain and good taste.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    funky16corners said:
    No app is ever going to be a substitute for a big, juicy brain and good taste.

Even as a major proponent of mobile apps and technology in general, I don't see the use for apps like this. This is supposed to fall in the utility category, which means it should save time and/or provide value. It might provide some value, but talk about a waste of time... you can't be flipping through records when you have to check your damn phone every time you see something of interest. Pull that shit out, take a look for yourself, make a decision and then keep flipping.

One utility app that I do use frequently for many things including keeping a wants list is Evernote... www.evernote.com

An app would be pretty awesome with google googles.

I thought about this a year ago. If the tech was more matured. Where you could set up your phone and just flipped through records and in real time the app using somekinda image recognition application would automatically list the records and highlight records you are searching for or with certain criteria.

But it would need a huge database. Only a mix of something like google googles and discogs would work IMO.

DOR said:

I thought about this a year ago. If the tech was more matured. Where you could set up your phone and just flipped through records and in real time the app using somekinda image recognition application would automatically list the records and highlight records you are searching for or with certain criteria.

But it would need a huge database. Only a mix of something like google googles and discogs would work IMO.

Augmented reality technology has come a long way the past couple years, but it still has a long way to go before it's actually useful. It's just too damn slow still to be worth the effort on a grand scale. Real time image processing is some hardcore sh*t and we're pretty damn close to reaching maximum power/speed at a molecular level, so the next step is gonna have to be in compression/efficiency technology.

I know a lot of folks in the AR field right now, but they're almost all focused on advertising/coupon software. Typical

• we're almost there

selperfuge said:
    also when the camera scan identifies a balleur record the phone should play a MIDI bassline of junior mafia get money

FortyFivan said:
    DOR said:

Augmented reality technology has come a long way the past couple years, but it still has a long way to go before it's actually useful. It's just too damn slow still to be worth the effort on a grand scale. Real time image processing is some hardcore sh*t and we're pretty damn close to reaching maximum power/speed at a molecular level, so the next step is gonna have to be in compression/efficiency technology.

I know a lot of folks in the AR field right now, but they're almost all focused on advertising/coupon software. Typical

No doubt...

While I get people go where the money is. Wouldn't it be nice... I talked to one of the programmers at my work who I was dating for a time about maybe doing something along this. But they moved on to Android and wanna do a game HAHA!

• The image recog app is already out there through Amazon; it is called SnapTell but it is not going to recognize older rare vinyl yet. It does not work based on a barcode, just a picture of the item.

And yes, I wholeheartedly agree that a brain with some intuition is the best possible application for digging. YouTube and popsike, etc. are just supplemental.

• pj4533pj4533 481 Posts
    As someone who wrote an app that competes with the target market of this app, I was interested obviously. I think they have some good ideas, and I see what they are trying to do. However I think it is aimed at a different type of collector than me, either that, or the developers don't really understand collecting. But, it seems like they went the route likely to have the most commercial appeal. For example, they will probably get more reviews based on features that I'd rarely use (re: barcode scanner? wtf?) Maybe this is a future collectro thing....CDs/Books/whatnot. But my 45s don't have barcodes, sorry.

THAT SAID...with the flash and pizzazz they have, they might be able to sway someone like Gemm or popsike to collaborate, and then easily make my lil old app irrelevant. I'd love to have an API for Gemm built into ceeFrenzy so I could have that available more easily on the go.

But what I REALLY want is to do is write a licensed Manship app (or build it into ceeFrenzy). Anyone got juice enough to convince them? I sent emails years ago, didn't hear back.

-pj