Pizza

Comments

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    jjfad027 said:
    I was talkingwith someone the other day that said they don't really like Chicago Style pizza.

WTF? How does someone not like Chicago Style pizza?

• any u ever tried tlayudas? theyve been trying to call that shit mexican pizzas for years now.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    grandpa_shig said:
    any u ever tried tlayudas? theyve been trying to call that shit mexican pizzas for years now.

Yeah, outside of Oaxaca. It's more street food than pizza is. Meaning you can cook it on the street, but it also means the toppings can be somewhat patchy in their application. It's more like Mexican ingredients on top of a big poppadom.

• out here, the street version is usually folded over like a pregnant quesadilla. restaurant versions tend to keep their pizza shape.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    grandpa_shig said:
    folded over like pregnant quesadilla.

"grandma calsones"

• oh yeah, i saw they opened up a strawberry cones pizza joint in lil tokyo. thatd be like opening up a pizza hut in rome.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    that cone shit is failing miserably in my city

• only super desperate gaijin eat that shit. even in japan!

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    edulus said:
    but if you are comin up from lynchburg, shouldn't dr ho's be on your radar? i love the pizza there.

what about the spot in crozet ?

yes dr ho's, i always forget to order in advance & don't want to delay my travels
    (that place can be packed/backed up)
    ((batesville inn & the thai spot in colleen are also amazing for random rural locals))

• this conversation is usually about nyc and chicago or some such. im more interested in new haven coal fired pizza because of its rarity. coal ovens are outlawed everywhere except new haven, ct., and according to them, that makes all the difference. is this true?

• grandpa_shig said:
    this conversation is usually about nyc and chicago or some such. im more interested in new haven coal fired pizza because of its rarity. coal ovens are outlawed everywhere except new haven, ct., and according to them, that makes all the difference. is this true?

You need to get on a plane, or bus or whatever and get to New Haven. The pizza is INSANE. Seriously.

This place here...

http://www.pepespizzeria.com/

is THE SHIT.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    grandpa_shig said:
    this conversation is usually about nyc and chicago or some such. im more interested in new haven coal fired pizza because of its rarity. coal ovens are outlawed everywhere except new haven, ct.,

no.

http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2007/03/coal_oven_pizzerias_in_new_york_city.html

• Coal fired has gotta be the best pizza.... Native Tounges approved.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:
    CHICKEN PICCATA PIZZA

Sauce: Garlic and lemon infused olive oil
    Chicken
    Minced garlic
    Capers
    Vidalia onion
    Parsley
    Feta
    Lemon juice squeeze

Made this joint last night. Threw the onions in the pan with the garlic, lemon, and olive oil, then added the chicken near the end. Used the whole mixture in place of a sauce, then added the parsley and feta, then topped with scattered dollops of minced garlic, a smattering of capers, and lemon zest instead of the squeeze of lemon juice. It was pretty fucking boss.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts

best pie i've ever had was at little dom's in LA of all places.

South Brooklyn Pizza on 1st Ave b/t 7th and 8th has overshadowed all othe manhattan spots lately. too bad its $4 a slice!!

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:
    DB_Cooper said:
    CHICKEN PICCATA PIZZA

Sauce: Garlic and lemon infused olive oil
    Chicken
    Minced garlic
    Capers
    Vidalia onion
    Parsley
    Feta
    Lemon juice squeeze

Made this joint last night. Threw the onions in the pan with the garlic, lemon, and olive oil, then added the chicken near the end. Used the whole mixture in place of a sauce, then added the parsley and feta, then topped with scattered dollops of minced garlic, a smattering of capers, and lemon zest instead of the squeeze of lemon juice. It was pretty fucking boss.

How hot are u running your oven. What temp and for how long? im sure it depends on the ingrediants, but...

batmon said:
    How hot are u running your oven. What temp and for how long? im sure it depends on the ingrediants, but...

450 for about 14-15 minutes. The perforated pan is key because it allows you to use more wet ingredients and heavier toppings and still get that well-cooked crust. I know some folks go hotter and shorter, and I've made several at 400 for longer, but after a lot of experimentation, 450 is where it's at for me right now. Edit: we like our crust crispy. It'll be done at 450 in 11-12 minutes, but I need a little extra time for my tastes.

I may have to make that steak pizza this weekend. :beerbang:

• edulusedulus 421 Posts
    coffinjoe said:
    edulus said:
    but if you are comin up from lynchburg, shouldn't dr ho's be on your radar? i love the pizza there.

what about the spot in crozet ?

yes dr ho's, i always forget to order in advance & don't want to delay my travels
    (that place can be packed/backed up)
    ((batesville inn & the thai spot in colleen are also amazing for random rural locals))

i dont like crozet pizza that much.....personal opinion, lot of people swear by it. i can get behind the batesville inn, but im gonna need to hit that thai spot in colleen if you say its good. i am amazed by how many good thai spots there are in place like central fucking virginia.

the new spot for pizza in town is probably fabio's.

• funky16corners said:
    grandpa_shig said:
    this conversation is usually about nyc and chicago or some such. im more interested in new haven coal fired pizza because of its rarity. coal ovens are outlawed everywhere except new haven, ct., and according to them, that makes all the difference. is this true?

You need to get on a plane, or bus or whatever and get to New Haven. The pizza is INSANE. Seriously.

This place here...

is THE SHIT.

I've lived in CT for most of my life and only recently hit up Pepe's for the first time. My God. I've had brick-oven thin crust pizza in dozens of spots in CT/NY, but nothing has been nearly as memorable as Pepe's (though, admittedly, I haven't made it over to Modern Apizza yet ... the other celebrated NH spot). Pepe's crust is mouth wateringly delicious. The coal fired oven no doubt produces the perfect texture and smoky flavor, but their dough recipe alone is worth a mention. I went in there somewhat skeptical thinking, "how good could this really be?". After my first bite I thought, "oh ... that good." We went for the tomato pie with mozz and bacon. I'll probably get the same on my next visit.

On the subject of crust, you can make a killer dough pretty easily if you're not worried about its health merits. Take the recipe from the first post in this thread, use all all-purpose flour, scrap the gluten and flax, and add a little extra sugar, salt, garlic powder, onion powder, and oil to the mix. You can also add herbs and grated cheese, or use infused oil. Once you throw nutrition out the window, you can pretty much go to town.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:
    On the subject of crust, you can make a killer dough pretty easily if you're not worried about its health merits. Take the recipe from the first post in this thread, use all all-purpose flour, scrap the gluten and flax, and add a little extra sugar, salt, garlic powder, onion powder, and oil to the mix. You can also add herbs and grated cheese, or use infused oil. Once you throw nutrition out the window, you can pretty much go to town.

dont forget that NYC tap watter. not so - secret ingredient

• South Brooklyn Pizza on 1st Ave b/t 7th and 8th has overshadowed all othe manhattan spots lately. too bad its $4 a slice!!

yes, they are so good! It's still cheaper than Difara's and saves you the trip to Midwood...it's equally as good as Difara's.

• Snagglepus said:
    funky16corners said:
    grandpa_shig said:

This place here...

is THE SHIT.

I've lived in CT for most of my life and only recently hit up Pepe's for the first time. My God. I've had brick-oven thin crust pizza in dozens of spots in CT/NY, but nothing has been nearly as memorable as Pepe's (though, admittedly, I haven't made it over to Modern Apizza yet ... the other celebrated NH spot). Pepe's crust is mouth wateringly delicious. The coal fired oven no doubt produces the perfect texture and smoky flavor, but their dough recipe alone is worth a mention. I went in there somewhat skeptical thinking, "how good could this really be?". After my first bite I thought, "oh ... that good." We went for the tomato pie with mozz and bacon. I'll probably get the same on my next visit.

You have to go back and try the pie with the clams. Next level in every sense.

• grandpa_shig said:
    this conversation is usually about nyc and chicago or some such. im more interested in new haven coal fired pizza because of its rarity. coal ovens are outlawed everywhere except new haven, ct.

????

Coal oven pizza is available all over the place, including tons of them in NYC.

http://www.google.com/search?q=coal+oven+pizza&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

• hey, im just going by what some east coast ding dong told me about new haven. hell if i know. but it could allude to the fact that pepe's uses a white coal oven as opposed to the more common and less convoluted coal fired roman ovens. dont know why it would be banned except that it likely takes more fuel and thusly puts more shit in the air. in any case, there is a clear distinction being made for new haven pizza.

• there's an Italian restaurant in my town does a sweet pizza...just the base cooked with Nutella on it....sounds fucking horrible

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    grandpa_shig said:
    hey, im just going by what some east coast ding dong told me about new haven. hell if i know. but it could allude to the fact that pepe's uses a white coal oven as opposed to the more common and less convoluted coal fired roman ovens. dont know why it would be banned except that it likely takes more fuel and thusly puts more shit in the air. in any case, there is a clear distinction being made for new haven pizza.

you got it slightly twisted... i think what you are thinking of is that you cannot build a new COAL burning oven in nyc... however, w/ the sheer amount of pizzerias that have existed before the law went into effect and the amount of buildings that could be converted and grandfathered in (any old coal fired bakery), there was never been a shortage of coal fired pizza in NYC...

• jammyjammy remixing bongo rock... 813 Posts
    pizza joint down the street from here is the bomb. it's called 'stones pizza'. they do all kinds of pizzas and i believe they have won international awards. i haven't tried it but they are famous for their kangaroo and emu chorizo pizza titled 'the coat of arms'. hats off to eating our national emblems!

• My two favorite pizzerias in SF:

Una Pizza Napoletana

Tony's Pizza Napoletana