Please to recommended an external sound card....

El PrezEl Prez NE Ohio 1,141 Posts
edited February 2011 in Strut Central
OK I have been using this G$ mac for a looooong time to do mixes running my mixer through a M Audio Audiophile 2496 sound card. Well the mac finally died on me so I am going to use a G5 power mac. Thing is my M Audio 2496 is not compatiable with this computer so I am looking to get a external sound card and I am looking to pay no more than $200. I only need to run through my mixer ( two rca in) and connect my two monitors ( two speakers out). Any suggestions?

Comments

• jammyjammy remixing bongo rock... 813 Posts
    for something that basic i would stick with m-audio and go with the m-audio 'fast track pro'.

• El PrezEl Prez NE Ohio 1,141 Posts
    jammy said:
    for something that basic i would stick with m-audio and go with the m-audio 'fast track pro'.

can I run my rca lines from my mixer straight to this device as well as my speaker lines?

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    lexicon alpha or Lambda
    they are not flashy, but Lexicon has been making pro audio for a long time and they work well for what they are, i have been using the alpha for 2-3 years now and it has never let me down yet

• arvidarvid 50 Posts
    If you're going for an external audio device, I would recommend you a firewire audio device.
    I think M-audio also sells firewire interfaces for a reasonable price, that will do the trick.

Here are 2 links, which explane the difference between USB and Firewire

http://www.ehow.com/about_5446149_firewire-vs-usb-audio-interface.html

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/firewire-vs-usb.html

• jammyjammy remixing bongo rock... 813 Posts
    m-audio do a bunch of cheap soundcards that are half decent. usb and firewire. check out their web site or something. there will defenitley be something to fit the bill. i would never buy anything lower than m-audio when it comes to soundcards

jammy said:
    l. i would never buy m-audio when it comes to soundcards

i have found m-audio's low end cards to sound very "clashy and harsh" if that makes sense, their higher range gear can sound nice, especially the Pro Tools rig they do, but at that price you would be far better off with apoge (you may even get away with 2nd hand duet for the money you want to spend). If you are just using the card for making mixes, there is absolutely no reason you need to specifically get a firewire card.

• El PrezEl Prez NE Ohio 1,141 Posts
    the_dL said:
    jammy said:
    l. i would never buy m-audio when it comes to soundcards

i have found m-audio's low end cards to sound very "clashy and harsh" if that makes sense, their higher range gear can sound nice, especially the Pro Tools rig they do, but at that price you would be far better off with apoge (you may even get away with 2nd hand duet for the money you want to spend). If you are just using the card for making mixes, there is absolutely no reason you need to specifically get a firewire card.

I looked at the apoge duet but even the used ones are out of the range I am trying to spend. Although I do like the apoge duet ..... I just need to be able to record mixes to my hard drive from my two turntables and mixer, and to also import songs from vinyl to edit/mix in ableton live.

http://cgi.ebay.com/LEXICON-OMEGA-DESKTOP-RECORDING-CUBASE-LE-4-FREE-REVERB-/280627176104?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4156aee2a8

you can spend more and get a firewire, but unless you are playing instruments over very layered beats usb2 is fine, infact i have used my entry level alhpa to record intruments over beats for quite a few projects, make beats, make mixes and do edits and as I said it has served me very well. The next card i will look at will be the Apogee Symphony, but at $1600+ its a whole new ball park.

Inner Vizions by thedlch
    this is an unfinished rough draft, but this beat was made with some friends playing instruments over loops using a USB soundcard, we didnt have any issues with latency at all.

http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/mixes/indepth/slow_burners/

and a mix that was recorded also on the entry level soundcard