Vincent Cassel - What is your favorite role of his?

downtownrobbrowndowntownrobbrown 446 Posts
edited February 2011 in Strut Central
Just watched Mesrine: Part 1 on Netflix Instant. Check it out if you like Gangster films. Dude is one of the best actors going.

As far as my favorite role...I'd guess I'd say Irreversible.

Comments

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    He was superb in "Mesrine" part 1 & 2. Those are my favorite roles.

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts

I need to see more of his work

• glad he's on the rise lately

I agree Irreversible is hard to top

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    La haine and brotherhood of the wolf.

• Not my favorite, but I liked him in that Derailed flick.

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    The Nightfox.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Anyone see "NOTRE JOUR VIENDRA" yet? Looks mad crazy. I want to see this..........

http://twitchfilm.com/reviews/2010/09/tiff-2010-our-day-will-come-review.php

Though it remains to be seen whether he will be loved our hated by audiences at large - and both seem equally likely - there is no doubt at all that Our Day Will Come announces the arrival of Romain Gavras as a significant new talent in world cinema. Though working with a very different style, Gavras embraces the same sort of fuck you abrasiveness that has made Lars Von Trier such a polarizing presence on the world scene and we should expect nothing less from Gavras.

A cynical outsider epic, Our Day Will Come is the story of Remy and Patrick, a pair of misfits joined together by their dislike of society and their red hair. Patrick (Vincent Cassel) is a psychotherapist sick to death of listening to the banalities of people's problems and pretending to care. He is cynical in the extreme and seemingly desperate for anything he can manipulate for his own entertainment. And that object comes in the form of Remy, a boy in his late teens from a shitty family that treats him horribly who has been ostracized for his entire life, other children fixating on the color of his hair as the prime fodder for their teasing. Once the two meet sparks fly immediately.

Patrick stumbles across Remy as the youth runs down the road away from his home, where he has just assaulted his mother and sister. On a whim Patrick picks the boy up and offers a ride and begins to play, his training giving him ample skills to read and manipulate Remy's obvious insecurities. It begins with Patrick winning Remy's trust, offering to help him, but the help soon turns to Patrick picking fights that Remy cannot avoid and pushing the young man into ever more extreme and uncomfortable situations.

But what Patrick does not anticipate, perhaps, is that his goading will unlock something in Remy, a desperation for acceptance fused with a facility for violence, and before long Remy has taken charge of the situation and forced Remy to take him on an increasingly sociopathic road trip to the ferry that will take them to Ireland where Remy dreams he will assume the mantle of a sort of redhead messiah.

There is absolutely no doubt that Gavras is a wildly self indulgent film maker, one prone to ranting and bursts of rage. But there is also no doubt that Gavras has the skills and intelligence to back that indulgence up, his debut feature constantly writhing and twisting itself into new, unexpected shapes. He is bold and brash and one wonders if Remy is not simply a replacement for himself in the film with the brilliant Vincent Cassel - who turns in an absolutely bravura performance here while also serving as a producer - egging him on and goading him ever farther from the sidelines.

Not quite a genre film, not quite an arthouse film, Our Day Will Come is a powerful hybrid with a unique, sharply focused eye and a restlessly misanthropic sense of creativity. In many ways Our Day Will Come is this year's Ex Drummer, an instant cult title in the making.

• phatmoneysack said:

My favourite movie of his too, I also agree that irreversible is a hard watch.

For sheer entertainment check out "Doberman"

• phatmoneysack said:

• phatmoneysack said:

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    I liked his mafiya slimeball in Eastern Promises, but his turn in La Haine was one of the great "who's this guy..?" performances of the 90s.

• definitely have to go with La Haine

• La Haine... just 'cos.

• olsunolsun 35 Posts
    La Haine... and he's great in Notre Jour Viendra... he played in a couple of awful movies too, besides..

• he is amazing in mesrine as well, loved every minute of those films.

• .. and we probably should point out he is a celebrity diggeur. He was in a court-metrages called "The Funk Hunt" which tells the story of a mad race to find wax. He is also very much active in and beloved by the French hip hop community.

here's The Funk Hunt if you ain't seen it

• JamalJamal 410 Posts
    La Haine...off course.

here some footage when he was young with his brother freestylin..(in the hood..which is kinda weird since their father is a well known actor in France..) French ghetto's are crazy..

Im also here barring gifts..well one gift..for those that didnt watch the movie : "Un prophete".. Go watch that shit!
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1235166/

• Sheitan. Shit will fuck you up.

Cassell has been my favorite actor for a minute now. He is one of the few cats out there that doesn't play the same role every time.

• KaushikKaushik 320 Posts
    Liked him in Ocean's 12 and 13, but his role as husband of this lovely lady makes me envious as hell. Lucky bastard.

http://www.iol.co.za/lifestyle/people/monica-bellucci-values-loyalty-over-fidelity-1.1041148

The brunette beauty insists she is still besotted with her husband, who she married in 1999, but admits there are times when they don???t get along.

She told Style magazine: ???I think he???s sexy. It???s important to go on thinking that about your husband. But Vincent is not a normal man. Sometimes I love him so much, sometimes I want to kill him.???

• Monica Bellucci is a goddess.

• RisingsonRisingson 696 Posts
    ^^^ never realised they were married....fuck, Irreversible must have been a nightmare for him

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    If you like Cassel and Belucci

try catching this mid nineties flick that stars both - completely ott french bankrobber jawn

Doberman