Pizza

DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
edited February 2011 in Strut Central
Rep your spot. Rep your city's specialties. And especially rep your recipes. I make a lot of pizza at home with the lady, and I'm always looking for new recipes.

I'll sprankle a few sureshots, including the secret to making the perfect healthy crust:

CRUST

1 cup unbleached flour
1 cup whole wheat flour (or oat, whatever healthy stuff you use)
1 tbsp gluten enhancer
1 tbsp flax
1 packet yeast
2 sugar cubes or two teaspoons agave, honey, etc.
1 cup water

Start your yeast per the package's instructions with 1 cup of warm water and a sugar cube (or substitute???I use agave). Mix the flours, gluten enhancer, flax, and the rest of the sugar in a large bowl. Once the yeast is popping, add it to the flour, then knead in additional flour until you've got a nice coherent ball. Let it hang out by your preheating stove for about ten minutes, then spread. For best results, use a perforated pizza pan like this:

I know some dudes use pizza stones, but I don't have one, so.......yeah.

CHICKEN PICCATA PIZZA

Sauce: Garlic and lemon infused olive oil
Chicken
Minced garlic
Capers
Vidalia onion
Parsley
Feta
Lemon juice squeeze

STEAK DITMARS PIZZA

Sauce: Caramelized onion
Marinated steak
Mushrooms
Red onion
Horseradish
Thyme
Gorgonzola
Mozzarella

Marinate the steak in a mixture of Worcestershire, soy sauce, red wine, beer, and agave for 24 hours

Comments

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:
    Rep your spot. Rep your city's specialties.

http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2011/02/patxis-pizza-san-franciscos-best-chicago-style-stuffed-pizza.html

I may get a slice after class.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    My favorite Pizza spot here in B-More is this place Pizza John's. They been in the same location and family ran for almost 50 yrs. My favorite is a large w/ extra cheese, pepperoni & meat sauce.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    elise said:

I hit up their Palo Alto location on the reg.

• JamalJamal 410 Posts
    hmmm.

did you ever try and make your own dough?

here's a nice link
    http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/homemade_pizza/

also this one:

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    Pizza Chicago in Mountain View is good

South Lake Tahoe Pizza Company in Tahoe is excellent

How's Amichis? Anyone fusk with it? I'm curious

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    PUTTANESCA PIZZA

Sauce: Fire-roasted organic tomato with red wine vinegar and garlic
    Basil
    Cured olives
    Capers
    Walnuts
    Anchovies (optional)
    Gorgonzola
    Mozzarella

ORCHARD PIZZA

Sauce: Goat cheese cream
    Caramelized onions
    Green apple
    Prosciutto
    Romano

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    East Side Pies, Austin, TX...

• Options
    Hi! My Parakeet's name is Pizza.

Thanks for sharing, especially the crust recipe. Sometimes I make little pizzas on whole wheat English muffins. I hope to get a Pizza pan so I can use that recipe. I hear if you spray a little water on the sides of the oven while it is baking that it helps the crust rise.

I like Woodstocks for Happy Hour and I like the Village Bakery because they treat me pretty nice. I also like Steve's Pizza, they have a pizza called the Steve, so I go there when my mom and stepdad are visiting.

DB_Cooper said:
    PUTTANESCA PIZZA

Basil
    Cured olives
    Capers
    Walnuts
    Anchovies (optional)
    Gorgonzola
    Mozzarella

That sounds hella good. Put some red pepper flakes...yum

I'm not that big of a fan of Chicago style. When I eat pizza I like to have more than one slice. With Chicago style I eat one slice and I'm finished.

I made a pizza with chorizo and apricots once that was awesome

jjfad027 said:
    DB_Cooper said:
    PUTTANESCA PIZZA

Basil
    Cured olives
    Capers
    Walnuts
    Anchovies (optional)
    Gorgonzola
    Mozzarella

That sounds hella good. Put some red pepper flakes...yum

Oh, it is. It's all about setting up a really tangy sauce to act as a foundation for all of the other piquant ingredients. These tomatoes are my jam:

jjfad027 said:
    pizza with chorizo and apricots

Oh, hell yes. Please elaborate.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    The Pizza Research Institute in Eugene, OR is on some next level ish. Their deluxe has so much on it, that it even includes a dallop of dessert on it...

• if you find yourself in Providence, this Stuffed Pizza is the bees knees: http://www.siciliapizzeria.com/prov_pizzas.html

If you ever find yourself in Queens, this spot is legit:

It's also right across the street from my apartment, which is nice.

• *TIP FOR THE KEEN HOME PIZZA MAKER

Once you've made your dough - had it prove and rise etc - you should keep a good fist sized ball of it uncooked in the fridge. Use THIS instead of the yeast / sugar etc for your next batch of dough.... it'll last for 7-10 days in an air tight container in the fridge.

Just take it from the fridge the night before you want to use and put in a warm place to 'reactivate'. In the morning cut into small sized chunks and then mix with warm water & your chosen flour to form a dough, kneed it and then leave to prove during the day. That night it's just a case of adding flour and kneeding / working the dough until it's right

It takes longer to rise / prove etc... and might seem a bit of a hassle, but once you get this technique down it's amazing what a difference it makes to the taste and texture of your bases.

Repeat these steps for a while and eventually you've got a bread / dough starter that is really operating on naturally occuring yeast / bacteria and sugars - like a cheats version of sour dough starter... and much easier.

As for toppings - it's all about the classics. Though this one seems a hit in our house at the moment and it does not have any tomato base so it's good for a change

Pizza Bianca (ingredients in order added to base)
    Olive Oil
    Grated Parmesean (just enough to bind toppings to base)
    Mushrooms
    Ham
    Mozzarella
    Fresh Oregano
    Salt & Pepper
    * drizzel with White Truffle Oil when serving if you're feeling fancy

Oh... and while this guy (http://www.dantespizza.co.nz/) is a 30mins drive out of town, he is the s**t when it comes to making woodfired pizza.

DB_Cooper said:
    jjfad027 said:

I used to have an apricot tree and I dried some apricots. Sliced those thinly and used smoked chorizo and some feta I believe. I used smoked chorizo. If you use regular chorizo it would probably be good to precook it. Otherwise the pizza will might be greasy.

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    i live in a pizza waisteland,

closest decent slice is in c'ville

christians

in dc

vace's

all time best yearly visit

pizza house springfield mo

jjfad027 said:
    DB_Cooper said:
    jjfad027 said:

I used to have an apricot tree and I dried some apricots. Sliced those thinly and used smoked chorizo and some feta I believe. I used smoked chorizo. If you use regular chorizo it would probably be good to precook it. Otherwise the pizza will might be greasy.

That sounds awesome. I think I'm going to try with a twist:

CHORIZO APRICOT PIZZA

Sauce: Olive oil mixed with brandy
    Smoked chorizo
    Dried apricots
    Green onion
    Cilantro
    Feta

DB_Cooper said:
    jjfad027 said:
    DB_Cooper said:
    jjfad027 said:

That sounds awesome. I think I'm going to try with a twist:

CHORIZO APRICOT PIZZA

Sauce: Olive oil mixed with brandy
    Smoked chorizo
    Dried apricots
    Green onion
    Cilantro
    Feta

Nice!

Brandy part seems interesting

jjfad027 said:

Yeah, it's a take on a technique I use in making Beef Bourginon. In that recipe, you add cognac to a pan of stew beef and bacon while browning, then light it on fire. The alcohol burns off while the cognac flavor sears into the meat. I figure I can throw the chorizo in a pan with olive oil, start browning a bit, do the same thing with the brandy, then use the resulting oil as a sauce.
    :necessary:

DB_Cooper said:
    jjfad027 said:

Yeah, it's a take on a technique I use in making Beef Bourginon. In that recipe, you add cognac to a pan of stew beef and bacon while browning, then light it on fire. The alcohol burns off while the cognac flavor sears into the meat. I figure I can throw the chorizo in a pan with olive oil, start browning a bit, do the same thing with the brandy, then use the resulting oil as a sauce.
    :necessary:

Cool. I recommend getting chorizo from a legit mexican carniceria if possible. The chorizo at big supermarket chains can be

• My favorite pizza in Memphis is a spot called Fox Ridge...been eating it for over 30 years, it was the only pizza my folks and I would go get when we wanted pizza. Its a pretty unique pie, never have had another like it. The crust is biscuit-like and they dont skimp on toppings...I always like green olives on my pie and they put them on unsliced...they just throw the fuckers on there whole, looks like a buncha green marbles on it.

I was talkingwith someone the other day that said they don't really like pizza.

WTF? How does someone not like pizza?

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts

Mexican Pizza:
    Ranchero sauce
    Queso blanco
    Avocado
    Chiles
    Homemade Crema on top

• Spot

Doughboy Pizza Potts Point
    165 Victoria St. Potts Point 2011

At Home

We used to make our bases all the time, now we fucks with them souvlaki store bought joints. They crisp up on the stone better.

Toppings
    Grilled zuchini
    Buffalo mozarella
    Anchovy
    Home made tomato sauce

Or....
    Procuttio
    Buffalo mozzarella
    Sauce
    rocket & lemon juice once it's out of the oven

Pizza taste like ass with too many toppings.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

5 cheese white pizza at amelio's
    bring your own delicous white wine to cut through the richness

thanks for all the recipes (especially crust) i like the way you roll DBizzle

• DC

the chi-chi shit:
    - Seventh Hill in Eastern Market. really fucking good. first time i went there, the owner goes [in a playfully arrogant way] "hey stussy shirt, how you like that pizza?"

for a drunken slice:
    - Italian Pizza Kitchen on U [knocked out Manny & Olga's after opening last year]

• edulusedulus 421 Posts
    coffinjoe said:
    i live in a pizza waisteland,

closest decent slice is in c'ville

christians

boo christians. i loved frank's they moved to harrisonburg and are called franco's now. but if you are comin up from lynchburg, shouldn't dr ho's be on your radar? i love the pizza there.