toro y moi "underneath the pine" yay or nay?

spivyspivy 866 Posts
edited February 2011 in Strut Central
big yay! this record is great. love the direction this dude is heading. gary wilson vibes @ times. funky lo fi disco jamz! electric piano solos. still sound is the standout for me.

Comments

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    like it. He sounds white, just saying...

• oh i definitely like it. kind of rock and soul at times

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Haven't had a chance to listen to it yet, will report back. I liked 'Causers of this' doe & I dig the fact that he has gone in a different direction on this one.

• LOVE IT.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    I am so in love.

• I am so in like. Of this sound. I'm going to go hear more of this fellow.

• elise said:
    I am so in love.

• uttersutters 321 Posts
    I am clutching this in my hands! bought the cd today

massive, massive fan of 'causers of this', definitely one of the best beatmakers around

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    I think its great!

I saw him perform some of it live last friday.

Very cool stuff!

• hella yay

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    HELL YES.
    Im going to see him to night. Underneath the pines has really brought out his song writing ability. I loved Causers but so many of those songs felt like sketches and interludes. I like the live band direction that Pines has taken.

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    kicks79 said:
    Underneath the pines has really brought out his song writing ability. I loved Causers but so many of those songs felt like sketches and interludes. I like the live band direction that Pines has taken.
    this shit right here man

• I give it a yay, really liked Causers too. Waiting for a new Washed Out though.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Also haven't heard this yet but should be picking it up later in the week. Interested to hear how his sound has changed as I thought Causers was promising but not quite there as a finished product.

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts
    spivy said:
    big yay! this record is great. love the direction this dude is heading. gary wilson vibes @ times. funky lo fi disco jamz! electric piano solos. still sound is the standout for me.

Trying to get him for a feature on my album, love his stuff.

• I downloaded a mix of his with some of your MCDE stuff on it. Good luck on the collaboration.

• Contender for worst album cover ever.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Garcia_Vega said:
    Contender for worst album cover ever.

Reminds me of when Luke had to cut the Tauntaun in half to survive on Hoth.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:
    b/w
    "I'll treat you like a Tauntaun and slash your flesh"

I'm getting the impression that Empire Strikes Back still looms pretty lahge in the Boston consciousness. Maybe it's all the snow.

Anyway, I like that Toro Y Moi record, though my early feeling is that it's maybe not as striking as the last one, maybe a little more smooved-out. I give dude credit for busting out (well, to the extent that getting that Boomkat money equals "busting out") of Columbia, SC, which is really kind of a fucking armpit. Only place I've ever seen a tribute-band tribute band.

I'm not mad at the cover, either. Marilyn Minter For Her.

james said:
    DB_Cooper said:
    b/w
    "I'll treat you like a Tauntaun and slash your flesh"

I'm getting the impression that Empire Strikes Back still looms pretty lahge in the Boston consciousness. Maybe it's all the snow.

I've actually seen a lot of Hoth references among this winter's Boston Facebookery, so I think you're onto something there. But what does it mean for this year's AL East race? These are the questions that try men's souls. Or fuel drunken arguments at Sully's Tap, at least.

As for Toro, I'm still digesting him, like Boba Fett with the Sarlacc of the Great Pit of Carkoon in Return of the Jedi. All I can say at this point is Toro > Toto - "Hold the Line."

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Heard about it in three random unrelated places - SStrut included.
    "chillwave" giggle

Nay.
    I guess the same way OFWGKTA isn't for some, this isn't for me.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    Reynaldo said:

Yes.

• bassie said:
    Heard about it in three random unrelated places - SStrut included.
    "chillwave" giggle

Yeah, that term is just as ridiculous as me calling Odd Future "horrorcore" (which, for the record, I said in jest).

I really like this Toro Y Moi album, especially the disco-ey "New Beat" and "Still Sound." I also really like Odd Future's album, specifically Tyler's, Earl Sweatshirt's and that Frank Ocean album I heard for the first time yesterday.

bassie said:
    Nay.
    I guess the same way OFWGKTA isn't for some, this isn't for me.

Yes. Nay. To the Causers album anyway. Not that I think it's objectively bad???it's just not doing it for me. It sounds to me like Cut Copy listened to Jay Dee for a year, then tried to channel Stevie Wonder through an 80s effects panel. I can see how it would really do it for other folks, though.

• uttersutters 321 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:
    It sounds to me like Cut Copy listened to Jay Dee for a year, then tried to channel Stevie Wonder through an 80s effects panel
    sounds good to me!