PC virus protection (NRR)

rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
edited December 2010 in Strut Central
Who got the best/most cost effective virus protection software? I just wiped my Dell and need to reinstall everything.

Kaspersky Internet Security is $40 for the first year. Is Kaspersky what's really?

Please to school me.

Comments

• microsoft security essentials is free and seems to work fine.

• crabmongerfunk said:
    microsoft security essentials is free and seems to work fine.

• avg free edition has worked perfectly for me

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    chrisflyer said:
    crabmongerfunk said:

Using this with malwarebytes is probably your best bet. We use both at work. Tho, I'm on either a mac or linux most of the time, but for all our pc boxes, they are used non-stop.

There is other things that are great to use as well with these.

But microsoft security essentials seens to be a pretty decent product so far.

• as others have recommended MSE (microsoft security essentials) works awesome, its a light weight nonintrusive antivirus, i have been using it for a while and nuthin beats free these days!

i have been virus free for at least the last 2 yrs

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Six months ago i would have recommended webroot, i used them for years and their suite was rock fucking solid.

Then they changed the UI, and started requiring updates every fortnight. Updates which did not work and forced me to remove the programe in safe mode then reinstall every bloody time.

After fuck all help form their customer support i can happily say that webroot can now eat a fat bag of dicks.

AVG free is my new shit.

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    AVG Free.

• nzshadow said:
    Six months ago i would have recommended webroot, i used them for years and their suite was rock fucking solid.

yeah after the founder commited suicide their whole model went apeshit...i havent touched their products since, i used spysweeper for 2 yrs, was an awesome product..

• Grandfather said:
    avg free edition has worked perfectly for me

yup, been using it for 5 years now. been great.

• sooooo................ uhhhhhhh..............

what do you do when your computer already has a virus and you need to remove it? same software?

[yeah, i know i fucked up]

• eset nod32

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    sooooo................ uhhhhhhh..............

what do you do when your computer already has a virus and you need to remove it? same software?

[yeah, i know i fucked up]

Combofix

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/combofix/how-to-use-combofix

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    Btw it is probably Malware and not a Virus

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I pay for McAfee and use Micosoft shit.

I caught my first virus ever last month when a dumb lady friend clicked on the wrong site and froze my shit up. A friend had me download the Microsoft security.

• in addition to microsoft security essentials, i have been using "Super Anti Spyware" both of which are capable of removing viruses and malware on already infected computers. from my experience, it typically involves a scan then a a quarantine and removal procedure that will restart the comp.

• I don't think any single approach will catch everything, I'm using Avast, Macafee, Norton and Microsoft - no problems so far.

Windows seven also has a backup/restore feature, though I haven't used it yet.

• on all the AVG recommendations

Spybot Search and Destroy and AdAware are great freeware programs too. they get in deep

coldgritz said:
    on all the AVG recommendations

Spybot Search and Destroy and AdAware are great freeware programs too. they get in deep

I think Spybot Search and Destroy and AdAware take too long. They scan and scan and scan, then reboot, and scan some more. Combofix tends to find more and works in a fraction of the time because it only scans what is necessary instead of every file. I used to swear by Spybot Search and Destroy and AdAware though, but after using Combofix for the last couple years I like it much more.

• it would appear as though my problem has been fixed. i downloaded the microsoft essentials thing and it did a 4 hour scan which eventually found and took care of the infected files.

i believe the virus originated from oneclickmoviez.com, so be wary.

vintageinfants said:
    it would appear as though my problem has been fixed. i downloaded the microsoft essentials thing and it did a 4 hour scan which eventually found and took care of the infected files.

i believe the virus originated from oneclickmoviez.com, so be wary.

My point exactly. Microsoft Security Essentials is great as a preventative measure, but it took 4 hours of scanning to clean the malware off. Combofix would have that shit cleaned off in 15 minutes.

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    chrisflyer said:
    crabmongerfunk said:

I was only just recently put onto the microsoft essentials thing, apparently they are not allowed to advertise/package it due to anti competitive laws, so they offer it for free but it is basically as good as mcafee etc