Gaddafi

FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
edited February 2011 in Strut Central
Are you guys following this shit? There are new reports that he's using fighter jets against demonstrators... helicopters and jets are firing into crowds. Reuters just reported two pilots fled by taking their jets over to Malta and asking for political asylum.

His psycho son was talking about letting rivers of blood run through Libya on a televised statement last night.

Comments

• Hes killing soldiers that refuse to fire on protesters. Shit is crazy.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    His son is an absolute nutcase.

This won't be pretty. 220 confirmed killed already

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    The way he handled the swiss situation with his son was a sign of things to come
    my thoughts are with the people,
    i was suprised to see the libyan arab league dude talk badly of him
    this will end horribly but i hope it ends with this thief and egomaniac gone

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    also as a poli-sci major this situation is throwing a wrench in the theory
    duty to protect vs monopoly of violence and the fact that massive public protest can mean deligitimization while failing to ensure public order can do the same. Diplomats and army men are defecting, its all insane

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I hope this ends soon and that Gaddafi is gone for good.

If I am not mistaken, the USA and Euro recently decided that Gaddafi was rehabilitated and his oil didn't stink no more.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    LaserWolf said:

If I am not mistaken, the USA and Euro recently decided that Gaddafi was rehabilitated and his oil didn't stink no more.

It might not have made the news here in the US but it was BP that made a deal with Gaddafi and had brokered the Lockerbie bomber being set free in the exchange for some lucrative drilling contracts.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Frank said:
    LaserWolf said:

It might not have made the news here in the US but it was BP that made a deal with Gaddafi and had brokered the Lockerbie bomber being set free in the exchange for some lucrative drilling contracts.
    Yup, it made the news here, but you had to hunt to the headlines.
    Libya has a small population (6.5mill) with a large amount of oil that Gaddafi has used to subsidize the lives of Libyan citizenry and construct a manmade desert river, but he doesn't allow free press and the police lock up political prisoners. I think if Gaddafi bribed more and used a light touch, he might've been fine, but the hard line arouses the passions of the people and the world.
    I guess Gaddafi is making up for his bloodless coup d'etat in 1969.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Libya was trying to make overtures to the U.S. to make up since the Clinton administration. No one listened though. The Bush administration finally agreed to normalize relations beginning in 2005 I think. Qaddafi had to renounce all of his WMD programs.

• I lived in Libya as a kid for a couple of years. My father taught at Al-Fateh University in Tripoli. One day, they erected gallows near his office and were hanging political prisoners on campus. This was in April 1983 and Googleable. The joke went that Gaddhafi's revolution was only bloodless because he hung people.

My friend's mother was one of his physicians, and would tell us about how paranoid he was. We lived near a palace he had built to host visitors located and apparently he would secretly spend a lot nights there rather than his compound in the city. He was a douche then and is a douche now.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    HerringAndVodka said:
    I lived in Libya as a kid for a couple of years. My father taught at Al-Fateh University in Tripoli. One day, they erected gallows near his office and were hanging political prisoners on campus. This was in April 1983 and Googleable. The joke went that Gaddhafi's revolution was only bloodless because he hung people.

My friend's mother was one of his physicians, and would tell us about how paranoid he was. We lived near a palace he had built to host visitors located and apparently he would secretly spend a lot nights there rather than his compound in the city. He was a douche then and is a douche now.

Welcome to the board.

Thank you for sharing your personal insight.

• The_Non said:
    Frank said:
    LaserWolf said:

Yup, it made the news here, but you had to hunt to the headlines.

Actually the always-sinister NY Post has published several lengthy articles about this.

• Glad he's on his way out. Not glad about how many people have to be killed to do so. A country can turn on a leader, but a leader NEVER turns on their country.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    My Uncle is currently hiding out in the Libyan desert somewhere. He says where he works is too far out in the middle of nowhere to be effected by this, but still..

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    al-Megrahi was convicted for the Lockerbie bombing, highly unlikely he actually did it though.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,890 Posts
    Read through a lot of stuff regarding Lockerbie, looks like he was put forward as a sacrifice to keep everyone sweet. You get the impression, after reading enough of this kind of story, that it would be impossible to maintain cashflow in the West without dealing with these nutcase murderers. You have to shake that shitty hand and then spend years trying to clean off what you can (the Yvonne Fletcher case is still ongoing).

You also have to take into account that the West have no qualms about popping off a motherf*cker if these situations reach a diplomatic impasse.

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    Re: Yvonne Fletcher. Wasn't there some C4 documentary where they proved the shot came from elsewhere? Not to descend this thread into conspiracy...

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,890 Posts
    Didn't see it but Wiki has:

Participants who appeared in Channel 4's Dispatches documentary entitled Murder In St. James's highlighted such issues as the velocity of the bullet and the angle at which it entered Fletcher's body. Lt-Col Styles stated that a high velocity bullet from a Sterling submachine gun would have passed straight through her body at an angle of 15??, and Hugh Thomas rebutted evidence given by Ian West, the pathologist at the inquest, that the 60?? angle of entry of the bullet could be explained by Fletcher's turning to the right or left.

The film went on to allege that the anti-Gaddafi organisation Al Burkan, which was allegedly funded by the Reagan White House, had obtained a gun from the Hein terrorist group in West Berlin, and used it to kill Fletcher with a single shot from the sixth floor penthouse at 3 St James's Square - the building adjacent to the embassy. According to the film, the head of Al Burkan, Ragab Zatout, planned to overthrow Gaddafi and seize control of Libya's oil wealth after the severing of diplomatic relations, but his coup attempt on 8 May 1984 was thwarted by the Libyan army.

Nobody has ever been convicted of her murder, though after 15 years the Libyan government finally accepted responsibility for her death and agreed to pay compensation to her family.

• Jeff Fort might could help here.

• dammsdamms 704 Posts
    wow are y'all watching the news ?
    the guy has completely lost it

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    His live speech is insane

''I am not the president if I was i would resign but it have no official position, all i have is my rifle''
    ''The protesters are drug addicts, go out on the streets and disarm them''
    ''Those who believe'' in me as the revolution stop being cowards and go to the streets, these are your children bring them back to order''
    ''Do you want America to come and occupy you like afghanistan and pakistan, do you want the italians to come back?''
    ''The punishement for those who challenge the state is death!''

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    I will die on Iranian soil
    He has some tribe leaders (sons of the revolution or something) armed and ready and his paid mercenaries
    he want a bloodbath...this is frightening

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts

That bloke's a nutter.

Enjoyed the audible sighs from the translator.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    is it really hard to sneak someone in to blow his fukkin face off?

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    He's gone batshit crazy... I hope he and his pinhead sons won't make it through the week and will get the martyrdom they claim they are ready to face instead of just hauling ass.

On the other hand it'd be interesting to see where they'd go to.
    My first guesses would be Equatorial Guinea or maybe Burkina Faso.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    i'd bet guinea as well
    you know how much he loves his african ''brothers''
    and they have those handy drug traficking landing strips that are oh so subtle

• edulusedulus 421 Posts
    wow. wow. wow. he knows that he is done. its just a matter of how many people are gonna die.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    pcmr said:
    i'd bet guinea as well
    you know how much he loves his african ''brothers''
    and they have those handy drug traficking landing strips that are oh so subtle

Guinea just got a new government and would be unlikely. My money would be on Equatorial Guinea or maybe even more likely Burkina Faso. Blaise Compaore would be a gracious host, I'm sure.

• jaymack said:
    is it really hard to sneak someone in to blow his fukkin face off?

they tried that, once